Pal and other Swiss transport experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have really tried to sort this out myself, but do not feel confident. Would appreciate your help. We are staying in Switzerland for 5 days in September following a river cruise. Here are the transport logistics:

Saturday Zurich to Lucerne
Sunday Lucerne to Mt. Pilatus (want part to be on a boat)
Monday Lucerne to Wengen
Tuesday Wengen to Jungfraujoc
Wednes or if Jungfrau delayed, side trip to Bern
Wengen to Zurich

As we are a bit hesitant carrying luggage, lifting it, etc., I have read that 1st class accommodations might be better suited for us. Is this true?

It looks like a 4day travel pass would be $972 first class and $606 second class. I understand that the first day travel (Zurich to Lucerne) would be outside of these parameters. The trip back to Zurich is just to stay near the airport overnight, so could use most of the day Wednesday for sightseeing

Would appreciate your advise. Our first time to Switzerland and want to make the most of the time we have.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in Zurich right now but since you asked for Pal I'll be happy to defer to him...should be real interesting, too.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Hows the weather, Dukey?
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:13 PM

I have read that 1st class accommodations might be better suited for us. Is this true?>

Not for those trains - mountain trains have at best a tiny first-class section and your other train trips are short - most folks in Switzerland find 2nd class just fine - now if you were taking longer trips on regular inter-city trains maybe or taking lake boats or specialty trains like the Golden Pass which you are not.

I'd also check the Berner Oberland Pass, good on trains in both Lucerne and Interlaken/Jungfrau regions - covers more than a Swiss Pass perhaps - not saying for sure but do investigate.

For the Swiss Pass, if that is the best deal then consider a 3-day Swiss Flexipass plus with it a half-off Half-Fare Card which would give you 50% off on the expensive Jungfraujoch train and not the 25% Swiss Passes do - a huge difference. the flexipass gives you three days of 100% coverage of most trains and buses and boats but 50% off gondolas and trains to mountain tops. could be better than a 4-straight day pass and cover all your trains over 5 days.

And a straight up Half-Fare Card may be your best deal too - you have to compare all the fares - www.sbb.ch is one place for that.

for lots on Swiss trains and passes check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:16 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure how first class accommodation will be of help with luggage transport on trains - have you looked into luggage transfer?

https://www.raileurope.com/activitie...age/index.html

How much luggage will you have?

You might also consider putting the bulk of your river cruise luggage in left luggage at an airport/train station and using just a carry on for your train journey within Switzerland.

As for whether or not a pass is cost effective, you really need to crunch the numbers.

Take a look here - keep in mind passes only give you discounts on the Jungfrau journey, not free passage.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:38 PM

I'm in Zurich right now but since you asked for Pal I'll be happy to defer to him...should be real interesting, too.>

OP also asked for other Swiss transport experts and I'd say you are one of them, having traveled about in Swiss so long.

Now I'll ask for your opinion on what is best for the OP instead of just making an inane caustic remark that helps no one but perhaps yourself.

What would you recommend?
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Just the information I needed. Thanks, As always.

Dukey, come out from hiding...
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 02:54 PM

have you looked into luggage transfer?>

Swiss trains - inter-city trains - yes have a plan where for about 15 CHF (about $17) can send a bag ahead to your destination station.

It looks like a 4day travel pass would be $972 first class and $606 second class.>

Little high compared to prices in the U.S. - $263 p.p. right now I just saw on one of the sites are reference above for 2nd class (again for your plans first class is a waste of money- on any individual train if you want to ride in first you can pay the difference between normal first and second class prices - say you board a train that is SRO in 2nd class but 1st class has seats - just move there and pay the conductor on the train the difference IME unless things have changed.

I think it's way past Dukey's bedtime now in Zurich! Sleep tight!
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>I am in Zürich right now<

Are you and the boy toy staying at the Baur au Lac or the Dolder Grand? Or maybe the Storchen?

I can see the two of you at Sprüngli gossiping over your macarons and giving the society matrons dagger looks.

ROFL!

Somebody, Somebody who has actually slept in Wengen (moi), please tell the OP that there is no first-class train or gondola above Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.

