Reload this Page >

Packing for the October weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 02:08 PM
ja

Hi, <BR> Posted this on another site but got no responses. We're going to be in Alvor, in the Algarve for two weeks at the beginning of October. Our previous travels at this time of year have been to tropical destinations in Latin America & Mexico. We have a hotel booked with half-board, so we won't need to go out to eat a lot. Should we expect to wear shorts or slacks during the day? Sweaters at night? sandals, or willour toes get cold? (we live in north-central Alberta- temps in early October from 7-17 Celcius during the day and near freezing at night, on the average, so we don't perceive "cold" the way someone from a milder area does). Any advice/tips /hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance. <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:28 PM
ja

Hello - me again- <BR> I'm really desperate for some help here, as I'm a chronic overpacker with a bad back and a boyfriend with tennis elbow (claims it resulted from hoisting one of my suitcases- may be true!). I've picked up a lot of tips from this site and others, but input from anyone who has traveled there in Oct. would be gold! Thanks again.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Topper

Top it, baby!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:17 AM
xyz

Its always a tricky one when travelling in Europe. <BR> <BR>Take a mixture of things - if it was me I would take sweaters and also shorts.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Jean

Should be warm in early October. Check out www.weather.com, and you should be able to pull up the history of weather for each month. I was there in late April, and it was quite warm, although in the evening, we needed a sweater or jacket, due to the Ocean Breeze. <BR> <BR>I have friends who were there in late October & early November, and he swam in the ocean. Said it was quite warm. (and by warm, I mean shorts-wearing weather.) <BR> <BR>Enjoy youself--my 11 days in Portugal were some of the best of my life. I'd like to buy a home there. Great Place!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:30 AM
John G

Darling, I was in Portugal last September and Lisbon was HOT! It was in the 90's every day. I did go up to Fatima and Nazare and it was much cooler--you need a sweater. From what my friends in Lisbon tell me, the weather there doesn't turn bad until November. Another thing, the Portugese are very conservative and don't like people parading around in skimpy clothes unless they are at the beach or in a disco. People will be more receiving of you and more curtious if you look nice. Love ya, John G.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Sandi

Dear JA, <BR> <BR>I was wondering about the same thing. My husband and I are going to be in the Algarve from Oct. 3rd to Oct. 8th, staying in Albufiera (sp). I have checked many weather sites and they all seem to report "beach" weather at that time of year. You say you are from Alberta? I grew up in Edmonton, but am now living in Vancouver. We should hook up for a drink in Portugal!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:13 PM
ja

To xyz,Jean,John G & Sandi- <BR> Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll do my best to pack for all possible/ probable temperatures, as well as to pack "light" (I really don't want either of us to injure ourselves on luggage-hoisting this vacation!) I'll try to post when I get back so a recent weather report will be in. <BR> Sandi, we'll be in Alvor from late on the 7th until the 21- don't think we'll be up to travelling to Albufeira on our first full day (re:jet lag), but we'll certainly hoist a glass of the region's nicest red towards the direction of Albufeira in a toast to a fellow Edmontonian! I'm on my workplace pc here, don't have one at home yet- may I e-mail you if you'd like to communicate further? Anyway, enjoy your vacation - we ceratinly intend to.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:25 PM
linda

Probably will be warm. Lisbon has been very hot - in the 90's and Alvor is south of Lisbon. I would say you will probably be able to wear shorts during the daytime but take long pants and maybe a cotton sweater for the evenings. Don't bring a lot of clothes - Portugal is very casual. Most important thing to bring is comfortable shoes!! I've been to Alvor - it's nice- enjoy

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Jean-Pierre Gauthier

Hello everyone, <BR> <BR>We're going to Portimao from Oct 9 to Nov 14. Will have a car as we like to visit the countryside. <BR> <BR>We would be glad to share a bottle of the wonderful Portugese wine. <BR> <BR>Also, can anyone link us to french or English speaking folks in the Algarve? <BR> <BR>We were there some 10 years ago and loved it (that's why we are adding 2 extra weeks). <BR> <BR>Thanks to all,

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Renée Raymond

Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm from Québec City where it also gets very cold. I'm just back from Portugal (September 4th to the 18th) where I visted mostly the north (Porto) and all the way down to Lisbon. Didn't get to the Algarve. It was just so HOT everywhere else we didn't even want to see a beach! We were literally fighting for the shade of a mule. Shade is hard to come by because it always seems to be taken. The temperature varied from 23 to 34 degrees, I'd say. We had sun the whole time. They said it was an unusually great september, though. Maybe another vintage year for Port wines... <BR> <BR>We wore light loose clothing, t-shirts... I wore bermuda shorts a lot but had the impression everyone was looking at me all the time. You don't ever see poeple in shorts or bermudas there unless they are tourists. But the women wear tight, skimpy, low-necked string-strapped t-shirts and very tight stretch pants that made me look like a nun in comparison. We brought raincoats, sweaters, jeans, jackets, but didn't take them out once. Boy, was it hot! <BR> <BR>Bring confortable shoes though because the streets are all mosaic cobblestones and are really hard to walk on. We had bought some really great Ecco sandals before we left (turns out they're made in Portugal) and didn't get a blister, but the Portugese really looked at us strangely. The women wear high heels. I still don't understand how they managed to walk the cobblestones with thoses things... <BR> <BR>But don't worry.. I'd bring a sweater and jacket and jeans just in case, but don't count on wearing them too often. Your from alberta for god's sake! I'm actually from Saskatchewan,myself, originally. I understand. The people there said the the fall season was for the northern tourists (Sweden, Germany, Canada, etc) those who don't like the weather too hot. I wouldn't ever imagine going there in July or August after what I experienced. <BR> <BR>Have a good time.