Parador at The Alhambra

Search

Parador at The Alhambra

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parador at The Alhambra

In my itinerary, I'd originally planned to arrive in Cordoba by train in the morning, visit the Mezquita and then drive to Jaen - get up early the next morning to visit the Alhambra. I've been told it might be best to just continue to Granada (skip Jaen, or just stop for a short visit) and stay there before visiting the Alhambra the following day. (I have Palace reservations for 11:30) - we'd then drive to Ronda that afternoon.

Apparently, I can actually get rooms at the Alhambra Parador (!) - but it'd cost me 500 Euro (vs 300 Euro at Jaen)

Is it worth it? Should I look for another hotel in Granada? or... is it probably ok to stick with my original plan?

Just having a bit of trouble deciding... thanks for any help.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I stayed at the Parador and it was one of the most memorable stays of my life. The glory of staying at the Parador is that you are right inside the Alhambra itself and you can so easily take the night tour, which is extraordinary. When you get up in the morning you can be among the first to tour the gardens, before the crowds arrive and before it gets too hot.)

And from the terraces of the Parador, there are enchanting views of Grenada, the Sierras and the rest of the Alhambra itself.

The Alhambra in on top of a hill that makes it not all that easy to get to. (Many who walk up from Grenada are exhausted before they even begin touring the Alhambra). You save yourself a lot of time and have an incomprable stay in Spain by staying at the Parador, which is a converted monastery and is filled with original hand-crafted fixtures.

I would go to the Parador. It's one of the top destinations in the world in my book.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hotel America (http://www.hotelamericagranada.com/) is next door to the parador, cheaper, and perfectly comfortable. Save your money for dinner at the parador! And I agree with nessundorma about the night tour - just magical, and many fewer people than the day tour.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks everybody - I've sent some emails out - will check back in.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I was surprised at the high prices and looked at the web site, which lists the highest tariff for the Jaen parador as 135 plus tax. Where are you getting your rate info from?
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM

h0b0 may be reserving two rooms: The rate at the Granada Parador is 250 Euro year-round. And twice 135 Euro in Jaen is pretty close to 300 Euro.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes,Eloise is correct. We are told we must get two rooms. (there are 5 of us - kids ages 10, 10 and 12...sorry I must have fogotten to mention this!)

I have an email in to the Parador to see if we can just get a triple and put two of the kids on cots (or even just on blankets on the floor!)

thanks for any input.

Hotel America does have rooms available but it gets pretty mediocre reviews on Trip Advisor. Did you stay there thursdaysd? It may be the way to go anyway.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Also within the Alhambra precincts, I think, is the Hotel Guadalupe. And just outside is the Alhambra Palace Hotel, which is a bit stuffy (breakfast with maitre d's in tux) but has a lovely terrace overlooking Granada and onto the Guadarrama (sp?) mountains.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Two totally different things as it has been explainded here the Parador of Jaen is a very nice Parador with a commanding vista over hills and olive groves and next to the Castillo de Santa Catalina the oringal fortress that gives its name to the Parador. Very nice.Also has a pool with panoramic views. But the Parador in Granada is on top of the Alhambra hill, and once you are there it is magic. Of course the Hotel America , with its lonely star, is an option. IT has its charm, although the rooms are simple, as I recall no TV,clean and acceptable but nothing like the Parador. Ideally try to stay in the Alambra. I do not know about the Guadalupe HOtel but I doubt they have a location as good as the Parador or the America.( these two are next to each other)
If you can get rooms in the America, which is not easy, it is a way or not expending a lot and being there as well and as someone said have a nice dinner in the Parador, or a drink in its terrace-garden.
btw we stayed not long ago in the Parador of Jaen and there was a special , which might still last, for
75 eu per double rooms. + breakfast.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
h0b0 - yes, I stayed at the America for one night two years ago. I found it clean, quiet, quaint and ideally located. I had a small single over the front door with a good view. My notes say breakfast wasn't great & was charged for, but I don't eat breakfast at home. I didn't have problems with noise, smells or the staff (I took a look at tripadvisor). Of course, it isn't the parador, but I thought it was good value given the location.

I was going to say reserve your Alhambra tickets in advance and have the taxi stop at the ticket office on the way up the hill so you can pick them up, but I see you're driving yourself.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

We decided to cancel our reservations at Jaen and have a room booked at the Parador in Granada instead. We're going to try to get by in a triple room, so the expense works out the same as if we'd gotten two rooms in Jaen. Thanks for everybody's input!