Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Package Shipping - Italy to U.S. (sources)

Mar 19th, 2001, 09:10 AM
John

We are taking a cruise from U.S. to Civitavecchia (Rome) followed by 5 weeks visiting several areas in Europe (life is tough).

Our objective is ship back to the U.S. the clothes we use on the ship to lighten our load for Europe portion of trip.

Would like to know specifics of shipping the clothes back.

Source (UPS? a shipping company?)
Where located (Civitavecchia office? office in Rome?
Addresses, phone numbers, and/or directions -appreciated.
Any packing do's / don'ts? (Size limits, weight limits? etc?)
Documentation do's / don'ts? (Assume we need proof we did not purchase clothes during travel - what kind?)

Any Web sites that are known that may be helpful.

Thanks in advance. (The advice given in this forum is super)

Mar 19th, 2001, 01:04 PM
elvira

Have you asked the cruise line if they can offer the service? Seriously, why lug all that stuff off the ship, into Italy, then to a mail service, filling out paperwork, etc., if the cruise ship can do it for you? Or, while on the cruise, pack up and ship stuff as you go along?

Mar 19th, 2001, 04:35 PM
John

Yes,

The cruise ship can handle regular mail but not packages.

The cruise is Miami to Rome with the only stops in Europe (Portugal, Spain, S. France and Italy).

It is interesting to me that on searches on multiple threads/multiple web sites, I have not found the subject addressed other than general guidance - with mostly 'don't do it'.

Worst case scenario is that I will 'cut new ground' for fodorites and then post the outcome as guidance for future searchers.

Mar 19th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Sally

Haven't tried this but, you might ask at your hotel also. Our hotel in Paris offered to ship some of our purchased for us.

Mar 19th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Rex

I'm sorry that this answer is not based on personal experience, but I believe that thee have been a number of good experiences reported here, using Mailboxes Etc - - www.mbe.com - - and they will counsel in which courier to use. their website shows a lot of locations in Italy (none in Civitavecchia) - - five in Rome.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 19th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Linda R.

Hi John,

You will find UPS in two locations in Rome. One is Via del Traforo 136 which is a little east of the Trevi fountain. Open 9AM to 1PM and 3PM to 7PM.
The other is at Via della Magliana 329 which is not near the center of the city, but near the southwest part.

I emailed UPS and got a response from the Italy office right away. My husband and I are doing the same thing you are, only we need to ship our stuff to Southampton for when we return to the states on the QE2. No flying for me!! Hate it!!

Hope this helps, Linda

Mar 20th, 2001, 05:30 AM
John

Thank you for the suggestions.

After the experience we will post the result.

Mar 20th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Paul

We've used Mail Boxes, Etc. (same company as in USA). Their web site lists the locations overseas: www.mbe.com. We've always had good results. They ship UPS from Italy, and we've received the package within 7 days of it being sent.

Mar 20th, 2001, 09:08 AM
mom

Floridian friends of my parents used to go to England every autumn for two months. They used to pick up coats, other bulky things they would need while there on super sale, at thrift shops, or garage sales. They would then donate them to a charity group in London before they left, and use their now empty suitcases to bring home the pewter and antiques they had purchased on their trip. You might consider a variation on this theme!