Reload this Page >

Overnite in Brussels-Need Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Bridget

On our return from Ireland, we have to do a stop over in Brussels. (Arrive 2pm-leave next day 11am). We were thinking of staying near the airport and taking public transportation in to town. Any suggestions on where to stay? What to see for the evening? We'd like to keep it under $100 if at all possible. Thanks!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:46 PM
BTilke

Your best bet would be the Sheraton at the airport. Its "rack rates" are well above $100 but there are all kinds of deals around. Your airline may have special rates. Remember, you'll have to be back at the airport by 9:30 am to check in for an 11 am flight. <BR>If you can stay at the Sheraton Airport, you'll be literally less than a minute's walk from the airport, which makes it the most convenient place for you. I believe there is an Ibis by the airport, which is more in keeping with your budget but it's not as close. <BR>Anyway, the best thing to do then is take the train from the airport to the Central Station (gare centrale) and walk to the Grand Place (a couple of minutes). For dinner, you could try one of the many, many restaurants around the Grand Place or walk up to the Sablon (very lovely area, about 15 minute's walk from the Grand Place) and have a nice dinner at Cafe Lola or Au Vieux Saint Martin. A really nice restaurant in the downtown area but not by the Grand Place is La Manufacture on rue Notre Dame du Sommeil, but you would need to take a cab (it's on a tiny street and very difficult to find). Excellent food, excellent service. Your hotel could reserve a table for you. All three restaurants are moderately priced, but could be expensive if you order their best wine and priciest dishes.<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Bridget

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for deals at the Sheraton! Close - is good! Are there any "must see's" that you would recommend for our quick trip into town? A view - monument, etc? (Wish we had more time) Thanks again.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:34 AM
justtrying

Bridget: BTilke's info sounds perfect. However, if you decide to stay elsewhere (i.e. closer to the Grand Place), there have been many threads recently regarding where to stay in Brussels. Try searching for Brussels (if you are lucky enough to get that function to work!?!)

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:12 AM
BTilke

Assuming you actually get in on time, by the time you retrieve your luggage, check in to the hotel (hope you can snag a room at the Sheraton) and get into town by train, it will be 4 pm. That puts museums out of the picture. Your best bet is to see the Grand Place as soon as you get into town, then walk up to the Sablon, go into the garden square right there, then turn right up rue la Regence to the Palais de Justice. You can get a great view of things from there (on a clear day), then walk past the Palais de Justice up the Avenue Louise. At the Place Louise, stop in the Cafe Nemrod (between the Ferragamo and Louis Vuitton stores) for a drink, then walk up the Ave Louise to the Conrad Hotel, cross the street and walk back down. The tiny Rue Jourdain, across the street from the Inno department store, is full of restaurants--the three best are Meo Patacca (Italian), Piccolo Mondo (also Italian) and the Riverside. All will give you a nice dinner, moderately priced. If you have dinner there, catch the metro back to the Gare Centrale, walk back to the Grande Place for a night time view, then head back for your train. Or you may decide not to venture that far off from the Grand Place and just hang around there. The restaurants are hit or miss there, mostly touristy, although I have to admit we've enjoyed a few meals at Chez Leon there. It's the best of the Leon restaurant chain (I've had some truly terrible meals at other Leon restaurants, but they seem to keep standards higher at the Grand Place restaurant). <BR>FYI, last year I met a few people who said they were able to get rooms at the Hilton for $99 a night. It's on the Blvd. Waterloo, not by the airport, but it's a good location (don't go into the little park behind the Hilton after dark--many people have been mugged there, including me). Don't pick a hotel near the Gare du Midi, no matter how good a deal you're offered. It's simply not a safe neighborhood.<BR>BTilke

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Bridget

Thanks so much - we got a room at the Sheraton for $128 incl bkfast. I printed out your suggestions and will take along with me. Great advice!!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:37 PM
BTilke

Have a good time! Just to be sure, your room is at the Airport Sheraton and not the downtown Sheraton (Place Rogier), right? <BR>Lucky you, you'll be staying in a hotel with air conditioning. Brussels weather is not usually hot, but we had a killer mini heat wave Monday and Tuesday--the temps were well over 90 degrees (F) and humid. Weather has gone back to normal, thank goodness.<BR>BTilke