Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 02:21 PM
chaz

Paris

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel du Louvre recently? I understand it's been recently refurbished and is in a great location.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Fred

&lt;&lt; I understand it's been recently refurbished and is in a great location. &gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>True. Here are a bunch of comments from people who have stayed there: <BR>Hotel du Louvre (4 star right bank)- <BR>Wonderful hotel <BR>great location, super staff. <BR>one of the best hotels in paris <BR>pay the extra money and get the bigger room on the 4th and 5th floors <BR>go for the corner rooms <BR>older hotel recently redone <BR>very helpful staff speak English <BR>It was fantastic. <BR>fabulously well appointed rooms <BR>Superb, quaint, clean,comfortable rooms <BR>lovely European hotel <BR>Rooms are very nice and spotless <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:23 PM
SecondHand

Has Fred stayed at the Hotel duLouvre recently? What good is his information? Does he even know anything personally about this hotel? Rely on Fred? I don't think so. Fred is Mr. MISINFORMATION regarding France - and he charges for his services, too, which is despicable.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:27 PM
Rex

You know, I am not going to get in an ad hominem argument about whether Fred is a "good guy" or a "bad guy" - - but good grief - - if you DID think that people needed to be warned - - why would you do this under the cowardly stealth of anonymity? <BR> <BR>You think he's going to come get you or something? I think you have totally negated the value of anything you believe to be true about Fred. <BR> <BR>And I believe that he posted information that chaz is going to be able to put to good use. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Jerry

You say "and he charges for his services, too, which is despicable." Do you feel the same way about Rick Steeves, Fodors. Frommers, Lonely Planet, all the other guide books that you buy in a store? Just because he uses the internet to present his book, it's no different. And unlike the others, he communicates with you personally which we found tremendously helpful in answering specific questions. He did some research for us for which we had no idea where to begin.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:48 AM
no one likes a cheater

Jerry aka Fred, if you break the rules, expect the consequences; this is from the Fodor's rules quite easily found on this website: <BR>"Can I promote my business on your forums? <BR>No, absolutely not. Fodors.com is one of the few major sites where travelers can come for unbiased, independent information about travel. Since our travel writers can't be everywhere at once, it's important that travelers be able to use our forums to get fresh-from-the-field updates and advice from other travelers. Please respect the integrity of Fodors.com and our forums, and find another way to advertise your business." <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:34 AM
chaz

I just asked a simple question about whether or not anyone has stayed at the Hotel du Louvre recently. Didn't realize I would start Word War III.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:11 PM
John

I've only been to Paris once (leaving soon for number two) so I'm a reader here, not a contributor, but what terrible posts by that anonymous person. Why don't you contribute something intelligent and helpful instead of your diatribe against a guy who helps so many people? You don't like his web site? Don't go to it. Or maybe it's just the "j" word (jealousy). Do you object to Zagats taking comments about restaurants and publishing a guide the same way you object to Fred taking comments about hotels and printing them?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Gretchen

Fred is always a gentleman and is extremely helpful (for free) to all who ask questions. People are good enough to reply to his requests for info on various hotels and restaurants. Where else can you get info from say, 10 people who have actually stayed at the hotel. And they may have differing opinions. This is an old saw (don't worry, Chaz--you didn't do it!)

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Margie

First of all "here are a bunch of comments from people who have stayed there" are comments Fred copies from the AOL travel boards without the permission of those who've posted them. And, if the hotel has been recently refurbished, when? Before "comments from people" or after? Most of Fred's comments from others were collected before World Cup when many, many hotels upgraded, some even adding air conditioning. To me "the rooms are tiny" doesn't count when that individual has seen only one room in a hotel with lots of rooms in various sizes and configurations. Sure we all pay for tour guides written by Fodor's, Frommers, Rich Steves, etc. They do their own research, have editors and spell-checkers! They do not sell second-hand information. You cannot rely on Fred for any "fresh-from-the-field updates". Much of his information is inaccurate and out of date. And, he eats at Cote Seine for free by the way.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 08:48 AM
lori

Chaz, <BR>My daughter stayed at the Hotel du Louvre this past July. We have stayed at this hotel over 6 times in the last 4-5 years. It was as good as always she said, but since I'm going myself at the end of October, I'll report back first hand. I learned from another Fodorite, if you have an American Airlines AAdvantage Number, you can apply for a Concord Prestige card and get a free room upgrade. I'm gonna try this too! I did email direct for an earlier check in time, and was accomadated.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:28 AM
chaz

Thanks Lori for first hand info on this hotel. I'll be interested to learn if the hotel met your expectation after your October visit.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Fred

