Paris- 1 day trip to London on Eurostar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am leaving for a week in Paris on 7/25 and wonder if anyone has taken the optional 1 day sidetrips offered to London on Eurostar). Is it too much for one day? What tour did you take? Some seem to leave you on your own much of the time and you have to get your own way back to Waterloo station in London.T hanks!
Gail
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:29 PM
ira

Hi Gail,

I would suggest not going to London for a day. Save it for another trip when you can do it right.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Was thinking that might be the case.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Just to add to the above, it is a 3 hour trip each way. You need about 1/2 to an hour to check-in(it's almost like an airport), so basically you need 8 hours out of the day. So even if you catch the earliest and the latest trains, you are talking about a VERY LONG DAY.
Did you consider an overnight trip?
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 02:52 AM

We did one day in London from Paris via Paris Vision Tours. Although I agree that you need more than a day to see everything, we still found it most enjoyable. We did this tour the day after arriving in Paris (hubby wanted me to spend my birthday in both London and Paris, hence the rush) We were also two hours delayed into London due to a bomb threat on our train, but still enjoyed the time we had there.

The tour company took care of everything and the trip included the Eurostar ride and unlimited passes for the hop on/hop off buses in London. We actually missed the last bus to Waterloo after touring, and the bus company was so great that they put us on their employee bus back.

So, everything worked out fine and although we plan to get back to London some day, we were glad we got to experience a lot of the city in the one day we had at that time.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 03:21 AM

If you do decide to go, you can book a Eurostar ticket yourself. Getting passes for the Hop-on-hop-off bus or the London public transport is also very easy.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Statia, What a brilliant idea! (spending your birthday in two fabulous cities, that is)
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Thanks, Suze. Yes, it was wonderful to have breakfast in Paris, lunch in London and dinner back in Paris. Especially when in London my husband asked me how it felt to be 30. I said, "Huh? Oh yeah! I forgot!" His response "Whew....mission accomplished." ha.

I do recommend only one day in any city that someone desires to see, if that's all they have to work with. At times, it may be your only chance for awhile. I'm certainly glad we did it.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:03 AM

We did tis thru Citirama years ago and really my husband just wanted to ride on the Eurostar and go thru the channel . Everything after that was simply gravy. Saw some sights in london had some great Indian Food and Bought some suilly British things for friend.
Drank Scothch on the proper continent and had tea. Cityrama had the same deal bus to station guide on train hop on off tickets etc. If you want to see London and enjoy train rides as my husband does do it .