Search

Packing Light for Europe: please forgive me for one more question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing Light for Europe: please forgive me for one more question

And, of course, there will probably be another after this. Here we go:

DH thinks it is "ok" to check our bags because we are flying direct from PHL > VCE. No connections. I think he is nuts.

We never check on the way to Europe, and we have never checked anything going through PHL, even on the occasion when we went direct PHL > CDG.

What would you do?
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM

We always check bags on direct non-stop flights and have never had a problem. So long as you check in well ahead of boarding time, you should be fine.

Even so, I take a tote on the plane with items I could not/would not want to have to live without for a day or two.

If I were you, I'd let my husband check what he wants and carry on what I want.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM

It's uncommon to lose a bag with a non-stop flight like that. But when I decide check vs carryon, I also consider the consequence. If you're staying in Venice for a couple of days, then even if your bags didn't make it, chances are it will within the next 24 hours.

But if you're going on a cruise that departs Venice same day, and if your bag is late your whole $20K cruise will be ruined, then please carryon.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM

If you're packing light enough to carry on, then carry on. You already know this will save you time after you arrive. And even if there is only a very slim chance that your luggage will be lost, why risk it when you don't have to?
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I must be extremely luck in life because I have always checked luggage, on every trip, and have never had one single problem except once when one suitcase was headed from PHX to Denver instead of PHX to Vancouver (it arrived 6 hours later).

I have flown Van-Frankfurt-Florence, and Van-Amsterdam-Bologna (and back) and there was never any issues (well, except that my suitcase weighed a ton!!).

If you are on a non-stop, or direct flight, and do not have to change planes...you can check your luggage...thousands of others have and gotten their bags successfully.

However, I WOULD pack prescriptions, extra set of clothes in a carry on - but I do that regardless...no matter where I am going, or how many connections there are.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I have always checked my baggage, two delays in arriving out of maybe 100, well worth the aggravation I would have had slepping a suitcase on board. As many of you wait for non-smoking bans in Europe, I wait for the day they ban all carryon luggage.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmmm. I guess we will discuss this again.

I don't like Philadelphia airport and don't trust the luggage system there.

However, I've been sick and not dragging the bag could be nice. Then again, I'll have to drag it in Venice, as we have an apartment and have to walk at least from the vaporetto stop.

I am packing a separate bag for our post-Venice stay in NYC. No sense in dragging that stuff all the way to Italy.

I can also do the half and half thing, in case one bag is not on time.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM

tuscanlifeedit,

It is not clear whether you are originating in PHL or transferring there on your way to Italy.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I always check my bag now that you can't brg certain things on board but always have had a carry on wnen checking a bag so that I have change of clothes in case my checked luggage goes astray or if I need to change on the road.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I SO loathe that PHL airport! I wouldn't check my bags if you're carrying stuff they'll let you carry on.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Ah, Tuscanlifeedit...

So much of me wants to say, "Direct? No problem." But then you put in the variable "PHL" and I can understand your quandary. Although the airport's system has gotten better, that's where our last lost luggage problem occurred. And the one before it.

So I'm with rkkwan--if you're sticking around Venice, it'll get there in 48 hours (or at least you'll have an idea of what country it's visting!). If you're landing and moving on, then your decision is pretty much made for you. I'd lug the luggage.

And as TimS so wisely said, by doing so, you're saving time as soon as you land anyway. You'll be moving toward Venice while the rest of the jet-lagged throng is staring at a non-moving carousel in baggage.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I absolutely hate the idea of checking at PHL. As I said, I think DH is nuts to even suggest it. I appreciate all the feedback.

Hopscotch: I was unclear. Sorry. We are driving to Philadelphia, where our direct flight originates to Venice. Then we are leaving the car while we are in Venice, picking it up in Philadelphia and driving to New York for a few days before we finally go home.

I can leave my NYC things locked in the car. All my liquids and toiletries are already in miniature containers that will fit in my one quart ziplock bags. One for DH and one for me.

I was worried about wet shoes, because there may be some aqua alta while we are in Venice, and that discussion with DH prompted him to make the crazy suggestion that we hand our luggage over to the Philadelphia International Airport baggage system.

