Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Advice Needed - Staying Near Disneyland

Old Nov 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I have a friend visiting France the first part of December. They are staying in the Marriott (timeshare) near Disneyland which appears to be about an hour from Paris by the RER train.

She would like to go into Paris 4-5 days. Should she a) rent a car and attempt to find parking or b) just rely on the RER and metro each day? How much would it be daily to do so? I've also suggested staying at least one night in Paris to string two full days together. If she did stay, can anyone recommend a decent/clean hotel near the main attractions that would be sufficient for showering/sleeping?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM

I read about those staying in the Marriott timeshares from time to time. Any money saved by staying there is often consumed by transportation costs into the city. The RER A takes about 45 minutes to reach the center of Paris. The travel options are as follows:

1. Mobilis pass - unlimited one day travel - 13.65€ (not valid for travel to/from airports)

2. Navigo Découverte - 33.40€ per week starting on Mondays plus a 5€ charge for the card. A passport sized photo is also required.

3. One way ticket, zone 1-5 - approximately 6€.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Absolutely do NOT rent a car and drive into Paris. The RER is easy and reliable (excepting the occasional strike, of course.) The first weekday train from Marne-la-Vallee-Chessy is about 0500 and the last rain back leaves Nation at 0040h. Trains run pretty frequently. Can't comment on he best way to get from the condo to/from the RER station, which is about 3 miles away, sure there are others who can help with that.

An overnight in Paris is not a bad idea; there are plenty of hotels that would suit. Something close to a metro stop serving a line that connects to RER A would be good.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM

I assume she is getting the timeshare for free in a trade - right?

If so, the she can take the train into Paris any days she wants and still be money ahead. Renting a car would be madness. And, if it is a free trade -- then eating 2 nights and staying in Paris might be better than just one night.

However - if she is actually paying for the Marriott -- why?
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM

METRO = Sensible
Car = Stupid.