Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pamplona - Join the Cruelty Free Feista!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On your mark … get set … go! The Running of the Nudes begins at 1 pm on July 5, 2007 in Pamplona, Spain! More than 1000 compassionate revellers dance, sing and party NUDE through the streets of Pamplona to show the spectators (and trust me, there are so many!) how much fun they can have by embracing the Running of the Nudes and doing away with the Running of the Bulls and the cruel bullfights that follow. The Running of the Nudes provides the fun and infectious fiesta atmosphere that people travel to Pamplona to experience, but without harming a hair on a bull’s back!

Dancing, live music, street performers, and an infectious, Mardi Gras-style atmosphere has made the Running of the Nudes the fiesta everyone wants to join. This July 5, hundreds of revellers wearing little more than a red scarf and plastic bullhorns or dressed in shorts and t-shirts will take to the streets to show the world that Pamplona doesn’t need to torture animals for tourism.

Most tourists who go to Pamplona for the “Running of the Bulls” have no idea of the cruelty they are supporting. Bulls are beaten in the kidneys and fed laxatives to weaken them. They are stampeded through the streets past screaming onlookers who punch, poke, and taunt them. Panicked bulls often lose their footing on the cobblestones and break their horns or legs when they crash into walls. In the bullfights that follow the run, the animals are repeatedly stabbed and tormented. Their spines are severed and their ears are cut off, all while they are still conscious.

Forget the gory Running of the Bulls – who wants to risk getting gored when they can get risqué with streakers in sneakers?

Find out more here www.runningofthenudes.com

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
lawchick

Go away.

I have no desire to see bulls or naked people.

The worst torture I had to go through was 10 mins in a german sauna looking at naked hairy men that I wasn't married to.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM

I totally agree about the cruelty to animals in bullfights! I attended a bullfight in Spain and it was so sickening, hubby and I got up and left. Unbelievable that this cruelty to animals is still tolerated today. If this run brings awareness to the plight of these poor animals, I say GOOD!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Glad you posted this. I don't think many foreigners realize how these animals are treated, I think it is disgusting.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Thank you so much for this post! My travel plans for this summer are in place. But I am very serious when I tell you I am going to save this thread and try to plan my summer 2008 travels around this awesome event.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM

1000 compassionate revelers? Hardly! They're lucky if 100 to 150 questionable types turn up on the 5th and the city grants them a parade permit, the same permit required of a circus. Note: Nudity is not allowed on the streets of Pamplona. The first time this group tried they nearly ended up in jail charged with public indecency. The people of Pamplona will tolerate their rather rude behavior only so long, usually about 40 minutes, and that’s it.

We have yet to see any display of “Dancing, live music, street performers, and an infectious, Mardi Gras-style atmosphere” as promoted by this group, at least not on the 5th of July. And the “Mardi Gras-style atmosphere” simply does not exist in Pamplona during the Fiesta de San Fermín.