Parga or Lefkas?

Search

Parga or Lefkas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parga or Lefkas?

Just wondering if anyone has been to either - or both - and can post their impressions.

I'm looking to spend a fortnight in one place and am interested in their relative merits.

Also any pointers as to viable excursions, day-trips ...

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give

teve
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM

i know it as lefkada, it's connected to the mainland by tunnel. i have been to both
on a drive up to the port for corfu.

since you have time why not do both, there not so far from each other
and each is different and worthwhile

lefkada has dramatic, gorgeous lapis
color water, there a really nice
town at the start of the peninsula
with wonderful architecture
with a very popular sailing harbor

near parga is preveza and sivota,
you could check those out as day trips

you can't go wrong
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:30 AM

So there is a tunnel nowadays, it wasn´t there a few years ago. I have been to both, and I would choose Parga. Easier to make little inland tours. OK, maybe with a tunnel it doesn´t make a difference.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jojo - That's what I was hoping

Steve
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Elina - I was leaning towards Parga. It looks very picturesque - my kinda place.

Thanks to both of you.

Steve
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:42 AM

I haven't been to Parga but Lefkada has some of the best beaches in Greece with waters the colour of a pool. (in the ionian side). If you go there, stay at Ag.Nikitas or Kathisma and enjoy the great beaches. (egrekmnoi beach is amazing and of course Porto Katsiki).
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM

We visited Parga on a package holiday in 2005 - this report was posted by me on another site:

"Had a lovely week in Parga and area. I was a little concerned when we arrived on the Sunday at the number of sunbeds and parked cars at Valtos beach. The minibus driver dented one car as he tried to pull in to let a car get past the other way (he wasn't on his mobile phone at the time, he finished that coversation whilst negotiating the hairpin bends between Parga and Valtos ) but we did manage to find a quieter spot towards the harbour end of the beach and it was not quite so busy during the week.

Nikitas apartments were fairly basic (though clean) Greek style, in a quiet area about 10 minutes walk from the centre of Valtos beach. The kitchen was rather pokey, though as we don't do any catering, apart from an (uncooked) breakfast, that didn't matter. There were 2 bedrooms but no inside eating area, though each bedroom had a balcony and there was also a seating area at the back, overlooking the garden. We hired a car for 4 days, so got to see a bit of the area.

Did a tour of Lefkas, lovely beaches on the west coast, particulaly Agios Nikitas. Vassiliki looked a nice small resort with a taverna lined harbour at one side of the bay and a long beach on the other side. Nidri looked much busier, the resort stretching along the main road, though we didn't stop to look round.

Went up to Ali Pasha's castle where were were accosted by a little old lady, not much over 4 foot tall, who insistantly sold us some herbs then gave us a tour of the castle in Greek - until the next victim - er - tourist arrived Headed up the coast as far as Sivota, calling at various little unspoiled bays along the way. Sivota again looked a nice resort. Not too big, with some nice looking tavernas round the harbour and a couple of beaches a short walk over the headland. There were various little islands and it looked a good place for boat trips, or even hiring a motor boat for the day to seek out some quieter beaches. Would definately consider it for a future visit. Ended up on a beautiful shingle beach with an island in the middle of the bay, on our way back.

Had a trip up into the mountains - followed the signs from Paramythia up to Ioannina - wonderful road leading on to a deserted 2 lane motorway - then when it deposited us onto miles of unfinished gravel road at the other end, we knew why Eventually found our way to the ruins of Dodoni and it's large ampitheatre, which we had almost to ourselves. Carried on up to the Oxia viewpoint over the Vikos Gorge - amazing!!! A stomach churning drop, thousands of feet down into the gorge below. Must return and walk it one day. Drove round a few of the mountain villages in the area with some old stone arched bridges over the river. Quite a long drive in our Hyundai Altos, which didn't like going up hills and whose brakes juddered alarmingly coming down them!

Walked up the Acheron river - despite other half's protest about his new sandals, the gorge was irresistable and we walked up as far as you could without swimming in the blue/green clear water which ranged from cold to icy where the springs flowed in. Orange butterflies danced over the water and it was enchanting. Drove to the ruins of the Necromanteion and went down to the entrance to Hades. Then on to Ammoudia, a lovely little resort where the river Acheron goes out to sea. Tavernas overlook the boats moored on the river and lovely long sandy beach, with very few sunbeds, was backed by eucalyptus trees.

Parga itself was lovely to wander round and the little water taxi was 1 euro, if you didn't want to walk over by the castle. Favourite restaurants - Flisvos, up by the castle overlooking Valtos beach. Had our favourite Greek starter of pie and beans (fresh cheese pies and gigantes) and specials of pork fillet in a metaxa and cream sauce and country pie, a bit like an Italian calzione with thin pizza bread filled with melt in the mouth lamb, feta, peppers, onions, etc. Also Barbra Nassis, right on Valtos beach towards the harbour where everything was cooked with loads of fresh herbs and we always got free dessert.

Would I go back - yes - if I went to Parga, would probably stay in Valtos again, as it's quieter and maybe go earlier or later in the season as it was starting to get rather busy for us. Also fancy trying Sivota or maybe Ammoudia if we could find accomodation there, or a fly drive staying in the mountains to walk the gorge.... "
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Never been to Parga though I do remember those glorious pix in the travel brochures of the 80s and 90s.

Lefkas is a great destination. Plenty of variety (and it you are into windsurfing then you are in for a treat). But the big drawcard for me was that it is so easy to island hop from there. Go check out Cephallonia.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the tips - and Maria, thankyou for posting your trip report. Very helpful info

Steve
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Ug, I can't let this go by even though this thread started in 2007 and it's now 2009. The island of Lefkas or Lefkada is connected to the mainland by a causeway. The tunnel that people are talking about goes under the Ambrakian Gulf to Preveza which is on the way from Patras or Lefkas to Parga. A map will clear this up.