Oysters safe to eat?

Jun 29th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Oysters safe to eat?

We wanted to try Moran's Oyster pub near Galways in late July- safe to eat then??
Jun 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM

If they wince when you squeeze lemon juice on them then they are safe to eat. Never chew an oyster you swallow them whole.
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM

I'm guessing this question relates to the adage to only eat oysters in months with an "R", otherwise they are not safe due to bacteria levels from a warmer season. I have no idea if this logical-sounding adage applies to the waters around Ireland, if that is even where the oysters come from.
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM

If they serve them to you, they're safe to eat.
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM

I think most places have a restaurant famous for their oysters and that is one of the things that makes them famous-safe! Here in Boston, we have legal Sea Foods. The owner has his own. microbiologist that checks what's served for safty. I've been eating oysters there for many years.
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Where Huitres ? She is an expert oysterphile !
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:05 PM

St Cirq hit it on the head! If you haven't noticed, the locals live there!
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Airlawgirl

Anyone that would imply that Legal Sea Foods is the definitive oyster house in Boston doesn't know Boston or oysters. I mean, for God's sake, Legal is a chain-has branches at DCA in Washington, at Logan-and other places-the oysters are okay but they are HARDLY what represents the best in oyster houses in Boston!

No, if you are looking for the truely authentic, definitive oyster experience in Boston, there's only one-that would be Union Oyster House- oldest restaurant in continuous operation in the US-dating from early 1800's. Now THERE they serve some oysters! Even Daniel Webster himself would go there several times a week to slurp up his daily ration along with a tumbler of brandy. I've never had better.

Jun 29th, 2004, 06:22 PM

It does not matter that they are a chain. I was going to the union oyster house most likely before you were born. I still go there but it's more the experience like going to the Procope in paris. I'll bike over there to sit at the bar and enjoy talking to the tourists. I'm an oyster fan and seek out places wherever i go.
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Airlawgirl

"like the Procope in Paris" utterly absurd statement!

Jun 29th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Airlawgirl

"it doesn't matter if it's a chain restaurant" No, of course it doesn't, Cigale, honey. A lot of people like chain seafood restaurants, and there's nothing wrong with them. I mean, for that matter, you can get a good oyster at Red Lobster, no? (smile)

Jun 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM

listen, sweetie, it's not like a red lobster, a chain we do not have here. Legal started in my neighborhood, one restaurant with fresh seafood and grew later but, growth do not diminish the FRESH FOOD. Legal is noy sophisticated seafood, I';ll go to NYC to Bernadin's for that. BUT you will get as fresh as possible. They have their own boats.
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM

I just hope one of you doesn't call the other an idiot over an oyster.
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Airlawgirl

Wow! ....have their own boats. now, where are we? Boston? I mean, I DON'T allege to live there and can think of at least two waterside seafood restaurants downtown that have their own boats-sheesh! If that represents the best in your recommendations for oysters, God knows where you'd steer people to for other gourmet delights!

Jun 29th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Air you are only looking for a dispute, I know my restaurants and fresh foods in my own town. You believe what you want.This is a travel forum not an up-one-ship.
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Airlawgirl

Budman-you've finally made me chuckle! and it was the broken heart that did it!

Jun 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Airlawgirl

Later-gots to speechify in London next week-, flanneruk, are you listening? you'd sure like to hear what I have to say!

Jun 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM

My family and I stopped at the Legal Seafood at Logan Airport and were pleasently surprised at the quality of the food. The oyster were very fresh and the famed chowder was up to the praise that the press gives it. But back to Paris, I'd say that the oysters at La Marée and Prunier's were superb.
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:28 PM

I have a son in Boston who swears by Legal and yes, he has taken me to the Union old house for oysters, fun and historical but as my son says, not a place to meet the townies. It is the oldest restaurant in Boston and that is why cigale compares it to Procope, the oldest in Paris.
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:30 PM

To answer your question, I believe the water is cold enough not to be a problem with the oyster harvest in Ireland.

I've always wanted to go to Moran's Oyster pub, especially during the oyster festival.

http://www.moransoystercottage.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO