Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alhambra from Granada or Malaga? Advice needed

Old Jul 9th, 2017, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I will have 3 nights in Seville, then we have another two nights, yet unbooked, before flying home to Australia from Malaga (evening flight).
I'm keen on seeing the Alhambra, but looking for the most time-efficient way to do it.
We are travelling by train between cities.
Should we leave Seville and travel to Granada, see the Alhambra, and stay overnight in Granada - giving us extra time to have a better look around the city, then travel to Malaga the next morning and have a good whole day and night there, before flying home the next evening? OR, should we travel directly from Seville to Malaga, have an afternoon and evening there, do a day tour to Granada on the second day, before flying out (from Malaga) the next day (evening).
I suppose my main concern is the inconvenience of having to carry heavy luggage around Granada if we arrive there from Seville in the morning, before hotel check-in time. however, I thinking that 4 hours of travelling time on a guided tour is a very big chunk of time on such a tight schedule.
Would be grateful for your opinion/advice.
Thanks,
Annette
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, topic heading should read 'The Alhambra from Seville or Malaga?
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Suggest you spend the night in Grenada and tour the Alhambra at night, then take a tour of the gardens in the morning before moving on. There are some hotels very conveniently situated close to the Alhambra entrances to make this possible. I'm sorry I don't have the names in my head (other than the parador, which is hard to book) but the info is easily found on the internet.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Just a heads up, Grenada is in the Caribbean, Granada is in Spain. The only reason I bring this up, years ago I read where someone booked the wrong Grenada/Granada and their trip, obviously, was a bit of a disaster.

We just returned from Spain and did a day coach tour from Malaga to the Alhambra and Granada. It was a long day but luckily we started early and the morning heat wasn't as intense. We found Malaga to be very nice and would like to spend more time there in the future.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Hotel America is also on the Alhambra grounds but not the price of the Parador. Often you can leave luggage at the hotel prior to check in...or pack lighter ;-)
I would recommend staying in Granada, but choice is up to you. There isn't evening hours at Alhambra every day, so massimop's suggestion may not apply. There is also conflicting dates or evening hours, and now it is much fewer than even last year. You want to check that on the official Alhambra website http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/ind...5d637b1e38d/0/
the good news is that since April, you can visit all day rather than the old system of morning or afternoon visit.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 07:37 AM

I did not visit Malaga so can only comment on geanada. I had 3 nights there and was glad I did. The Alhambra during the daytime was one of my 2 highlights of highlights on my trip and I gave it around 4-4 hours (a lot of time by my travel standards.) but count me in the minority of those who did not enjoy the nighttime visit. I did the nighttime visit the evening after my day visit and found it very crowded and poorly lit.

There is more to Granada than just the Alhambra, including the Capilla Real and the Albayzin (Moorish) district. Also the Mirador San Nicolas for that famous Alhambra view. If you aren't loved into Malaga, I'd consider more than just a daytrip to Granada. If you are, then I'd recommend making your reservation for very first thing in the morning and spending as much time there as you can.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:24 AM
kja

As with everything, it depends on what you want! I spent a whole day at the Alhambra, and would have loved more. I began my visit with the morning opening, stayed all day, and returned for a night visit. During the day, you can visit the entire Alhambra, but you will do so with MANY others, so be prepared for crowds. In the evening, you can visit the magnificent Nasrid Palace (only) with just a few other visitors. When I was there, everyone who was there spoke very, very quietly, and I found it absolutely magical! I didn't need to learn about what I was seeing -- I had done that during the day. But I got to see this incredible palace with very different lighting, and to smell the flowering shrubs, and hear the fountains, and … well, I'm sure you get it. Since I was there, the Alhambra also offers evening visits to the Generalife, and if I had the chance, I would snag one of those reservations, too (for a different evening)! Do be aware that advance reservations for the Alhambra are critical.

And there is much more to Granada than the Alhambra….
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:33 AM

Yes, there is more to Granada than Alhambra but it all secundary.
Seeing Alhambra during the day is the best ( night visit is ok if you have time.)
Depends how often you wish to change hotels .
Malaga is very nice Andalusian city by the sea...thing to see and time to relax.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your insights, which I will take on board when finalising accommodation. It has helped immensely.
Regards,
Annette