Oxford accommodation choices are leaving me cold

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As appealing as the Old Bank and the Old Parsonage Hotel look, I can't afford to stay at such places while in Oxford this spring. I've researched a number of other hotels and B&Bs but many, it seems, get poor reviews despite high prices and/or are far away. For visiting the area around the lower part of Woodstock Road, if the city centre isn't an option, would it make sense to stay toward the north? I don't mind walking a mile or two (won't have a car) but I would like to be where restaurants are nearby to avoid wandering far on my own at night. It's hard to get a sense of which area might be nicer than another. Would Summertown be a reasonable choice for me? Or should I just bite the bullet and stay in the centre of town?
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM

Although this is only 12 minutes old, I'm going to piggyback to keep it at the top. I too am confused about accommodations in Oxford. Prices seem very high and nothing is looking appealing. I will be following this thread, too.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
kja

Have you considered the Eastgate? I stayed there many years ago, and thought the location very good. It still seems to get good reviews.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM

We stayed in the Mercure, Oxford a couple of years ago. It was a short walk from the centre of town, but still had plenty happening in that area (food, shops etc).

It was close to the walk that takes you around the river, giving lovely views back across the college fields towards the sandstone buildings.

The hotel was a little on the quaint side, but the furnishings were up to date, the bathroom clean, the bed comfortable - it ticked all the essential boxes for us, without being top drawer.

The coach from Heathrow as well as local buses all stopped either just across the road, or almost outside the door, so we had no problems with not having a car either. Di
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you be there after the end of the academic year? If so, you could stay in one of the colleges. See http://www.oxfordrooms.co.uk/. I think there may be a few rooms available during term as well.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM

We had the same problem a few years ago and ended up staying at a Premier Inn, a few miles outside Oxford. That's not going to help the OP, though, if they don't have a car.

Kay
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you give us an idea of your budget for either a single or double?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes -- what is your budget? Oxford is not an inexpensive place to stay.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM

There are a number of good B&B's, some along Woodstock and Banbury Roads which have frequent bus service to Oxford Centre. Budget??
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM

My grandmother and I got a superb deal through booking.com on the MacDonald Randolf Hotel, otherwise known as The Randolf. It's 5 Stars and directly opposite the Ashmolean Museum. The location couldn't be better! We walked all over Oxford from there! We caught the bus out to Blenheim Palace/Woodstock and it was all very convenient. I suppose it depends how much you have to spend, The Randolf is on the expensive side, but we got it at almost half price and were only staying two days. The upper-class accents of all the hotel staff and the beautiful location are all pluses! The price of breakfast there ( 14 pounds per person ) is not. Still, it's a gorgeous hotel with loads of character and history ( The Inklings used to have meetings and dinner guests there on occasion ) and I would highly recommend it!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

I am hoping to stay for under £125 per night. Of course, even less would be better.

tuscanlifeedit: Glad I'm not the only one struggling with Oxford!

kja & di2315: The Mercure Eastgate is showing at about £110, so that is a possibility. I had looked at it before but it's good to read the comments here. The nearby riverside walk would be right up my alley.

thursdaysd: I will be there in early May.

KayF: What is 'OP'?

historytraveler: Are there particular B&Bs in that area that you like?

Irishwhistler: The MacDonald Randolf Hotel appears to be out of my price range, but maybe better rates are available.

Does anyone have an opinion on The Buttery? It's showing single occupancy rates from 65 to 95. Is it a bit dumpy?

Thanks for all your replies.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM

April, OP is you, the Original Poster.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM

"I will be there in early May."

http://www.oxfordrooms.co.uk/ shows en-suite rooms at Keble college (with breakfast in their gorgeous hall) just in your price range for at least some dates in May. There are other rooms at other colleges for much less, but not en-suite.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The Buttery is where I stay. Friendly staff, decent rooms (not at all what I'd call dumpy), full breakfast included and right smack in the middle of town.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Bookmarking . . .
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:24 PM

There are quite a few B&B's in the Headington area within that budget which we have yet to try. They are supposed to be a 10 minute bus ride into the city centre.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM

I stayed at the Randolph - excellent location and I agree with Irishwhistler - a great stay! I got a really good deal on Booking.com too. I had a hard time with Oxford too - but then found the great price on this one.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:54 PM

" if the city centre isn't an option, would it make sense to stay toward the north? I "

There are no restaurants or pubs on Woodstock Rd north of Somerville College. There's an OK-ish clutch of places about a mile or so north on Banbury Rd (almost parallel to Woodstock Rd), in the reasonably bustly shopping strip at Summertown, though you might find it further than you're happy walking. Apart from Summertown, both roads are virtually entirely late 19th c residential/academic from Somerville to the ring road (c 2 miles), where there's a cluster of Legoland chain hotels.

Which said: Oxford hotels are generally pricier than their London equivalents, there's no prospect of any significant increase in room numbers ever, but individual places may have offers from time to time. Unlike most English cities, midweek tends to be their offseason: the city doesn't really have an offseason time of the year, except for bits of Jan/Feb.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

jubiladaon: Ah. Thanks.

thursdaysd: This is a very interesting option. For my dates I'm seeing St Stephen's House, St Hugh's College, and Somerville College. Keble College must be unavailable for one of my dates, which is unfortunate because it has a single ensuite. I 'need' my own bathroom.

MmePerdu: Thank you. It was hard to tell from the few photos on their website.

europeannovice: That is an area I hadn't considered.

fleur64: On the booking site I'm seeing £ 592.22 for three nights at the Randolph for my dates. It has the Mercure for £ 365. A location near the Botanic Gardens appeals to me. Did you go there?

Thanks, everyone. I am feeling more hopeful about places to stay in Oxford.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, flanneruk - I somehow missed your post before. I'm curious to know what area (or hotel) would be your preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -