packing

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
packing

i need a site that will give me packing tips. i have heard abt one with a custom packing list. something to do with mac erickson..or something. i kno my request isnt very specific but please help me!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try this one

www.packinglight.com

It is a travel shop that gives detailed instructions for a great packing system and lists of what to take. Makes it easy to get everything or a pretty long trip into a rollaboard or smallish duffel bag.

(I usually pack even lighter than that site advises, but it is a useful starting point)
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May not be the one you want but give this a try..

http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/packlist.jsp
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 04:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi fuchchi,

I just checked and the list they recommend is great, but I wish to offer an alternative.

I am of the school were the least amount is not enough for me when traveling. I don't feel guilty about it or feel I have to defend it, but at the same time I would like to explain it.

I can't stand having to worry about washing stuff or about not having enough for a trip. I went on a 3 week group excursion tour and based my packing on a pack light theory and ended up fighting wash for 3 weeks. I won't ever do that again.

I think there is a happy medium and the concept of packing what you need but packing smart and organized is the ticket. with that said, use the search button for a concept called "the 7 day suitcase".

I posted this last year to many catcalls, but at the same time I have had many emails that say it really works. It has worked well for me and I have even fine tuned it a little if you are interested email me at

[email protected]

and I will send you the most up to date instructions.

This method will get you through up to two weeks without washing anything other than some underwear. It is set for 7 days without washing anything and works really well if you are going from place to place out of a suitcase.

hope this helps!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:10 PM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the most important rules for packing light is to make sure that your bags are light when they are empty. Eight pounds for your "main" bag (i.e., a "rollaboard", for example), and eight OUNCES for your "carry-on" (i.e., a small-medium nylon duffel, for example).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally prefer not to pack super-light either. There's no inherent virtue or moral superiority in doing so. Of course the rougher the terrain you have to go through, the lighter you want to pack. But if you do not have to lug your luggage for miles, a suitcase and a carryon are not excessive. If I took just a carryon, I would feel uncomfortable having to re-wear clothes I did not feel were clean. I also do laundry about every 5 days.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:44 AM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a point of clarification: traveling with luggage that is lightweight can actually be the basis for not feeling like it is so necessary to pack light to the point of austerity.

In fact, I don't think that I do travel light, really. I was thinking that I previously posted our most recent experience - - I actually did have every one each bag before our 11 day trip, and again near the end of the trip (flying Ryanair) - - but I cannot find that post now, so I am quoting this by memory which might not be accurate. My "rollaboard", which I checked, (8 pounds empty) weighed about 28 pounds packed, and my carry-on (nylon duffel) contained almost as much stuff at about 19 pounds (less than 1 pound empty). My wife packed the lightest at 29+8, and the kids were all in the low-to-mid 40's.

We got all this into a mid-sized station wagon, with no significant crowding. The exact same amount of stuff - - but with 26" suitcases and smaller carry-ons (or even no carry-ons) would have made the moving around much more difficult, in my opinion.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another way to maximize your stuff, but conserve space, is to use those travel space bags. The ones that look like really big zip locs but have a vent at one end - You roll them to squeeze all the air out, they save a lot of space and are waterproof as a bonus.
I also found them helpful for keeping my clean and dirty clothes separate.

I found them on qvc & hsn , for the best price/combo packs.

Debbie
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with condensing your stuff (I used jumbo ziplocks last trip for the first time, sat on them to get the air out) is you CAN get alot more in your suitcase ... therefore the same size bag is aLOT heavier!!!

For Fuchchi, another good packing site is at www.ricksteves.com.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://fodors.com/traveltips/packing/

Another source of packing "tips".
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some packing tips from me

Make a list, and lay everything out on the bed or on a sheet on the floor.
Put the outfits together, including the belts and socks and shoes.

I am not a light packer by most standards, but I'm better than I used to be. I used to put things in the suitcase as I took them out of the bureau or closet--not a good system.

If you lay everything out and check things off on a list, you will find that you can mix and match better, substitute one outfit for another, make a jacket or pair of shoes work for several outfits.
Plus, you can leave the check list at home should you ever need it for insurance purposes.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of packing and traveling light---the lighter the better as far as I'm concerned.

The link below is to a thread that includes my packing list for a trip to Europe earlier this year (the list is about three posts down):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=Therese&fid=2

I never regret packing light, and am frequently thrilled to find that I'm strolling right past people who've decided that they need bring their entire wardrobes with them. I flew to Vancouver (from Atlanta) last week and never had to hassle with baggage carousels or luggage carts. Carry-on status got me past several lines as well, and the agent who checked me in gave me a "great job" comment when I had nothing to check.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elaine, I love your advice! This is what I usually do - lay out the things I'm taking on my bed. Love this part of getting ready
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's lovely when the simplest advice is the best. Elaine's advice could be paraphrased as "Give some thought and planning to what you are taking" - - preferably more than 2 hours before it is time to leave for the airport.

Advice I wish I could get myself to follow more diligently than I usually do.

Alas, at least I have my somewhat poorly planned selections in bags that do not weigh too much!