Paris 9th arrond. for 1st timer

Aug 29th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Paris 9th arrond. for 1st timer

This is my first time to Paris & I will be staying at the Le Grande Intercontinental. How is the location for walking the city & is the Metro easy to use from here? Also, any tips for getting a train to Chartres? Thank you in advance. RB
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:30 AM
ira

Do you have an address for the Hotel?

You can look it up on www.multimap.com and see where the Metro is.

You can also find directions for using the Metro at http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

ira, thanks for the urls. The hotel is 2 rue Scribe, very near the Opera. I have it up on multimap.
Aug 29th, 2003, 08:07 AM

You are near the Opera Garnier and surrounded by several metro stations/lines which can take you to all parts of the city. Each is just a few blocks away. Walk a few more blocks and you are at Place Concorde and the Tuileries gardens/Louvre etc. Good choice!
Aug 29th, 2003, 08:12 AM

[If this double posts I'm sorry, strange things have been happening when I try to post my reply!!]

Hi there
Rue Scribe is quite a decent location, - it's pretty much on the border of the 9th and 1st arrondissements. Nearest metro (Opéra) is a 2 minute walk, and there are also numerous taxi ranks in the area. Many buses also stop at Opéra, so you should find you can go anywhere in Paris fairly easily.

Rue Scribe is the precise drop-off point for the Roissybus, which runs every 15 minutes direct to and from CDG airport, and costs about 8 euros each way. Much cheaper than a taxi!

From rue Scribe, it's a two-minute walk to the main shopping district of Paris along Boulevard Haussman, where you'll find the two grand department stores, Galleries Lafayette and Printemps.

The Louvre is around 15 minutes walk down the avenue de l'Opéra, and place de la Concorde is also a short walk away, via the Boulevard des Capucins and place de la Madeleine (don't forget to stop off at Fauchon and Hédiard for gourmet food souvenirs, especially the wonderful teas on sale at Fauchon).
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Hi rainbro,

Chartres town and cathedral is great. Be sure to take one of Malcolm Miller's tours of the cathedral. Here are directions for getting to Chartres from Paris.

Trains for Chartres leave from Gard Montparnasse. To get the schedule and instructions from where you are staying in Paris go to the French train site sncf.com. In the upper left corner click on the flag for English. Then click on "Around Paris" and the "Timetables and Routes."

For departure point enter Paris and Chartres for arrival point. Enter the day and time you want to leave. On the next screen on the left side is a drop down where you can put in the area in Paris you're staying. This will give you detailed directions including how to get to the Gare Montparnasse via metro.

For example: Click on Louvre. The next screen will have itinerary detail on the right. Click on that and you will see that from the Louvre metro station you will get on Line 1 in the direction of Chateau de Vincennes and change at Chatelet. At the Chatelet metro station you take Line 4 in the direction of Porte d'Orleans to Montparnasse.

If you don't need the metro directions you can just query on Paris Montparnasse and Chartres for the train times only.

adrienne

Aug 29th, 2003, 09:42 AM
ira

Hi rainbro,

Glad to have helped. I think that you will also find http://www.voila.fr/PJ/ useful.

Search this Thread