Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Old May 22nd, 1997, 10:17 PM
Alice Lee

Overnight train from Prague to Budapest

Has anyone ever travelled on an overnight train from Prague to Budapest? I am concerned about safety -- is it safe for two women to travel on an overnight train. Is the train station in Prague okay and how should we travel to the station at night from our hotel?

Old May 26th, 1997, 02:59 PM
jim turner

I traveled by train Prague-Budapest during the daytime. It was an uncomfortable experience. The usual configuration in the cars are 6 seats, 3 facing forward and 3 back. These cars had 8 seats so you were practically sitting on top of the people next to you. Also, the trains traveled very slowly in comparison to other parts of Europe so it took a long time. There is about an hour stop a the border for passport checks as well. I would inquire about sleeper cars. As far as safety is concerned, I have no knowledge of trouble on this route but since it's at night, you would probably make an interesting target to the wrong type of people. Maybe you could find some friends in Prague to keep you company. There are at least 2 major railway stations in Prague. Make sure you know which one your train is leaving from. The safest mode at night would be taxi. If the streets aren't deserted you would probably be safe on the subway. Good luck. jimt

Old May 26th, 1997, 05:04 PM
sasha

i took an overnight train to budapest from prague--i definately recommend getting a sleeping car because the trip is about eight hours. safety is not a big concern--sometimes you'll be the only people in the car, but there is a max of six sleepers to a car--unless you get first-class. sleeping car require a reservation--try wasteels--on the upper level of the train station--they have the cheapest rates. to get to the station, hlavi nazdrazi, the metro takes you right there for cheap and is fairly safe. have fun--budapest is huge!! make sure you go to szecheny bath or the gellert while you're there. have a great time!!

Old May 27th, 1997, 03:31 PM
Cheryl Vincent

Christmas 1995, my husband and I were in Poland. We travelled from Wroclaw, Poland to Budapest via train - at night. We booked a sleeper. It was on a old train - not Eurorail. The trip was about 8 hours and we were comfortable and security was no problem. The door locked and we were not distrubed except at the borders then the conductor knocked and asked for our passports. We arrived at BUdapest at 5am and had to wait for the train station money exchangers to open before getting a taxi to a motel recommended by a friend. We enjoyed our trip. We travelled from BUdapest to Prague but it was via Eurorail. That was really nice. It was a beautiful train. We travelled during the day and was very comfortable. I went to Poland in 1993 and my female friend and I travelled between Prague and Wroclaw and Warsaw alone. I was not frightened at all except when the train was crowded and a group of gypsies were trying to get to another car. I got caught in the traffic jam and was a little frightened. Just keep your passport and money near your body and use common sense. I found it no worse than any of the big cities in the US. As a matter of fact I am more fearful travelling alone in our big cities. English was spoken fluently and frequently. My husband and I had no problem with money exchange, hotels, shopping, or directions. I love both BUdapest and Prague. We hope to return in the spring of 1998. Warsaw was a lovely place to see, but

Old May 27th, 1997, 03:35 PM
Cheryl Vincent

Christmas 1995, my husband and I were in Poland. We travelled from Wroclaw, Poland to Budapest via train - at night. We booked a sleeper. It was on a old train - not Eurorail. The trip was about 8 hours and we were comfortable and security was no problem. The door locked and we were not distrubed except at the borders then the conductor knocked and asked for our passports. It was small but we managed. Take something to eat and drink with you. We arrived at BUdapest at 5am and had to wait for the train station money exchangers to open before getting a taxi to a motel recommended by a friend. We enjoyed our trip. We travelled from BUdapest to Prague but it was via Eurorail. That was really nice. It was a beautiful train. We travelled during the day and was very comfortable. I went to Poland in 1993 and my female friend and I travelled between Prague and Wroclaw and Warsaw alone. I was not frightened at all except when the train was crowded and a group of gypsies were trying to get to another car. I got caught in the traffic jam and was a little frightened. Just keep your passport and money near your body and use common sense. I found it no worse than any of the big cities in the US. As a matter of fact I am more fearful travelling alone in our big cities. English was spoken fluently and frequently. My husband and I had no problem with money exchange, hotels, shopping, or directions. I love both BUdapest and Prague. We hope

Old May 27th, 1997, 03:40 PM
Cheryl Vincent

Christmas 1995, my husband and I were in Poland. We travelled from Wroclaw, Poland to Budapest via train - at night. We booked a sleeper. It was on a old train - not Eurorail. The trip was about 8 hours and we were comfortable and security was no problem. The door locked and we were not distrubed except at the borders then the conductor knocked and asked for our passports. It was small but we managed. Take something to eat and drink with you. We arrived at BUdapest at 5am and had to wait for the train station money exchangers to open before getting a taxi to a motel recommended by a friend. We enjoyed our trip. We travelled from BUdapest to Prague but it was via Eurorail. That was really nice. It was a beautiful train. We travelled during the day and was very comfortable. We did not have a sleeper. I went to Poland in 1993 and my female friend and I travelled between Prague and Wroclaw and Warsaw alone. I was not frightened at all except when the train was crowded and a group of gypsies were trying to get to another car. I got caught in the traffic jam and was a little frightened. Just keep your passport and money near your body and use common sense. I found it no worse than any of the big cities in the US. As a matter of fact I am more fearful travelling alone in our big cities. English was spoken fluently and frequently. My husband and I had no problem with money exchange, hotels, shopping, or directions. I love both BU

Old May 27th, 1997, 03:42 PM
Cheryl Vincent

Christmas 1995, my husband and I were in Poland. We travelled from Wroclaw, Poland to Budapest via train - at night. We booked a sleeper. It was on a old train - not Eurorail. The trip was about 8 hours and we were comfortable and security was no problem. The door locked and we were not distrubed except at the borders then the conductor knocked and asked for our passports. It was small but we managed. Take something to eat and drink with you. We arrived at BUdapest at 5am and had to wait for the train station money exchangers to open before getting a taxi to a motel recommended by a friend. We enjoyed our trip. We travelled from BUdapest to Prague but it was via Eurorail. That was really nice. It was a beautiful train. We travelled during the day and was very comfortable. We did not have a sleeper. I went to Poland in 1993 and my female friend and I travelled between Prague and Wroclaw and Warsaw alone. I was not frightened at all except when the train was crowded and a group of gypsies were trying to get to another car. I got caught in the traffic jam and was a little frightened. Just keep your passport and money near your body and use common sense. I found it no worse than any of the big cities in the US. As a matter of fact I am more fearful travelling alone in our big cities. English was spoken fluently and frequently. My husband and I had no problem with money exchange, hotels, shopping, or directions. I love both BU

Old Jul 11th, 1997, 06:42 AM
Angi Drew

Did that trip and back in July 1995. Couldn't get 1st class, so had 2nd class - six (mixed sex) people to a compartment, boiling hot esp on the top level. All were W.Europeans, including the Italian man who snored all night & kept us awake!! Coming back, there were just two of us, and we could lock the door, but did get disturbed several times for passport checks. Have heard tales of bands of gypsies boarding the trains to rob travellers, but saw no eveidence of this. The Gellert baths are fab, but Kafkaesque to find your way through the system.