Overnight train - Moscow--St. P.

Jul 6th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Overnight train - Moscow--St. P.

My husband and I are booked for an overnight train trip from Moscow to St. Petersburg in August. I understand there are no windows that open in the sleeping berth, just in the corrider. Unfortunately, my husband is somewhat claustrophic and cannot sleep in a small compartment without air movement. Is there any forced air in these sleeping berths? How hot is it in there during August nights? Is it possible to safely keep the door partially wedged open for air movement? And finally, if he cannot stay in the sleeping berth, is there someplace else he could sit for the night? Thanks for your help.
Jul 6th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Intrepid

Many of the first class cars, sleeping and otherwise, in Europe do not have windows that readily open and if they do they don't open all the way. I believe the cars on the overnights between these two cities are air conditioned but I suspect someone else will know that for certain so I am topping this for you.

Jul 6th, 2003, 11:59 AM

My husband and I did this journey 3 years ago. We had a 2 berth compartment which he found very stuffy as it was so small. The bedlinen was like a tablecloth and the bunks very uncomfy.
Lots of passengers walked the corridor all night,but those were the ones in the 4 berths.I was apalled by the toilet conditions- It was so bad I held in till St Petersburg. We found the weather there quite chilly for the time of year so take a jumper or cardy for when you are out and about.
Hope you enjoy your holiday. It's a whole new experience!
Jul 7th, 2003, 04:19 PM

You might find a vacant seat in the Platzcartny wagon. That's the cheapest way to go. I used it last year as those were the only tickets avaliable on short notice, only 18USD round trip, but never again; hot, uncomfortable, jam-packed. Just...aaagh. Sorry. I vowed this year to get the ticket earlier. Have fun
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:17 AM

There is a train that makes the journey in 4 hours. It was introduced about 1.5 years ago. I am not sure about schedule from Moscow, should be easy to find out.
I know that it leaves St.P to Moscow at 7 p.m
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:49 AM

We did a trip last summer and loved it (though we were sooo tired we fell asleep pretty much right away). Here is what I can tell you: the windows do not open. Do not leave the door open overnight under any circumstances. And there is an airconditioning ( I think, anyway, we traveled in August and it was confortable)
The train you're probably talking about is called Strela. It leaves Moscow around 12-1 am at night and gets into St.Petersburg at around 8 in the morning.
Yes, toilets are not exactly the cleanest, but it ain't a 4-class hotel either. Just don't use the toilets at the train station --- these are trully disgusting.
Now, definitely make sure you're going in a two-bed compartment -- that's really the best way to travel, if these tickets are not available, buy the entire car (4 beds) -- it will be worth it -- you don't want to end up sharing the car w/2 strangers.
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Where can you buy these tickets in US?
Jul 11th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Intrepid

The daytime "fast" train leaves around 7:25 AM on Wednesdays and Saturdays and takes 4 hours and 42 minutes. On Mondays and Thurdays it leaves at 6:30 Pm and arrives at 11:12 PM. On a daily basis #160 leaves Moscow at 4:30 and arrives St. Pete at 10:18 PM..this latter service carries a restaurant car..the others, I believe, do not. Hope this helps a little.

Jul 11th, 2003, 12:50 PM

shternm
I bought the tickets in Moscow at the train station, but if you do go that route, I would recommend doing it a few days in advance (as trains book quickly during summer months), and preferably having someone who speaks russian w/you to buy tickets. Or, if you're using a travel agent, he/she can probably do it for you.
Jul 11th, 2003, 02:10 PM

This is my old post with the websites:

Author: Faina
Date: 10/02/2002, 05:40 pm
Message: Lisa, if you can read and understand russian (cyrillics), this is the schedule web
http://www.railways.ru/

If not check these 2 web sites, never used them, found by simple Internet search, looks like these are travel agencies who can make the reservations for you.

http://www.waytorussia.net/Services/TrainTickets.html

http://www.russian-tours.spb.ru/tickets_rail.html

Jul 11th, 2003, 02:44 PM

For tickets and schedule have a look at:

http://www.poezda.net/train.htm
Jul 11th, 2003, 04:00 PM

We rode the Red Arrow overnight train and found it quite nice. The linens were pretty and we had flowers and bottle water waiting on us. There was an extra attachment to put on the lock to secure it from the inside.
Jul 11th, 2003, 08:37 PM

You might consider just taking a flight, one hour and none of the other things to consider. I thought about the train but in the end just wasn't comfortable with it.
Jul 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM

FYI, I tried using the recommened websites but with little luck: not user friendly at all. At most I got schedules, but I still don't know how much this will cost. Can anyone tell me?
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:19 PM

For more train information try:

http://www.waytorussia.net/Transport...etersburg.html

I have used them for booking tickets, with no problem.