Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at LeMeridien Montparnasse in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:02 AM
nyet

Hi there<BR><BR>I wondered if anyone has stayed at the Le Meridien Montparnasse in Paris before. WIll be there in August. Would like to know if it is convenient?<BR><BR>THanks

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Ursula

nyet hi! Convenient yes. The hotel is next to the train station Montparnasse and it is well located for public transportation. However, the metro stop is huge with endless tunnels, but a lot of busses pass Montparnasse station. To avoid this big station with several lines, you could either use "Gaîté" or "Edgar-Quinet" stop. They are on different lines and are more convenient (just 1 line).You can get a map at every metro stop and most probably also in your hotel which BTW is a 4-star and has over 950 rooms. If I remember well, it's quite modern with all amenities, but do not expect the charm of a small left bank hotel. I am sure it has A/C which you will need in August. Enjoy Montparnasse and do go to one of the huge well-known brasseries/cafés such as La Coupole, Le Sélect, La Rotonde on Boulevard Montparnasse. <BR>In Montparnasse, you will find a lot of nice places to eat and it is less touristy than Saint-Germain and the Quartier Latin, but very lively. A lot of restaurants, cafés and theaters in that area. <BR>Some places I do like to go are:<BR>"Le Bistrôt du Dôme"<BR>1, Rue Delambre<BR>"Le Caméléon"<BR>6,Rue de Chevreuse/<BR>off Blvd. Montparnasse<BR>(next to Vavin metro stop)<BR>"Brasserie Fernand"<BR>127, Bldv. Montparnasse<BR><BR>Go for a drink in the evening to the Montparnasse Tower restaurant "Le Ciel de Paris" (56th floor).<BR><BR>Have fun and enjoy!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Anonymous

I am replying this way because I am tired of Fodor folk blasting the real me.<BR> Fodor folk love boutique hotels, so they don't like Le Meridien Montparnassne. I love it; for the following reasons. If you reserve a room, they will have it for you. It will look like the one in the brochure. They keep the rooms very, very clean; move the furniture every day and provide clean, ironed sheets every day. If you make a reservation a long time in advance you can negotiate a very good rate. The breakfast is over priced, but the buffet dinner is magnificent, bountiful, changed daily and delicious. <BR><BR> It is close to several metro stations and the Montparnassne rail station. Although the station is huge, it <BR>is very clean and safe. It is good to use in rain storms.<BR><BR> The rooms are a bit on the small side, but most have a great view of the city and are very light. They also have shower curtains by the bathtub. <BR><BR>The Air France bus stops right across the street. Although it is on a busy street the rooms are very quiet.<BR><BR>I have stayed here many times and prefer it to the boutique hotels. <BR><BR>One bad thing, the Concierge is useless.<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:21 PM
so

each to his own...why make judgements on those who prefer boutique hotels?2

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:06 PM
anonymous

Hi, so:<BR><BR>Almost everything I have ever posted, how ever innocent has been rudely attacted. I am not "Fred" and I am not a travel agent.<BR><BR>I am not attacking you, so why are you attacking me? <BR><BR>I have noticed many Fodor posters criticizing large hotels, but many boutique hotels have problems that I would rather not have. <BR><BR>The poster asked about this hotel, and I have stayed there, so I wanted to tell the person what I thought about it.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:23 AM
nyet

Thanks Ursula!!<BR><BR>Will let you know how I enjoyed the place when I get back.