Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PANTELLERIA, or other islands off Sicilian coast??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent about a week on Salina last May and have booked for next September.

I am also looking for another island to link witih Salina on this trip. Pantelleria looks interesting and very off the beaten track. If anyone of you have spent time ther, please give me your thoughts, or share your thoughts about another island that I might like. Does not have to be convenient to Salina....could be visited on a different trip...

Last night I re-read my trip report about Ischia on this forum and I must say, it sparked an idea to re-visit the island that we so enjoyed quite a few years ago......anyone been recently?
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nothing relevant, but I happen to be rereading The Odyssey just now, and Pantelleria is sometimes thought to be the Homeric Ogygia, where Odysseus was held for seven years by the beautiful sea nymph (or goddess, the sources are unsure) Calypso, who offered him marriage and immortality. Content to share her bed, the Greek wept on the shore pining for Penelope and Ithaca (cue smallest lyre in history). Calypso let him go finally, and Odysseus returned to his wife and kingdom. If I were to visit Pantelleria, I'd search the shore for a comfortable cave with sandy floors in which Calypso may have sheltered Odysseus, and maybe have a picnic.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We loved a stay on Lipari, this was years ago. The town was small but busy, very happy with our simple accommodation. We only had a couple of days there, mostly walked about, exploring and taking photos and eating. From memory, the ferry timetable was a suggestion of what may happen

We loved Malta, it's about 30 mins flight from Catania. The architecture, history, people, all were great.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 07:36 AM

I stayed in Pantelleria for a week about 3 years ago. Really loved the island, it is unique. Very rocky, extremely narrow roads, don't have anything bigger than a Fiat 500. Absolutely loved staying in a dammusi, houses made out of volcanic rock with white domed roofs. There are some stunning ones to stay in. Giorgio Armani has a house on the island. I loved the Italian/North African feel of the island, it was extremely hot. Access to the sea for swimming isn't easy but there are places where you can get into the water without breaking a limb. Restaurants are more rustic than upscale, couple of nice ones but it isn't a posh island, having said that the food was great. If you stay in a dammusi (with a pool) which I think is a must, you can have meals delivered or buy in wonderful things from a deli.
There aren't any historic sights, did some scuba diving which was amazing as we saw some Roman amphora.If it is the right season, the local fruit is very good, esp figs, melons, lemons. Pantelleria is known for capers. I don't think I've had better fruit in the med than Pantelleria. Pretty decent wine produced locally too. Visitors tend to be mostly Italian, French

The film A Bigger Splash was filmed there, whilst not a great film, it does showcase the islands scenery.
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Balthy that is really getting my interest up! The only deterrent may be that many beaches are inacesslble. But if there are just a few pretty ones that we can access from the road, I think that would be fine.

I will have to look up A BIGGER SPLASH, as I'd not hear of it and now must watch it.

Kay..I wonder how long ago you visited Ischia. This past May, when we took the moat from Milazzo, it stopped first at Vulcano when a good amount of people disembarked...maybe 1/8 of the passengers. Next stop was Lipari, when there was a huge exodus off the boat. We looked at each other and wondered if we had heard wrong..that Lipari was the last stop..disembarking took a good 15 minutes. The dock area had many buildings.

Finally got to Sta Maria di Salina and by then only a fess stragglers, about 20 I'd guess, were left. We got off in less than 5 minutes and waited less than a couple of minutes before we were whisked away by the driver for the hotel, who we soon found out was the owner of the hotel.Lipari seems much more popular; for one thing, the island has many more beaches than does Salina.And far fewer hotels.

Anyway, still pondering how I could fuse Pantelleria with another place..even Palermo, crazy as that sounds, might make sense..begin in Palermo, travel to /Trapani andnn onto Paltelleria..return to Palrermo, spend a few nights before flying.ferry to Ischia.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 01:30 AM

There aren't any beaches in Pantelleria but you can access the sea to swim in. There are many access points all along the coast with steps down into the sea from various rocky shores. The only sandy beach is by a lake which you can swim in and people cover themselves in the mud.

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 02:12 AM

I'm guessing you mean Lipari, not Ischia? I had to look at old photos and was shocked, it was 2005 we were there! Ischia does look very appealing.

Pantelleria looks a bit of an awkward place to reach. It's not that far from Sardinia and Malta but not easily accessible. I'd research anywhere that is on the ferry route (no airport I guess?) or maybe stay on the island longer.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 02:15 AM

Lipari main town.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 02:27 AM

There are ferries from Trapani to Pantelleria & flights from Palermo & possibly from other places. It does tend to be seasonal. Pantelleria has an airport, we flew there from London via Rome.

Old Jul 25th, 2023, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
There are ferries from Trapani to Pantelleria & flights from Palermo & possibly from other places. It does tend to be seasonal. Pantelleria has an airport, we flew there from London via Rome.
Kay, right, I meant Lipari, not Ischia.

Balthy, I am enamored of this island now that I have seen your marvelous photos! Ferry from Trapani sounds great......I have to think about all this.....only issue is that water temps will be cold in May for swimming so I may have to push this to Pune 2024, and combine with Salina, which could be done....have to look into all this. We booked for second week September on Salina, I think 10 mights....

Can you recommend any hotels on Pantelleria?
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 01:48 PM

We stayed in a dammuso so cannot recommend any hotels from personal experience, although we did research a couple. Dammusi are available to rent from various websites such as AirBnB, there are some stunning ones with pools,

https://pantelleriadreamresort.it/en/home-english/ the location is really good as well, near the sea and several good restaurants nearby

https://www.sikeliapantelleria.com/en/index on the west coast near Scauri which is a lovely small town

Old Aug 17th, 2023, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There's an recipe in today's online Washington Post for "Pesto Pantesco" a dish from Pantelleria featuring tomatoes, capers, almonds and assorted herbs. Thought you might enjoy it. https://wapo.st/3YFJY1b. Link is gifted.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

FRaD..Thanks so very much..will investigate and try it!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 09:29 AM

Katie Parla (whom I learned about on this forum several years ago) has a customarily interesting essay on the Italian islands. https://katieparla.com/city-guides/italian-islands/ I haven’t yet purchased her new cookbook on the same theme, but I’m seriously considering it. The essay at least might give you some inspiration for trip planning. (And the film, A bigger splash, is wonderful, both for scenery and fashion as are so many of the films by the same director-with the exception of his road trip/cannibalism film last year.)
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studenttobe
Katie Parla (whom I learned about on this forum several years ago) has a customarily interesting essay on the Italian islands. https://katieparla.com/city-guides/italian-islands/ I haven’t yet purchased her new cookbook on the same theme, but I’m seriously considering it. The essay at least might give you some inspiration for trip planning. (And the film, A bigger splash, is wonderful, both for scenery and fashion as are so many of the films by the same director-with the exception of his road trip/cannibalism film last year.)

Thanks! I have the cookbook from the library..it is excellent and I may buy a copy.