I hope this was a little more clear than my earlier post. I am now at that hysterical point in getting ready to go where nothing at all seems to be done, and everything seems to need doing, and it's almost time to leave. As usual, I can not stop my obsessive last minute planning and as usual, business and work are making crazy last minute complications. If I ever in my travel life saunter out of here, relaxed and ready to go, it will be a miracle.

Before Paris last winter, my hip decided to rebel, my dog had explosive diarrhea and a water main blew as we were washing our clothes to pack. I had an MRI, two ortho trips, one pain clinic trip, one urology trip, one GP trip, two veterinarian visits, and no water in the week before our departure. Oh, and a little blizzard, too. Canceled flights. Amazingly, we got to Paris about 3 hours late. I had pain meds. The dog got better and went Camp, and my nerves were shot. I cried in PHL.

Of course, everyone should cry at PHL.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 02:58 AM

tuscanlifeedit,

Your Paris preliminaries read like the script of a Chevy Chase movie. Hope things line out for you and that your hub gets with your luggage program.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:17 AM
k_d_f_l

My daughter and I never check our bags when we fly to Europe.

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:49 AM

I told dh (dope husband) he only gets one carry on...
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:08 AM

I understand the issue about bad airports, and nonstop flights are no guarantee of bags not getting lost (although it certainly helps). I've had bags misdirected that way, it's not that difficult -- they just send it the wrong way at the very beginning (or don't load it) or they send it the wrong way upon unloading -- like in the area to be transferred somewhere else. That happened to me. However, I do think the chance is not that great upon arrival.

I always check because I can't travel for several weeks with only carryon. If you can and are happy with that, do it. Your husband doesn't want to and isn't worried, so he can check.

Why is this a problem? You are two independent people, you can each make up your own minds and do what you want. If you insist he carryon just because you want to, I do think you are out-of-line on that one. I hope this isn't just a big issue you are raising with him because you refuse to wait at the airport upon arrival for the bags to unload, if he wants to check. It's only a few minutes and after a flight, I don't mind just de-compressing while doing that, anyway, and getting used to actually walking again. If he loses his bag and has to suffer the consequences, it shouldn't affect you if you carry-on and then you can be smug.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I ALWAYS pack all of my favorite things in a carryon. I throw extra stuff in a bag in the back of the plane. I am never without my clothes!

I vote to take a small carry on and check a larger bag in the back.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I just flew through PHL from West Palm Beach and they lost my bags.

I would probably do it on a direct flight, but I hate that airport so much that I told my DH that if I EVER schedule a flight with a connect through there he has my permission to kill me.

Have a great time. Are you driving from here to PHL for the flight? Just curious.

Sherry
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM

OK, if your husband decides to check his stuff you will have to wait to collect it anyway so there's less of an advantage to you to carry on.

I'd suggest that if you're happiest with carry on then get you husband to drag YOUR bag for you. You've been sick and need the break (you'll get to drag it in Venice anyway!) and then you have to wait for his at the carousel.
Or check both and hope for the best with contingency plans (spare clothes in carry on) as others have suggested.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:19 AM

I have never done only carry on until my upcoming rip on the 14th. With all the mess and hearing friends not receiving their luggage for over a week that clinched it.
What you need to know is that some of these bags you think are carry on size, are really not!! A friend going with me with leaving AVL to CLT to PHL and CDG. I told her for sure she would not get her luggage..only carry on. She thought she was using a carry on till she saw mine! I gave her an extra Travelpro that I had..22x14x9 with extra on both sides. She them had no problem!
I have 5 pants, 2 3 pc outfits, 6 l/s mock necks, 1 t/neck, cashmere cardigan, 2 heavy knit cardigans, quilted revers. jkt, 2 other tops, pj's, underwear camera, cells, converters etc. and more. Carry coat. Have a laptop type carry on..must put purse in it as a purse counts towards you 2 allowed carry ons..I have more than enough for 10 days..will do the same for my 2 weeks in April.

It is a mess out there right now and I'm not getting involved with it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -