paging "robespierre"

May 21st, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

paging "robespierre"

After reading many posts I have concluded that Robespierre might be the best person to offer me advice on getting around London, however, if anyone else wants to chime in - your more than welcome!

I'll be in London for three days the first weekend in June. Arriving at Gatwick and staying at the Copthorne Tara in Kensington. Will be with two other adults and want the best advice on traveling through London.

I can use Gatwick express to and from Victoria Station, right? Is it fine to purchase tickets at the terminal or should I purchase online prior to the trip?

Once we arrive at Victoria, we'll need to get to the hotel and then will just create a to-do list as we go along. My thoughts were to just purchase single tube fares once we decided where we wanted to go - and/or one of the tour-bus tickets that would hop on and off at places of interest. (This prior to reading several posts on traveling in London)

Thus, now I am assuming that after arriving at Victoria - is the best transportation option to purchase three oyster cards and take the tube everywhere? Is the Oyster card really more like a debit card for public transportation? and are there any negatives to purchasing it?

Welcoming all tips for most economical and convenient travels.
May 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM

TTT
May 21st, 2007, 05:13 AM

You have to check on the web...I have heard there are some specials like 2 for 1 on the Gatwick express...that has to be checked out. If there aren't any specials, then you might as well wait till you arrive to get your Gatwick Express tickets.

Now as far as the transportation in London, it isn't even close. You have to understand a single ticket on the London Underground now is an astounding £4 while a single using the Oyster card is £1.50 and I presume you have read about the capping.

When you arrive at Victoria, buy oyster cards for all the adults, there will be a £3 deposit...three days cap at £4.60 each for zones 1 & 2...you might venture outside on one trip so perhaps £17 of prepaid on the card for a total of £20 with the deposit and you'll be all set.

If you use less, indeed if for example one day you just use buses, you don't have to worry about it. The great tfl computer in the sky will figure everything out for you.

Upon your departure day, stop by the tube booking office at Victoria and they will refund the £3 deposit and whatever is left or better yet just save the cards for a future trip to London (or to give to your friends or whatever).

It is pretty much a no brainer now.
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM

If you think you'll spend more than £20 while you're there, just get a 7-day Travelcard loaded on an Oyster (the deposit is waived). We usually load £15 on our Oysters and ride mostly buses for £3 a day.

SouthernRailway.com operates between Gatwick and London for considerably less than the Express.

Jul 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I think she has probably gone to London and returned by now...
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I am aware that the OP was going to London in June.

I was adding my advice for the benefit of anyone else who might see this thread!

(You little busybody.)