Panic about money!

Search

Panic about money!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panic about money!

My husband and I will be traveling to London in 2 weeks. I had not really thought about money, other than the fact that I new that we would need it to sight see, eat and other various activites. I had just assumed that we would be able to use the cards that we typically use at home (that being our ATM/Debit cards, Discover Card and a Visa.) It wasnt until today that I realized that we may or may not (**I am thinking not) be able to use the Discover Card.

Should I just leave it at home? Is this just one more thing to loose? This is our card of preference at home. Or should I bring it along, just in case. I called and spoke with a customer service rep...but she couldn't really tell me much.

What do you all think? Should I get the pin number for my Visa....just in case?

Thanks
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:32 PM

Discover card is not accepetd anywhere outside of North America -- so leave it home.

A PIN number for your Visa would be a good idea just to use for a back up. Cash advances are not usually a good idea but can be useful - like if you lose your ATM or it gets de-magnetized.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:39 PM

make sure you tell your credit card atm companies you will be in europe or you may be declined all over
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Nope definately leave Discover at home. My husband and I usually go to a Thomas Cook in advance of our trip and get some local currency just in case.. (we like to have a bit handy upon landing) and it helps us to 1) Get excited about going on a trip and 2) Familiarize ourselves with the different look feel and values of other currency.

You should be able to get cash advances for your Visa/MC should you need it, if you don't have a pin you can go into nearly all local banks (they should have the STAR/PLUS sign out front). European PINS used to be limited to 4 digits,, I think, but now they are more standardized. Have a great trip.

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM

We found the best exchange rate by using our debit, rather than credit, card.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:08 AM

EBJBJR,

There is no single right answer. We all balance what we are comfortable with, what is easy and what is the best value.

I change about $100 to pounds before I leave. Wouldn't have to do this, but I am more comfortable with some local money in my pocket.

I tuck a few $100 bills back in my wallet in case nothing else works. Some people carry travelers checks instead, but I find them a hasstle and harder to use.

In the UK, use your credit card whenever you can to make purchases. Use your debt card to get cash, making as few transactions as you can.

As others have said, warn your bank. Get their emergency numbers from Europe at the same time (the 800 numbers will not work). Carry more than one Visa and debt card if you have them.

And don't panic if your card is declined. Use one of the others and try the card again in an hour or so. If it still doesn't work, call your bank.

Have a great time!

Keith
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:25 AM

For a very helpful and complete article on money matters, go to this page: www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Jed

I suggest that when you get to the airport, you find the ATM and get about $200 in local money, then immediately get small change for tips, etc. Make sure that the ATM is on the PLUS system, and that the cash comes from your checking account. If you use your Visa card for cash, you will pay high interest for the "loan." The pin number for the ATM is usualy the one you use in US.

Use your Visa card for purchases. I usually stick another credit card in a suitcase in case my wallet is lost, but that has never happened.

Also, make a note of all your card numbers and associated telephone numbers, and put it in another place. To guard against somebody using my numbers if the paper is found, I change one number in a regular way.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:28 AM

The only place I've ever seen Discover Card accepted was in the American Embassy in Paris, to get a new passport, so there are places in Europe that you could use it but otherwise no one takes it.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:38 AM

Hi,

Just got back from London about a 10 days ago.

1)Take your regular ATM or debit card with 4 digit pin. Get a pin for your Visa just in case and make sure it works before you leave the states.

2)ATM/debit card is the best way to make cash advances and purchases, but know that you will only have access from an atm to the PRIMARY ACCOUNT on the card so make sure it is the account you want. London atm's do not give international atm cardholders the opportunity to select an account if you had multiple on the card...ie, if you have a checking and saving on the card it will only access the saving account.

3)Everyone is right, for most visas (not check cards or debit cards) you pay an arm and a leg for cash advances, but it is smart to have it just for backup.

4)If your atm is a check/debit card with a visa logo, it will work just like a visa in europe for purchases.

If you have gotten pin's for everything, I second the recommendation that you take about $100 in cash for emergencies. Then when you arrive at the london airport, visit the 1st atm you find in the airport that is part of the plus system and get your advance.