Packing for Spain - need help

May 3rd, 2004, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Packing for Spain - need help

Sorry about the double posting. Posted on the wrong board previously. We're leaving on May 13 for 2 1/2 weeks: Madrid, Seville, Barcelona. Lots of questions about what to pack, can anyone help? What kind of weather to expect? Dry or Rain? Humid? Do I need shorts at that time of year? Or pack for cold? Seems like the weather reports are all over the thermometer. Also, having a little dilemma about the shoes. I have comfortable Merrells for daytime walking, but what about the night life? I want to bring a pair of heels and a skirt, but my husband says no way, there will be even too much walking at night. Can't imagine wearing my Merrells out for a night of dancing. Any advice ladies?
Thank you,
Leslie

May 3rd, 2004, 08:49 PM

I can't comment on the weather in Spain but will give advice that I follow myself - pack clothes that 'layer' well. Don't sweat over trying to 2nd guess weather predictions. I personally wouldn't do high heels but a pair of good looking flats or something dressy-ish with a rubber sole & chunky heel, with pieces that can make a decent pants or skirt outfit if you plan to take in some nightlife. I love my Merrell loafers but travel with a couple pair of sandals too (less clothes more shoes is my packing lite motto).

Against advice of some I do take 1 pair of knit shorts, last trip was caught in an amazing unexpected heatwave in Switzerland & was glad to have them.
May 3rd, 2004, 09:04 PM

I would go prepared for just about anything. We just got back yesterday and it was in the 40's and rainy in Madrid and everybody there was wearing winter coats and heavy scarves, but I think that was unusual for May.

On the other hand, last year we were there a month earlier and it was warm and sunny, and we were comfortable in short-sleeved shirts.

So, who knows? But most likely it will be reasonably warm, maybe even hot. If you take layers-- like some short sleeved tops and a cardigan, and a light jacket, you should be OK for a range of conditions.

Personally, I would not wear shorts there, but that's a matter of personal preference. If it's warm you can always wear a skirt with some comfortable sandals for walking.

I did take a couple of nice skirts and heels for evening, but I only wore the heels when I didn't plan to walk a lot.
May 3rd, 2004, 10:49 PM

I found a "solution" to the dressy issue in Spain by bringing a long, but somewhat casual black skirt that I was able to wear with my Echo shoes (slight heel, low boot style) which worked well for me. I did bring a pair of heels the first time and wore them once, but could have gotten away with the long skirt and Echos, which, if I had to walk, would have been better.

As far a weather, check out weatherunderground.com and do a history search for the past few years. Of course, the weather anywhere can be unpredictable, but I'd guess you'll have nice weather. Let us know when you get back.

Have a great trip.
May 4th, 2004, 03:55 AM

Ahhh Spain....... my advice:
1. Have a great trip!
2. Pack layers
3. No shorts, a casual skirt is ok, but if you plan to visit cathedrals your knees and shoulders will need to bwe covered.
4. Take something dressy if you normally like to dress for dinner, etc...the Spaniards are very fashionable and my first visit I felt quite frumpy with my "dressy" walking sandals at dinner!
5. Do take "dressy" walking shoes for touring.
6. Have a great time!
May 4th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Singletail

Expect humidity in Barcelona and much less so in Madrid.

Since you have specifically "restricted" the advice you get about clothing to other women I'll say no more...but you'll look a lot more appealing (sure you want to)if you are wearing something comfortable...take it from a man who knows. Enjoy Spain.

May 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Leslie,

We just came back from out trip to Spain. It was warm in Madrid - I wore a thin blouse in the evening without a jacket. It was really hot in Seville during the day (take a hat, few sleeveless shirts and a small sun block). It was much colder in Granada and Barcelona. We were wearing a sweater and a jacket there.
Definitely take at least one dressy outfit. Women dress so well in Madrid and Seville, it would be a shame to feel underdressed when you go out to flamenco show, nice restaurant or just for an evening stroll. But for the day, definitely take comfortable shoes. Also, pack a lot of underwear and socks - consider that you will want to take a shower and change after sightseeing before going out in the evening.