Overnight stops between Sarlat and St-Remy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a house rented in Sarlat in May and a cottage in St-Remy in June. We decided to take two days/nights to drive from Sarlat and St-Remy. Looking for suggestions for the overnight stops. Should we stop in one place for two nights or do two one-night stops.

Right now we are considering stopping one night in Cordes-sur-Ciel or Albi and one night around Millau. OR stopping two nights in Cordes-sur-Ciel and driving to St-Remy from there? Will that be too long of a drive?

We are considering Aurifat B&B in Cordes-sur-Ciel and Grand Hotel de la Muse et du Rozier Gorges du Tarn in the Millau area. Any comments or suggestions?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I think the Cordes & Gorge du Tarn plan would be great. We've vacationed in that region for 6 weeks recently.

I actually prefer tthe Conques area over Cordes, however. Here is a 3 day drive from the Dordogne to Provence I did for someone. Perhaps you can get some ideas.

Next, spend 3 ˝ days/3 nights driving through the Languedoc on the way to Provence. About 1 month ahead, make reservations for a tour at Pech Merle. From the Dordogne region, head south towards Cahors and then follow the Lot river east. Depending on the time of your reservation, either stop & visit St Cirq Lapopie for a visit, or where the Cele river hits the Lot river take the Cele to Pech Merle for a visit & then tour St Cirq Lapopie after the tour. Continue east on the beautiful Cele River towards Figeac. Stop at Figeac, get an English walking guide at the Tourist Office, and explore this very interesting town.

Take the N140 east from Figeac, and head to Conques. This is a very famous pilgrimage village - rated 3 stars in the Michelin Guide. It will be crowded with tourists in July, but if you get there a little later in the day, perhaps many of the tourist will have already left.

After Conques, head north on the D901 and then the D107 east to pick up the Lot River again at Entraygues. This is a cute town worth exploring if you have the time. Continue east on the Lot to my favorite small village in this area - Estaing. Stay there for the night at the Auberge St Fleuret. Estaing is a wonderful medieval village with a large chateau at the edge of town. Lots of picture taking venues. The hotel is family owned, very reasonable priced, and has one of my favorite restaurants in the Lot River region.

Next day visit some of the cute villages along the Lot - Estaing, Espalion, St Come, Ste Eulalie, & St Geniez. Many of these villages are classified as "the Most Beautiful Villages of France". See my Languedoc itinerary for much more detail about this area. Contact me at [email protected] if you don't have it & want a copy.

After exploring the Lot River region, head out to the majestic Gorges du Tarn. From St Geniez, head south on the D95 to St Martin, then head east on the D45 to La Canourgue - my favorite "undiscovered" village. From St Canourgue, head south on the veru scenic D998/D43 to La Malene on the Gorges du Tarn. Spend the better part of the day exploring the Gorges. Stay in either the cute town of Ste Enimie in a simple hotel (the town is worth exploring), or stay in a chateau near la Malene for a splurge.

Here are two possible routes for heading into Provence:

Leave the Gorges du Tarn at the south end at La Rozier & head towards Millau. In Millau follow the map (see my itinerary) and pick up the D991 east that goes through the lovely Canyon de la Dourbie. If you like weird rock formations and want to hike a bit (not much), visit the Chaos de Montpellier le Vieux along the way. Then continue on the D991 through Nante, and after Nante pick up the D55 to La Couvertoireade. Visit this very interesting village. After visiting the village, continue south on the D55 and pick up the A75 south at Le Caylar. Continue on the A75 south then east. When the A75 hits the N109, take the N109 east to Gignac. From Gignac, head north on the D32 towards Anaine, then the D27 northwest to St Guilhem le Desert & Grotte de Clamouse. Visit both these place – St Guilhem is a gem, and Clamouse is a fantastic cave with stalactites & mites. From St Guilhem, retrace your route back to Gignac and use your #339 map to get you to Pezanas. Stay overnight in/near Pezenas. I don’t have any hotel or restaurant recommendations in this area – perhaps ask Peter for recs. Next day explore Pezenas. If you are there on a Saturday, there is a fantastic market in town – one of the best in the region. Pezenas is a very cute town – sort of a cross between St Remy & l’Isle sur la Sorgue (lots of antique shops at the edge of town). Pick up the freeway towards Montpellier, then Nimes, and into Provence.

