Search

Oxford in July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxford in July

I'll be in Oxford this July. Any suggestions? Also, I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to get to Straford upon Avon from Oxford via bus or train. Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:33 AM

"Any suggestions" for what? Accomodations, sites, food, pubs, or ???
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM

I'd be glad to help you with suggestions for Oxford but need more information. Are you interested in hotels/restaurants? What is your budget? As to activities, what are your interests?
You can get to Stratford-upon-Avon by train or bus; however,the bus will be cheaper and in my opinion easier.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

I'm taking a week long course at Christ Church and will have my afternoons free. I'm just starting to do some research into places to visit inn Oxford and the surrounding area, so am open to hearing other people's positive experiences. I'm traveling independently, willing to slurge on certain things (i.e. concerts or theater) but tend to be pretty frugal.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM

I always reccommend the Oxford Story for first timers in Oxford but since you'll be at Christ Church, this may be redunant. Tha Ashmolean Museum is excellent, and they have a very nice cafeteria. There are always a number of concert venues especially at the Sheldonian and all generally excellent and well priced. You will see posters for these events through out Oxford.
Be sure and visit St. Michael's Saxon Tower as this will give you a bird's eye view of Oxford and is one of the few places where the town's architecture can be appreciated. St. Mary's Church also hs great views from its tower. There are some very good walks along the Cherwell especially toward Iffley( from Magdalen College). In fact St. Mary's Church at Iffley (about a two mile walk) is an excellent example of Romanesque architecture.
I would strongly advise that you visit the Tourist Information Centre at Gloucester Green. Keep in mind that there is a plethora of places you can easily visit from Oxford such as Woodstock(Blenheim Palace),Bath, Stratford, Warwick as well as a number of Cotswold villages. London is only 70 minutes via coach.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:06 PM

England's best kept secret: Oxford is surprisingly close to being a cultural desert, especially out of term time - except for small-scale classical concerts, at which it and its hinterland are quite rich. www.dailyinfo.co.uk for daily details: the tabloid section of the local weekly (Oxford Times) for detailed "what's on" in the scores of smaller villages around. There's a huge culture of local amateur (but excellent) choirs hiring professional orchestras and soloists - usually performing in the beautiful medieval churches that the area profuses in

Splurges for theatres and larger-scale concerts really make better sense at Stratford for theatres(http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/t...bles.php#guide for the train: there's one specifically timed to let you get back to London or Oxford after the evening performances), or London. Buses to London run 24 hours a day, often every 5 minutes, and if you use megabus can cost as little as £1.

The Great Western Link website above also gives timetables for the train service through the Cotswolds. By far he best way to see the area is on foot: see www.clpg.co.uk/clpgfwtt.htm for a guide on how to do this, using the trains

There's also a complex network of buses to most of the Cotswolds. You can't use the buses to get to Stratford, see a play and get back (they stop running too early), but the bus is moderately scenic. However going to Stratford really doesn't make sense without going to the theatre.

The most reliable source of bus timetables from Oxford is at www.traveline.org.uk

No period in Oxford is complete in the summer unless you've learned to punt.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the resources and ideas!

I was wondering if you have any favorite Cotswold villages?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM

For Cotswold villages,I would recommend Burford, Great Tew, Mickleton (N.E. of Broadway on the B4632), Upper & Lower Slaughter.

Broadway, Bibury and Burton-on-the-Water are fine too but far more touristy.