Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris

Just wondering, what are some ways, strategies, or places you can eat cheaply in Paris in the summertime?

Also, what are some wonderful things you reccomend buying in Paris?
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Many bakeries have sandwiches ready made that are wonderful... a particularly memorable chicken salad on whole wheat that I ate in a park near the Sorbonne one afternoon.

Also crepe stands.
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Hello Hello - Paris, one of my favorite cities to visit !!!

A couple of ways to eat less expensively -

1) Almost every bar on every street sells sandwhiches that they'll heat up for you in their pannini warmer. Be sure to tell them the sandwhich is 'to go' - it's cheaper to eat outside of the bar (in a park, public bench, etc) then it is to eat in the bar.

2) You'll find many jambon vendors on the street, also with the pannini warmers. The sandwhiches get a little boring after a while, but one or two for your trip aren't bad.

3) Consider eating your 'large' meal of the day at lunch. Meals are generally cheaper. Save the sandwhich for dinner.

4) When eating in a restaurant, be sure to look for the very well labeled signs showing Prix Fixe (spelling?). These signs tell you that you can choose one entree of several entrees and one of several desserts, for a fixed price. They usually will have several price levels, with different options at each level.

4) When eating in a restaurant, look for the words (again, my spelling is bad) 'Servic Complet'. This means that the price includes the tip. Of course, if the service/food is good, you should always tip a little. Just don't feel obligated to give the American standard of 15-20%.

5) If you're near the Latin Quarter, be sure to stop into any of the Greek restaurants off of the Blvd St Michelle. They're very inexpensive, and fun.

Have a great trip.
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Try also very French picnics (little stores and stands will sell often pre-made picnic goodies and markets sell produce, etc. For a quick stop, visit a Monoprix store, very easy and convenient to purchase all of your picnicing foods.)and eating street food like crepes. If you blend eating this way along with visiting restuarants (the Latin Quarter has some excellent ethnic food), you're trip will be very pleasant food-wise.

For shopping, the last time I was in Paris this past summer, I found that many of the stalls outside of the Galleries Lafayette and other Blvd. Haussman department stores. Also, try shopping for very trendy clothes and accessories at stores like Etam and H&M, which were pretty low in cost and high in style!
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM

go to the open market in the latin qtr. There are huge spit with dozens of chickens roasting (w/ potatoes) then buy cheese, wine and bread..perfect lunch or dinner. Also crepes of all kinds can be found everywhere, as well as cheap street food like huge gyros and fries for 4e each.

also, check this out:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34791521
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM

We loved all of those sandwiches. They also sell pizza on the street. And many stalls, little shops had croque mensiurs (pardon spelling). We would grab a sandwich and either find a corner on the street to stand and enjoy or walk to a bridge or a bench or a park and enjoy with the rest of the people outside enjoying the day...it is really a fun way to be with the people and a sandwich was usually around 4E. But these sandwiches are awesome. Not like the ones back home, but really yummy, quality ingredients. Especially, of course, the bread.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Heavens, have you done a report yet? I see bits and pieces of your trip but would love to hear more about Normandy.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM

There are books ("Cheap Eats in Paris&quot.
Most (all?) restaurants post their menus outside, so you can see their prices and selection. I've skipped hotel breakfasts in general, prefering to either go to a cafe and have a petit dejeuner, or pick up a coffee and pain au chocolat from a patisserie. I, as many others here seem to do, just pickup
a ham/cheese sandwich from a street vendor, or maybe just go to a cafe and have a croque monsieur and coffee. I save my big (more expensive ) meal for dinner.
Soft drinks at a restaurant can be $, wine/water is what I order.

As others stated, some restaurants offer one or more, at different price levels, prix fixe meals (complete meal for a price) versus a la carte, where you create you own meal. Dining in Paris does not have to be expensice, you can, and will, find reasonably priced places to eat.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM

We tended to eat lots of sandwiches and fresh bread from boulangeries, ate at lots of cafes instead of restaurants, and threw in lots of chocolate crepes for good measure. We were able to eat fairly cheaply doing these things, but we aren't really foodies so it worked well for us.

Tracy