Crepes in France, what in Italy?

Aug 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Crepes in France, what in Italy?

We love to walk up to the street stands in Paris or French towns and buy a yummy hot crepe. Is there a street stand food which everyone thinks of in Italy? I'm not looking for pizza or gelato here so please don't blast me for asking, of course we'll be on the lookout for those in the shops, more something we should look for which is quickly made up at a random street stand - if that exists.

Let the eating begin!
Aug 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Some places you can walk up and get porchetta, a roasted pork with herbs, on a sandwich!
Aug 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM

You see lots of varieties of arancini or croquette at lots of walk-up places.
Aug 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Foccaccia or as avalon says "panini" (sandwiches). First time I was in Rome it was winter, so roasted chestnuts in the street didn't surprise me, but apparently now it's all-year around.

BC
Aug 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM

In Umbria you find torta al testo everywhere. It's a flat bread stuffed with prosciutto or sausages. You can see it here
http://madonnadelpiatto.com/2009/02/26/torta-al-testo/
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:11 AM

As always, "Italy" is a delusion. From one region to another, from one town to another, literally everything is different; and so is street food, which, too, depends on the region - there is no variety of street food that you can find all over Italy. Tramezzini are very widespread in northern Italy. In Florence, the trippai are an institution - stalls that sell sandwiches stuffed with salad and boiled cow's stomach (two kinds of it, the classical trippa and the Florence-only lampredotto, i.e. two different parts of the stomach), doused with the stock in which the meat has been boiled.
Aug 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM

<>

As is France. Crepes are about the last thing I think of when I consider French food. They're a staple in Brittany, which is about the most un-French of the provinces. They're easy to make and portable, so they have crept into the marketplaces and streets of many areas of France, but they are historically not at all typical of "French" food.
Aug 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM

The only thing I remember buying from a true street vendor was on our first visit years ago. He was selling lupini and fashioned a perfect cone from paper, poured the lupini in and handed it to us.
Aug 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

We think of crepes when we think of French street food - hot with Nutella, ham and cheese, or jam folded up and wrapped in paper - my kids and I love them and they are the perfect lunch or snack! We rarely (maybe once) see outdoor crepe stands like that in the USA and have seen them often in Paris and other French towns so they do say France to us. We also love the creperies! I'm getting hungry thinking about them

Of course, when I think of French food in general, I agree crepes are not the first thing that come to my mind.

The Italian street foods listed above sound really good too and it will be good to try something new. I'll be on the lookout for them. Do you see these in small towns as well as the bigger cities?
Aug 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM

When it comes to France you have to distinguish between crepes and galettes.

As far as Italy is concerned I agree with Franco - everything is regional or even more local. I will try everything but I must admit that I have not eaten Lampredotto no matter how often I have been tempted by the stalls behind the Mercato della Paglia in Florence. I have certainly not eaten poppa fritta but I have eaten creste fritte and, of course, cervella fritta.

Italy is still special because there is still this difference in dishes whether they be served in fancy restaurants, trattorias or road side vendors. Viva la differenza!
Aug 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of lampredotto cause of its texture (too glibbery for me), but I think it's really worth trying in Florence, since it's unlikely that you'll get it anywhere else. (And btw, nochblad, you absolutely have to try poppa - you have to be discerning about the quality, since it's only good if lean, but in this case, it's as excellent and tender as any white meat you can get.)
Aug 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM

I tried the lampredotto in Florence many years ago and actually spit it out onto the sidewalk in a purely instinctual moment. It horrified a few passersby, but I simply could not have that in my mouth!