Paddington platform #

Feb 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Paddington platform #

Will be arriving Heathrow at 1:00pm/13:00. Last year on the same flight I was able to clear immigration and customs in less than45 minutes from the time of touch down allowing me to bus to Woking for the 2:30 train. This year I am hoping to make the 1:51/13:51 train to Moreton in Marsh after the HEX ride. Knowing the platform # may save me a minute or two. Worse case is waiting around for the 3:51/15:51 train.
Feb 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM

You'd have to ask Paddington station, surely? But the platforms are all on the same level.

Stay at the front of the Heathrow Express; as you leave the train and walk towards the main concourse you should see the platform indicators hanging across the concourse ahead of you and to your right. Chances are you'll need to go in that direction for the right platform anyway.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM

<<< This year I am hoping to make the 1:51/13:51 train to Moreton in Marsh after the HEX ride. >>>

Given your previous experience how do you expect to get from the arrivals area of LHR (whichever terminal it is) onto a train at Paddington in 6 minutes epsecially as the trip between LHR & Paddington is 15 minutes?

And note that come a few weeks time the HEX will only serve T123 & T5 so arriving at T4 menas a change of train - and in any case the HEX only runs 4 times an hour
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

To clarify regarding the time. Last year the United flight from San Francisco arrived 30 minutes early as it did the year before. So, hoping for a similar, but unlikely third time, with the best of luck I was hoping to make the early train allowing me to arrive at Moreton in Marsh before dark and not having to kill time at Paddington station. Wishful thinking I know, but you never can tell. Last year I got to Woking at 2:00 on the 1:00 United flight.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:30 AM

So basically you are assuming your plane will arrive early and give you 30 extra minutes

So even if that happens you will have 21 minutes spare to get from the arrivals area to the HEX platform, get on a train - which means an average of 7m30s wait and then find the correct platform at Paddington and get on the train.

It ain't going to happen unless you are lucky enough to be getting a train that leaves immediately from Heathrow

Go and have some lunch instead somewhere around Paddington - or get the bus to Reading instead
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

You most likely are right, so which would you do. Hang around Paddington for a couple of hours or take the 14:21 to Oxford and hang out at the Oxford station? I do know the Paddington area and a near by pub where I could have a Stella, but haven't been to Oxford in twenty years.
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM

The 1551 is due into Moreton at 1724 - when it's still light in Moreton even today (check the time this message is posted. Sun's still cracking the flags)

Platforms are announced 10 minutes before departure, if you're lucky and the train's on time: Worst Late Western operate this line at just about the worst punctuality level of any mainline service in Britain. It's not unheard of, if the train's running 5-10 mins late, for platforms to be announced AFTER the scheduled departure time.

The only thing that can be known (even to WLW staff) beforehand is that the train will leave from platforms 1,2,3,4,5,8,9 or 10. THe selection is entirely random, and changes daily.

From the T1-3 bus station (exactly the same distance from T3 as the HEX)you've got till 1325 to catch a bus that'll meet the 1351 from Paddington at Reading. Your chances of making this have to be higher than catching the 1318 HEX that'll meet the 1351 at Paddington.

All westbound Cotswold Line trains use Platform 4 (straight in front of you as you come off the Railair bus) at Reading.