Another route out of the Gorges du Tarn to Provence would be to head east from Ste Enemie & exit the Gorges at Florac. From Florac, head southeast on the DD907/D983 and drive along the very scenic Corniche de Cevennes (D9) to St Jean du Gard. From St Jean, head towards Anduze & visit this cute village. From Anduze, consult your 339 map & work your way to Uzes (not much that exciting in between). Stay overnight in Uzes & explore this town along with some of it’s neighbors. St Quentin la Poterie is a pottery town – my wife purchased some beautiful plates there. My favorite restaurant in this area is L’Oliver in Serviers - just northwest of Uzes. If you look at your map, you will no doubt see that the Pont du Gard is very close by and is a “must see” for the Provence region. Castillion du Gard is another cute town to visit.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM

You alsomight consider staying in or near Rodez or Villneuve-sur-Rouergue and then the second night near St-Enimie or Florac.

A friend of a friend owns a fabulous B&B in St. Privas de Vallongue, not far from Florac. His dinners are divine:

http://www.cevennes.com/labaume/
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM
ira

Hi B,

For Conques, I can highly recommend the Moulin de Cambelong
http://www.moulindecambelong.com/uk/

We stayed in the ROMARIN room

(Colors of the room : blue and yellow
Double bed of lime pit foot with terrace, shower)

About 200E with bkfst and dinner and worth every penny.

In the Gorges du Tarn we stayed in St. Chely-du-Tarn the Auberge de la Cascade.

We made reservations through http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk

Also highly recommended,

See my trip report for details:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-pla2au

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We loved Conques and staying at the Perché village of St Cirq lapopie. Crossing the Bridge of Millau was
a special diversion.
Stu, thanks for the mention of Etaing. I'll check it out for maybe an overnight.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Stu, I can't find Etaing on my atlas.
Nor could I google it?
Another choice you made was St Guilhem.
I snapped one of my favorite photos there.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Estaing
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks Tuck, another senior moment
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM

http://www.aveyron.com/english/touri...g-village.html

OOO! Stu, it does look lovely!!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I am at work right now, so I am not able to review your suggestions right away - tonight and tomorrow.

Work - a necessary evil to pay for all these trips.

But I am thankful.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:49 PM

I would skip Albi. Not a lot of excitement there.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Disagree completely about Albi - one of my favorite towns in that area. Aside from the extraordinary cathedral, there's the Toulouse Lautrec museum, a lovely old-quarter pedestrian area, Toulouse Lautrec's home, lots of nice antique shops, and some very good restaurants.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM

When we did this, we did it spent a night each in (Sarlat), St. Cirq laPopie, Albi, Carcassonne, St. Paul de Fenouillet (latter involved a slight detour to take in the Peyrepetuse castle ruin, and which took us along a very picturesque road that offers a dramatic if fairly brief run through a gorge and a fabulous view of the Pyrenees.) It's about 90 minutes to 2 hours between the above stops, and maybe 3 hours (part of it on the autoroute) from St. Paul de Fenouillet to St. Remy.

Okay that's four nights, and you have but two. Ouch! If pressed, I suppose you could do St. Cirq la Popie en route to Albi, do a little of Albi before heading to Carcassone, and then drop St. Paul de Fenouillet, heading straight from Carcassonne to St. Remy. That would be 2 nights and three days, and a very full three days it will be.

The problem is not the driving - it's the number of things to do along the way. I really wouldn't rush it - this drive was a standout for us and one I'd love to do again.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM

I think Albi is worth the stop.