To: [email protected], no one likes a cheater (@any.time), [email protected] It?, and all your other phony names and adresses: <BR> <BR>Much as I really don’t like getting involved in this type of thing, my curiousity has gotten the better of me. While this will be my only post on the matter, there is something I must ask you. Is your life so devoid of anything meaningful, are you so full of anger, are you such a sad individual that you will spend your days and nights looking for my posts so that you can criticize them? Don’t you have better things to do with your time, like helping people with their questions and problems? Spending your time doing what you do is really a sad waste. P.S. – If a restaurant should choose to give me a free meal, why does that bother you so? If a restaurant gave you a free meal I wouldn’t care. If a hotel gave you a free room I wouldn’t care. If the French government gave you the Croix de Guerre I wouldn’t care. But you don’t need any of those things. What you need is to get a life.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Jen

Real name, real address. <BR> <BR>I can't help but respond. <BR> <BR>Chaz - I have not stayed there. It is in a great location. I choose to stay in the 6th arr. when I go there - I like the boutique-y, smaller hotel feel. <BR> <BR>Fred - as I understand, you sell information about Paris to travelers from your web site or e-mail. It is against Fodors policy to allow advertising here. Give all the friendly, free advice you want here, but your 'For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]' statement at the end of each listing is bordering on advertising for those of us who have surfed here long enough to know you. If you want to offer 'more Paris information', do it here. Don't con people into paying you money for advice most of us are willing to provide for free from our own personal experiences. <BR> <BR>Jen

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Diane

Jen, have you visited Fred's site? I have, and I've read a lot of information on hotels there for free, and I really don't see why you are raising such a ruckus. He's not enticing anyone to join a pyramid marketing scheme.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Jen

Diane, <BR> <BR>Not meaning to 'raise a ruckus', but I have heard from other users that he charges for info, and the last thing this site needs is 'travel agents' selling services. I enjoy surfing here to find out about different individuals' experiences. <BR> <BR>No, I have not visited his site. I have been fortunate to visit Paris enough to know where I like to stay, dine, etc. <BR> <BR>Jen

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:27 PM
rkf

Guess Fred isn't the gentleman everyone thought...

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:57 PM
xxxx

First of all Fred does NOT charge for his services. You can use them and IF you wish you can send him something. You are NOT required to do so. Next, I feel he is a great contributor to this site and I for one enjoy his stuff. So, those of you criticizing his site without even having gone there.......it's people like you that makes me feel sorry for us all.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:22 PM
sandy c

hi everyone, <BR> <BR>first suzanne, sorry your question got caught in the middle of this. hotel du louve was a wonderful hotel in 1998. my sister and i stayed a week there in november. we paid for the a 6 night special package that included air and hotel thru american airlines, which basically cut the cost of the hotel in half. if we had to pay the full or even partially discounted rates, we could not have afforded this hotel. it is a 4 star hotel and an expensive one. in 2000 i started noticing posts that the hotel was looking kind of worn, and the rates had increased. however in recent posts they seemed to have done some refurbishing this year. (not verifed by me). <BR> <BR>our experience with the hotel: the room and bathroom was bigger than the 2 3 star hotels i had stayed at previously. the service of the hotel was excellent. its a wonderful location, great metro connection right outside the door of the hotel. great area, near the louve, the gardens etc. very, very, central to everything. the breakfast was suppose to be only continental, but we ended up having full breakfast everyday, (apparently this was a mistake, at that time hotel du louve offered free buffet breakfast to all guests of the hotel) and it was wonderful! <BR> <BR>once again, if you can afford it, it is a great hotel. if i had to pay the full price, would i consider worth it. <BR>no, not at that price, i could do many things with the difference saved. <BR> <BR>now, as to the other thing that occured with this thread. this anon stalker of fred has bordered on ridiculous! it makes people uncomfortable. jen, anon, to me if you have a problem with fred posting take it up with him personally, please? it really creates a very uncomfortable atmosphere here. <BR> <BR>i and many do not agree with you. he answered suzanne's question. his website states that you can if you wish send $10 to help support the site. it doesn't require it, doesn't hold back info if you don't. <BR> <BR>i can't imagine, someone constantly dogging another poster, when that poster has been nothing but helpful to many people that post questions on this site. fred takes the time out of his busy day to answer MANY questions. does he benefit? i really don't care. he ANSWERS the questions. he has spent alot of time collecting valuable information for anyone that ever visits paris. but that is my opinion. i am not trying to change yours, just stating mine. <BR> <BR>please stop the personal vendetta. it just doesn't work. <BR> <BR>this is a great site. most people, like fred, are extremely helpful.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:24 PM
sandy c

ooops, the first part of my post was suppose to be for chaz, not suzanne... chaz, sorry for mix up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -