Back from wonderful week in London

Sep 1st, 2001, 11:33 PM
DeeInLB

Back from wonderful week in London

Just got back from a week in London then a week in Paris and had a terrific time! I got a lot of great suggestions from this board before our trip, so I wanted to return the favor and offer a few of my own humble opinions in hopes they'll help someone else...

We loved where we stayed: Millennium Bailey's Hotel on Gloucester Road in Kensington. It's directly across the street from the Gloucester Road Underground station -- very convenient. It's a great little neighborhood, too. And the hotel itself is a 4-star and very nice. We got a great deal -- 70 GBP/night -- using Lastminute.com.

My two favorite activities in London were touring the state rooms of Buckingham Palace and touring the Houses of Parliament. Both are only open for limited times in the summer. Ordered the palace tickets online before we left, but bought the Parliament tickets the day we toured it. At the palace, we heard others say they had just bought their tickets and were able to go right in. As I said in another post, the palace is wonderful. You get to see the entire ground floor. Definitely buy the guidebook, which describes the rooms and the history behind them. Parliament was fascinating, too. Our tour guide said the arguing that the members of Parliament do, like you can see on CSPAN, is one of their "checks and balances" ... cracked me up!

My big mistake of the trip was buying a three-day Visitor Travelcard. What a waste. We only used it once -- at the Tower of London. It wasn't good at any of the other places we went: Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Royal Observatory in Greenwich, British Museum (that was free anyway).

We did, however, make good use of our 7-day transit passes, which we also bought in advance, over the RailEurope web site (www.raileurope.com). We exchanged the voucher at the Heathrow Underground station after we arrived and were on our way.

Took a day trip to Bath, which was great. We took the train from Paddington Station, and bought our tickets on the spot. It was about 30 GBP/person. Bath is beautiful. The Roman Baths were interesting, but it was very crowded when we were there, and difficult to see the displays. If I were doing it again, I'd skip the tour of the Baths and just see the town.

That's far from it, but I don't want to go on and on. We had a wonderful time! I'm still reveling in it a week later.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:24 AM
Marty

Dee: Do you know how long the state rooms will remain open. We will be in London the last week in September.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 07:50 AM
aja

Did you visit Bath on a weekend or week day?

Sep 2nd, 2001, 08:13 AM
Linda

Thanks for your information on London, Dee! I'm wondering if the "Visitor Travelcard" that you said was not worth the purchase is the same as the "London Pass"!..I've been considering a London Pass for a trip later this month but don't know if it's worth it..or does anyone else out there have an opinion on it? Thanks

Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:23 PM
DeeInLB

Marty: The state rooms at Buckingham Palace are open through Sept. 30. Here's the Web site: https://www.the-royal-collection.com...36753650284730

Aja: We went to Bath on a Wednesday.

Linda: Yes, the "London Pass" is the proper name! That's the one we unfortunately only used once. Definitely not worth the money, from our experience. The good transit pass was the "London Visitor Travelcard." Sorry to mix up those names. I should've looked them up last night when I was typing my posting.

Sep 8th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Joanne

The London Pass does cover Buckingham Palace (and the Royal Mews), as well as special, fee-charging exhibits at the British Museum (e.g., Cleopatra, which otherwise would cost 7).

Since everyone's touring preferences are unique, the only way to determine whether the London Pass is worth it is to check out their offerings at their site. Don't overlook goodies like the Catamaran Cruisers down the Thames from Westminster to Greenwich, or the free Teddy Bear at Hamley's toy store, discounts at restaurants and theaters, etc.

http://www.londonpass.com/

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Becky

Try the London for Less card. It is only $19.95 when purchased in the US and is valid for up to 4 people for 8 days. You recieve a guide book, map, discounts for many attractions, hotels, and some 90 restaurants offer 25% off the final bill. Not every attraction was of use to us, but some we found helpful were the London Zoo, Madame Tussaude's, St Paul's Cathedral, Tower of London, The London Dungeon, and The Clink.

Sep 9th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Joanne

We were very disappointed in the London Zoo and wish we hadn't bothered with it. Dirty, crowded, poor maps and signs, etc.

Sep 9th, 2001, 02:57 PM
s.fowler

Joanne -- I assume you are talking about the Regnts Park Zoo? If so I am really sorry to hear your comments -- I enjoyed it very much back in the late 70s.

Sep 9th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Joanne

Yes, the Regent's Park zoo. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings -- I had enjoyed it very much in the mid-80s with my older daughter, and was disappointed last month when I brought the younger two kids, now teens.

Sep 24th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Margie

Dee: We have reservations at the Millennium Bailey's Hotel Oct 7th for a week. Did you find any interesting restaurants in the area of the hotel? I assume your breakfast was included with the room, what did you think of it? I have been to London two times before, but upgraded this time to the 4 star, as our prior accomodations were not great. So glad you like the Millennium.

Sep 24th, 2001, 07:58 PM
gigi

Glad to hear you had a great time! Any great dining experiences you'd care to share? Did you 'do tea' anywhere?