Reload this Page >

paradise revisited or a new adventure??`

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:05 PM
cindiloowho

Husband and I love to travel. I vote to go back to some favorites, like Portugal, as there is always much new to see and experience. He likes to never go the same place twice, and votes for new adventures. Since we travel at least three times a year, it takes some compromise. I don't like unpleasant surprises, especially in hotel rooms, or nasty dinner experiences. Thoughts anyone???

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you just have different sensibilities, but my main thought it since you travel three times a year, this doesn't seem so difficult a problem -- you should take turns.

Nasty surprises in hotel rooms and dinners seem a different subject than places you want to go. If you are saying he won't ever go back to the same hotel, even if you really like it -- well, there are worse flaws than that. I think you can get a pretty good idea that a hotel will fulfill your major criteria from online info. If I find a hotel I like in every way, I do prefer to go back because that's one less thing to worry about given limited time and money. I mainly like a quiet and comfortable hotel, though, I don't look for adventures in hotels.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Can't you combine the two? Each year we try to combine a one or more "old favorites" with somewhere new. We've been waiting to return to the Amalfi coast, and this year will do so but combine it with five nights on Ischia, where we haven't been. We love Tuscany, but other than a brief afternoon have never been to Montepulciano, so this year will stay there for a week.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Degas

Like Patrick, I usually go to one "old favorite" and one "new adventure" each trip. I think that's a fairly common
approach to this issue.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:50 AM
jmv

We also have the problem and have solved it with some old and some new approach. I guess I understand what happens to couples who both like to return to the same tried and true places--they're still spending all their time at the lake. But I would be interested to hear from anyone who has a spouse who agrees with them about only going to new places. Does this really happen? I just can't imagine not returning to some standouts regardless of how much I know is out there yet to see.