Thin
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 07:54 AM

please tell the OP that there is no first-class train or gondola above Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald.>

Well the Jungfraujoch train, well above those towns does have first class.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 08:44 AM

.should be real interesting, too.>

Well did you find it interesting?

and what is your advice?
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Not sure how first class accommodation will be of help with luggage transport on trains - have you looked into luggage transfer?>

Well except on mountain trains inter-city trains in first class IME are often sparsely full - I always put bags on a seat next to me - 2nd class can always be quite full or full, especially at rush hours.

I think that Dukey may concur with this when he surfaces.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Melnq8 is right. Check into luggage storage or delivery, but on the Swiss rail site, not RailEurope. There are multiple options. Check each of these links. On the last one (the last 2 links appear the same, but lead to different comparisons), I believe you can check your luggage at Zurich train station (assuming you have a lot of cruise luggage and you don't need some of your luggage while in Switzerland) and have it delivered to the airport for your flight.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...t-luggage.html

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...omparison.html

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...omparison.html

If you plan to simply store some of your luggage for a few days in Zurich and retrieve it for your flight, make sure you find the maximum days allowed. Stations in Italy only allow a few days and I don't know the restrictions for Switzerland.

For Switzerland, I find it helpful to look at the coverage map on the Swiss site as it shows the coverage of various passes.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Swiss railways charge I think 15 CHF or about per bag so sending several can add up.

Send perhaps some bags from Zurich to Wengen - things you don't need in Lucerne.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 08:18 PM

Please provide a link that shows where one can purchase a first-class ticket on the Jungfraubahn.

I've been on that train, as has Keith, and there was no first-class compartment.

Is this something new?

Please explain.

You also wrote that the mountain trains have a tiny first class at best.

That is WRONG.

There is no first-class compartment on any train above Lauterbrunnen.

There is no first-class compartment on the train to
Schynige Platte.

There is no first-class compartment in the Mannlichen gondola.

There is no first-class to Harder Kulm.

There is no first-class on the Grutschalp, Stechelberg or Piz Gloria gondola.

Thin, not born yesterday
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 07:03 AM

You also wrote that the mountain trains have a tiny first class at best.>

I was talking in general and at best means if - and explicitly I was referring to Interlaken-Ost to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen - but I was WRONG to say the Jungfraubahn had them - looking at the site it gave first class fares but that was for the aggregate trip from Interlaken- just reflecting the first leg.

Thanks for correcting me - I never said all those other things had first class and indeed most are not even trains.

Thin not being born yesterday is an understatement.

Cheers - hope Dukey finds this interesting!
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 07:24 AM
twk

On the luggage bit, the only thing where first class helps is that, if you can't find anywhere else to put your luggage, you can sometimes use the extra room in first class to squeeze it in where you are sitting.

There is a tremendous variety in the carriages and luggage accommodation. Some trains have dedicated luggage space in the various compartments, some do not. In some trains, you can slide a carryon bag under your seat, in others you can't. Some trains have luggage racks above the seats that can handle carryon bags, others don't. It's really random. There were a couple of times where our trains lacked good luggage storage options and we ended up just keeping the bags in our little seating area, which was easier to do in first class than in second, but this wasn't a day-to-day problem that we encountered.

On the Saturday morning when we left Wengen, the train to Lauterbrunnen was packed, and the cars with the low level entry and handicapped seating became the de-facto baggage area for most of the passengers--it looked like a zoo. But, it was a short ride, and the train from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost was not as crowded.

The thing you hope to see when travelling with luggage is low entry carriages, where you don't have to lug your bags up steps, and good storage space. Some trains have them, some don't, but it's not a class breakdown as such.
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 06:42 PM

The reason I get upset about you giving incorrect information about train travel in Switzerland is that you can cause someone to pay more for tickets or passes than they have to.

Thin
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 05:46 AM

What other incorrect info have I given except for saying the Jungfraujoch train had first class - none to my knowledge - get ofdf your high horse - who was adamant that trains to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen do NOT split en route - you and that is much more serious bad information as they do and always have.

Again what else have I said that is inaccurate? talk about cherry picking.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 10:12 AM

The thing you hope to see when travelling with luggage is low entry carriages, where you don't have to lug your bags up steps, and good storage space. Some trains have them, some don't, but it's not a class breakdown as such.>

Yes indeedy - I always suggest a bag with wheels that you can indeed wheel up stairs one stair at a time. And yes no variance as to classes IME.

twk gives great advice and info above!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -