Overnight train: 1st class "sleeper" vs. 2nd class T3

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm researching for a trip in September or October to budget for the overnight train from Florence or Rome TO Paris. Sites I'm using are: SNCF, Trenitalia and RailEurope.
I'm using May 11 for comparative purposes.

SNCF seems to be the only one that offers any special rates (Mini C)...really good savings.

For instance, when I request 2 tickets 2ND class 3-berth couchete, SNCF offers:

1) 2nd CL 3-berth couchette, 280eu
and
2) 1st CL "sleeper" (4 berths), 140eu!(MINI C)

NOTE: These offers seem to change from moment to moment. I'll be offered the Mini C and then 10 minutes later it's gone, only to return sometime later. So, if you're looking for train rates, keep checking.

Here's my question:
The advantage of the 3-berth is that it allows choice of gender (we're two ladies). So at least we would know our fellow traveller will be female. The 1st class "sleeper" doesn't offer such a distinction. We could end up with a couple or with 2 men. I'm not sure that would discourage us given the savings. We'll probably sleep in casual clothes anyway.

For those who've taken these trains, is there much difference between 1st and 2nd class? What do you think of these two options?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't help with your original question and hopefully others will. Since you are 2 in your party, are you sure you don't want to go for a private cabin, where only the two of you would share, and you could close and lock the door?

I'm not up on pricing or terms, as I did this trip Venice/Paris several years ago. But I know the private cabin was great fun, and I don't think I'd have been comfortable in a couchette situation sharing with strangers.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Without realizing it, you have been a big help making my train reservations. I NEVER realized that you can make reservations on SNCF for a trip originating in Italy. I always thought you had to use the website of the originating country.
The SNCF site is so much easier to use than the new Trenitalia site particularly when actually purchasing a ticket. Thanks, Mike
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Firstly, there is no such thing as a first or second class sleeper. Sleeping cars are sleeping cars; couchettes are seats which convert into basic bunks, so there are first and second class couchettes, but there is no sleeping car in Europe that is "first" or "second" class.
If you are being offered the choice between a three-berth compartment and a four-berth compartment, then the 3-berth will be a sleeper (with full bedding and a wash basin) while the 4-berth is a couchette. If you share a sleeper in Western Europe with a stranger, it will be somebody of the same sex, but couchettes are mixed-sex because you do not undress to go to bed (there is nowhere to hang clothes). Couchettes have four or six berths; sleepers generally have two or three berths. A three-berth sleeping compartment has three bunks one above the other, a wash basin and space to hang your clothes. A four-berth couchette has four bunks, two on each side, no wash basin, and no space for hanging clothes.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

GEOFF: As for 1st/2nd class, SNCF is definitely <i>promoting</i> the Mini C as &quot;<i>First Class</i> sleeper with 4 beds&quot;. Based on your description, it sounds like we'd prefer the 3-berth. Thanks for that very helpful post.

SUZE: I agree the 2-berth cabin would be ideal, but it's also 320eu.

MIKE,
I agree the SNCF site is faster, clearer, and offers more options. (The english version actually <i>works</i>!) Trenitalia takes me thru a process that DOES NOT include a spot to say # of passengers. Then it scolds me for not saying how many passengers. LOL! Also, as I understand it, you cannot pick up your SNCF ticket in Italy. Ask your hotel if you can have it delivered there.

If you're leaving from Rome there's another option you might want to check out. Easyjet has a flight leaving Naples around 3:30pm arriving Paris Orly around 5:30. You could take the train from Rome around 11am to make the flight. Watch for special fares. Of course, that adds a hotel night so you have to add that in as well in order to compare.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:51 AM

The trains from Italy to Paris used to have T2 two-berth sleepers and T3 three-berth sleepers (as well as couchettes). I think the T2s have now been withdrawn which is sad as they were comfortable. There are Excelsior sleepers which are two-berth compartments with bathrooms, but they are obviously a lot more expensive. The basic problem is that the railways' reservation systems are not well adapted to a variety of sleeping accommodation, so any descriptions can get confusing.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmmm... I'm speaking from past experiences (on 3 overnight train trips) and I always had a private cabin (&quot;wagon-lit&quot but there's no way I paid $400+USD for it, I'm certain of that.

For me I would choose to go by day train or air, rather than share a 4-6 person couchette.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

suze:

The 400eu price is on RailEurope. That's $520...yikes! SNCF is now offering:
T-3---301.60eu
T-4---281.60
Double: 309.20 (much better)

I've been watching the fares change over the last couple of days. It appears the prices change as the train fills up. Some prices have gone up, some down. I take it then we should begin checking frequently as tickets become available 60 days prior to our trip, then try to catch the lower rates.

One more question: SNCF was offering the Mini C price of 140eu for two spots in a 4-berth. Couldn't we buy two of those packages (all 4 seats) and have a T-4 to ourselves for 280eu? Would that make sense?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM

You are not allowed to purchase extra reservations in order to hold two more berths empty if that is what you are asking. If no one shows up to occupy the places, the sleeping car attendant may sell them to someone else.
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:26 AM

I agree with you that there is 1st and 2nd class sleepers.

IF you have time, you way want to take the trenhotel from italy via Barcelona to Paris.

I have taken the sleeper from Paris to Rome and we had a 2 person compartment.

On the trenhotel (spanish renfe) you can reserve a 4 berth compartment for 2 or 3 people: if you pay - it's yours!

HAve a great trip!
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:01 AM

You probably won't get any lower fares than those that are offered on the SNCF site <b> but </b> where are you planning to collect the tickets (I am assuming here that you are in the U.S. and apologize if this is incorrect).

Assume you are familiar with the information and pictures of train accommodations found at www.seat61.com
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:10 AM

This is all very confusing. To further muddy the waters, we traveled in November in a cabin WITH a sink, WITH three pull-down beds, called a T3 couchette. We purchased three beds for the two of us. Was about $800 altogether from Paris to Rome. Made reservations with RailEurope.

Flying would have been much cheaper but would have consumed a day. (Also would have added one hotel night) Overnight train made the most sense, timewise.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

We decided against the train.

I found a flight on MyAir.com, Venice to Paris for only 38 euros each. It leaves VCE at 5:30pm, arrives Orly at 7pm. This allowed us to add 2 nights in Venice, with almost a full day that last day. AND we'll be in Paris in time for a late dinner.

We're very happy with this option...just hope the airline is healthy and can hold out until October!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Reminding myself to come back and look at this thread...