Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pairs in May - Best in and around Paris to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your top sites, restaurants, and activities for 8 days in Paris in May?
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM

If you search on "Paris" in these forums you will come up with so much info you could not do it all in a year, let alone 10 days.

I am returning to Paris in January. It will be my DH's first time in Paris. Here is what I am plannning on showing him:

Eiffel Tower, Arc d'Triomphe, Louvre, Sacre Coure, Invalides (Napolean's Tomb), St Chappelle, Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay, a boat ride on the Seine, a walk down the Champs-Élysées & place de la Concorde.

If I were going in May I would have more outdoor items on my "to see" list, especially Versailles.

DH & I are not "foodies" so we plan to eat inexpensively around our hotel in the Latin Quarter.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Here's a link to a recent thread that includes some interesting things to do in Paris, but also has links to other threads, such as the "Paris Superthread" and "100 great things to do in Paris".

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35085847

You should find more than enough things that suit your tastes and interests to fill up 8 days in Paris.

Have fun!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM

You should provide some personal input in order to get some nice recommendations... the way your request is worded sounds like you want the forum to do your trip plan for you.

I always want to know 'why' someone chooses to go to Paris. Aren't there some sights, museums or thoughts about Paris that led you to make that choice? If you can start off with that, it does kind of open up a discussion.

Otherwise, just go to the "Destinations" section of this website and get the itineraries and 'top sights' from that. There are restaurant reviews, too.

Know that May contains several public holidays where major museums will be closed.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Our tentative plans:
1.Day trip(s) to Versailles and nearby castles
2.Walking tours of Paris
3.Lots of Eating and Drinking
It's not our first visit, we've seen the Mona Lisa at the Louvre and altho we've seen Versailles, I'd like to return. We're splitting hotels - 4 days in the 13th and 4 days in the 16th (the hotels are free for us so that is why we've chosen them - Marriott points).
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Have you considered Vaux le Vicomte? It is about 30 minutes from Paris by train to the town of Senlis,then take the "chateau bus" to the chateau.

If this is not your first trip, you might want to take a look at the link I posted earlier. There are a lot of ideas there.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Vaux le Comte is not in the direction of Senlis. You take a train to Melun. From there a bus may be taken to Fountainbleau. There is a shuttle between Fountainbleau that runs only until early October. We were there in mid October and took a taxi to Vaux which was expensive but well worth it. One poster may be thinking of Chantilly which also would be a nice day trip from Paris.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Sorry, my mistake. Nini is right, Vaux le Vicomte is near Melun. Chantilly is near Senlis, which might also be of interest for you.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM

With 8 days in Paris, and assuming it is your first visit, I would not consider any day trips...maybe Versailles if you really really need to see a chateau (and the Louvre would qualify for that..)

Look at it this way, the day you land you will in all likelyhood take until past noon to get check in to your hotel, and will have jetlag. So that 1st day is not a full,optimal day. Similarly, your last day you will need to check-out and get to airport early. So in your planning, adjust your time available accordingly.

And yes, please search amd read here, as well as look at the Fodor's destination guide. There is loads of info on exactly your topic. Have a look, put together a sample itinerary...or post what your interests and budget is. That helps enormously to let people comment back. Vague questions makes it sound like...plan my trip for me, which I am sure you are not asking us
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:47 AM

St Chappelle
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:49 AM

While you're staying in the 13th, you can take a stroll through a charming section of Paris called the "Butte aux Cailles". Also, take a trip up the Tour Montparnasse to the 59th floor observation deck.
http://www.parissweethome.com/parisr...t_uk.php?id=59
www.tourmontparnasse56.com/

Since you've been to Paris before, I think it's fine to take one or two half-day trips outside. Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte, and Fontainebleau are all very worthwhile.
www.chateauversailles.fr/
www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/
www.musee-chateau-fontainebleau.fr/

This is a well-known walking tour company, 10€ per walk, just show up.
www.paris-walks.com/
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:51 AM

If you were trying to save a little time and have seen Versailles, I'd recommend going to Luxembourg Gardens instead. The palace and grounds should be great in May.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Ooops, you did post some ideas..

I stayed in the 16th last time I went (near metro Mirabeau). I like the area because it offered an immersion into a non-touristy neighbourhood, easy walk to my local cafe, to Seine for views of Eiffel. Your hotel is on Victor Hugo, I am guessing, so not near Seine. In the 16th I like the Marmottan museum for its Monets, There are also some nice stores along ave Mozart. I also had a good meal at Rotonde de la Muette on Muette.

For walking tours, I've used Paris Walks. Last time I did both of their Marais tours. Previously I have done the St Germain and Ile St Louis tours. All worth the money, 3/4 had great tour guide, one was a little dry but it did not matter.

I have a checklist that never ends of things to see. Last trip I went to Jaquemart-Andre museum, collection housed in home of the owner. Interesting, with a good audio tour. The restaurant is supposed to be good, but I did not have time to go. In the area I also visited the Chapelle Expiatoire, which is a chaple built over the burial grounds where the bodies of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were first thrown after they were guillotined (I'm into history). I found in interesting for a 1/2hr visit.

The Places des Vosges area is also a place to easily spend some time. Good places for lunch/dinner, then off to see Picasso Museum, Carnavalet (history of Paris), and Soubise (national archives) are all housed in old mansions and worth a visit.

I have not yet done a Segway, Fat Bike tour, nor taken the Catacombs or the Sewers (egouts) tours. On the list.

For Parks, the Tuileries, Luxembourg, Palais Royal, Vosges are classics and worth at least walking through. Last trip I added the Square du Vert Galant, which is on the western tip of Ile de la Cite. Very nice small park with old trees, rose garden, and very nice views of the Seine and Right Bank. A popular spot for marriage proposals, so I have read. Also near the Vedettes du Pont Neuf if you are looking for a nighttime Seine cruise.

I always plan on taking in Ile St Louis whenever I go to Paris. I find it to offer a nice selection of shops, seems a bit less hectic (traffic wise) than other areas of Paris, and has some nice places to eat, like Brasserie de L'Ile St Louis (lunch outside, table with views of Pantheon and good people watching), and some others on the main street (Caveau, Reine Blanche). Also enjoyable to go form there to Left Bank and then walk down below along Seine, coming up near St Michel to then take in the bouquinistes.

A walk along blvd St Germain from the Seine to Seine is pleasant. Stop is at Musee Moyen Age (aka Cluny) to see Medieval collections and roman baths. Perhaps lunch at Cafe Bonaparte near St Germain des Pres (I liked their croque monsieur) or even Cafe de Flore or Deux Magots. A detour to see Procope restaurant (oldest in Paris?) leads to walk aling cobblestone street to Buci Market, with its selections of produce, oysters,etc.. Many restos around here (Chez Clement, la Jacobine and Petit Zinc are a few that I have tried and would go to again)
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:47 AM

If you like Monet, May would be a great time to see his gardens at Giverny. Not in Paris, of course.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Michel_Paris has listed some very nice parks. My favorite is Parc Monceau and the streets nearby, especially in the direction of Boulevard Haussmann.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:13 AM

For dinner, I recommend
http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/
Gorgeous view of the eiffel tower but not nearly as touristy as other places - everyone around us was speaking french and barely looking at the tower's hourly sparkle like we were! Also a fair bit more reasonable than other top Paris restaurants

I also suggest a drink after dinner at the Ritz. Famous Paris hotel, the bar where the side car and the bloody mary were invented, traditional cigar bar. I loved the atmosphere of everyone being dressed up, like maybe a different era, but let me tell you it is very pricey. I am a huge vodka martini fan, and mine there was more than 18 euros.