Padova Markets

Jun 9th, 2003, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Padova Markets

My partner is extremely keen to go to the Padova markets, as they have the reputation as being one of the best in Italy. Has anyone been there and if so is it worth driving there for a morning on our way to Tuscany or catch the train from Venice where we are staying for two days?

Thanks

Lesa
Jun 9th, 2003, 04:09 AM
ira

Hi Lesa,

Padua is a nice place to visit in addition to the market.(Lots of Palladian buildings) Can you fit in a day for it on your way to Tuscany?

Jun 9th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Lesa,

Padova is indeed a special place and the market on the Piazza delle Erbe and Piazza dell Frutta is fabulous (not sure if it's on every day though - I would check with the tourist office). Do go up to the first floor balcony of the Palazzo della Ragione to survey the scene from above - it's like going back 200 years at least!

I'm not very keen on the palladian villas around Padova to be honest (reminds me of Florida ), but if you take the old main road along the Brenta canal instead of the ugly autostrada, you'll pass one of the largest and most famous ones anyway (don't remember the name right now).

By all means go see the world famous Giotto frescoes at the Scrovegni chapel (were unfortunately being restored when I was there ) - AFAIK you must book admission in advance.

Also eminently worthwhile is the chapel next to the Duomo - again, amazing frescoes, as well as the Basilica del Santo with a fabulous equestrian statue (by Donatello?) right outside.

Does it show I liked the place?

I would definitely keep both days in Venice and see Padova on my way to Tuscany, with perhaps an overnight on the way in Parma, Bologna or Ferrara (haven't been yet, but these places are high up on my to do list) - Parma and Bologna are both famous for their food so probably have great markets as well.

Site of the Padova tourist office:
http://www.apt.padova.it/

Hope this helps,
Andre
Jun 9th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your info, it is a great help. Can you give me any tips for parking in Padova for the day, is there anywhere close to the city that isn't too expensive?
Oct 8th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Hi Lesa,

You can park in Padova for the day: the most convenient location is the lot in Piazza Insurrezione, just a few blocks from the main piazze. I have been living in Padova for about 10 years, and love the city! The fruit and vegetable markets are in Piazza delle Erbe and Piazze della Frutta, and these take place every day but Sunday, from early morning until about 1pm (a little longer on Sat.).
If you would like some recommendations on where to have a nice lunch or glass of wine, you can write to me at [email protected]
Buon viaggio!
Rachel

Search this Thread