Packing Question

Search

Packing Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing Question

Does anyone have a good idea on how to pack all of the many electronic cords that must be taken on a trip.

I have cords for: cell phone, camera, kindle, walkman plus adaptors, etc. My current plan is to put each in its own toilet paper role and put them all in 1 plastic bag. Any other ideas?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 06:44 AM

I just put all of mine in baggies inside a larger zipper bag. I think that toilet paper rolls would take up a lot of space....
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Walkman, wow, a touch of nostalgia.

I try to share the accessories as much as possible.

Do any of them share the same charger? The kindle uses a high power USB connection, so a cell phone charger, even it uses the same USB plug, cannot charge kindle. I have seen a charger at Radioshack with two USB connections, one a high power one for kindle.

For my laptop, I got a 1 ft power cord from Amazon (it actually came from Cyberguys) to replace my 6 ft cord.

What kind of cord is needed for your camera?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM

How about this?

http://www.builtny.com/gadgets-all/c...organizer.html

~Liz
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Elberko, that looks like a great product; it would make a super little gift for a traveler.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM

I put mine in shoes,zip lock baggies or the dead space in luggage like the corners.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM

Individual cords and accessories stored in zip lock bags can be packed in shoes and other recesses that are available in your bags. Also, make use of socks, underwear, etc., to roll up around the cords, in place of paper rolls which will simply get crushed and, as someone noted, take up more space than necessary.

If you need access to these items in transit you simply must stuff them in your carry on, but be careful taking them out when you do. I lost a power cord probably left behind in an airport, when I pulled something completely unrelated out of my bag. It was either my carelessness or it magically disappeared! Family members reprimand me for my carelessness, I'm clinging to magical disappearance . . . .

And, If space permits, place the individual bags in a larger zip lock bag to make access more efficient. At a minimum, take a larger zip lock bag (I always pack extras) to store the items together once you arrive at your destination.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Love the cargo holder elberko posted!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Ah the woes of the electronic age!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a small makeup bag (7" x 3") for about $7-8 at Target. My GPS and MP3 player go in the small outside zip compartment and all my cords and chargers go in the larger zip compartment.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM

I keep my wires and black bricks in individual ZipLoc bags, sandwich size. Since they all look so similar I make a label for each baggie and tape it inside the bag so it can be read from the outside. I also make labels with my name, phone number, and email address and tape one of those inside each bag. Then I put all the baggies in a gallon size ZipLoc.

I think that the Cargo thing is way over priced.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM

I did almost the same thing as joannnyc. I purchased a zip top neoprene bag with 2 sections and stored my extra battery and charger cords in there and put them in my hand luggage. I really minimized the electronics I brought on the trip. I brought a camera and iPod. My husband just brought an ipod. It would have been nice to have my kindle but I have to say it truly was both relaxing and refreshing to leave laptop, and phones behind and truly be on vacation.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I do everything possible to avoid packing lengths of cord. I have little retractable USB cords with exchangeable tips that I pick up whenever I see them at TJ MAXX or Marshalls (usually cost under $10 there). Our last few home cell phones actually have power plugs with USB ports, so this routine has become easier and easier. Kindles, as you know, have plugs with USB ports.

I make little packets for our Kindle- and cell-enabled family in ziplock bags with clear labels. Everyone gets TWO plug adaptors for the country's outlets in question, TWO retractable USB cords, ONE teeny-tiny GSM phone, and appropriate tips for his/her GSM cell, at-home CDMA cell, camera, and Kindle (my cell and my Kindle take the same tip). If we are renting a car, I just bring a USB cigarette lighter charger, too.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses - small ziplocs inside a big one was my second option.