Overnight stays on southwestern Ireland coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland in early May. We are flying into Dublin where we will spend two nights, then rent a car and drive South. We are thinking one night in Cobh or Kinsale, two nights in Kenmare, two nights in Dingle, and one night in Doolin, before flying out of Shannon. We don't yet have an itinerary of must-see sites, just mainly want to experience the beautiful coastal scenery and small towns along the drive. Do the towns where we plan to stay overnight make sense or should we choose others? And what about the number of days in each? Any insight provided will be much appreciated.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 09:53 PM

hoping for suggestions

We, too, are thinking of Ireland in Mid May for about 10-12 days. Planning to fly into Shannon and thinking of staying in Kenmare, Dingle, and Doolin. Looking for beautiful scenery, hiking and walking, seeing the "must-sees" and enjoying good dinners/music. Was recommended to add Aran Islands, but wonder if that's a pain to go to? We will be renting a car.
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Sancraig
My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland in early May. We are flying into Dublin where we will spend two nights, then rent a car and drive South. We are thinking one night in Cobh or Kinsale, two nights in Kenmare, two nights in Dingle, and one night in Doolin, before flying out of Shannon. We don't yet have an itinerary of must-see sites, just mainly want to experience the beautiful coastal scenery and small towns along the drive. Do the towns where we plan to stay overnight make sense or should we choose others? And what about the number of days in each? Any insight provided will be much appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 07:48 AM

Sounds like you have 8 nights. With only 8 nights I wonder if you should arrive / depart from SNN and skip Dublin all together? Just a thought. I mention this as you say you are interested in coastal scenery and small towns. We've been to Ireland about a dozen times. We have visited Kinsale. We enjoyed it very much. It is considered the yachting capital of Ireland and some say very similar to Newport, RI. As we had a sailboat in Rhode Island, we liked our visit. However, if this is your first trip and only 8 nights, I would recommend you skip Kinsale.

Night List - Your posted tentative plan
#1 Arrive Dublin
#2 Dublin
#3 pick up car; drive to Kinsale or Cobh
# 4 Kenmare
#5 Kenmare
#6 Dingle
#7 Dingle
# 8 Doolin

Remember, it takes extra time to check-in / check-out. Sounds like you have 5 different accommodations (if I'm reading this right). If you skip Dublin, you might be able to fit in Connemara (including Sky Road in Clifden, Kylemore Abbey and Connemara National Park).

In Dingle, I can recommend Castlewood House. Lovely!
Award Winning Accommodation Dingle (castlewooddingle.com)

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 05:31 AM

Help with Ireland trip end of May

My husband and I are looking at May 22-31, flying in and out of Shannon. Thinking the first two nights in Kenmare. Wondering if it makes sense to do 3 or 4 nights in either Dingle or Doolin, so we don't have to pack up too many times. Those seem like good hubs and fun places. We like to be outdoors, walking or hiking, seeing beautiful scenery and will have a car to make day trips. Also love good food! Would love any suggestions for itinerary, lodging and restaurants.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply and suggestions Bette. This is very helpful.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by debwhite
My husband and I are looking at May 22-31, flying in and out of Shannon. Thinking the first two nights in Kenmare. Wondering if it makes sense to do 3 or 4 nights in either Dingle or Doolin, so we don't have to pack up too many times. Those seem like good hubs and fun places. We like to be outdoors, walking or hiking, seeing beautiful scenery and will have a car to make day trips. Also love good food! Would love any suggestions for itinerary, lodging and restaurants.
I hope you are not planning on driving to Kenmare after a transatlantic flight. You will be tired and jetlagged and driving on the wrong side of the road. You will be a danger to yourselves and other road users. You may think you are well rested but you aren't.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 12:40 PM

In response to debwhite (not the OP): Yes, that is about 101.4 miles (Shannon to Kenmare). When we land in SNN and are heading in the direction of Kenmare / Killarney / Dingle, we always stay in Adare for the first night.

I would not consider Dingle or Doolin to be "hubs" for visiting other places. Doolin is awesome for traditional music and the Cliffs of Moher but I would consider it a hub for visiting other places. Dingle is an absolutely gorgeous spot for visiting the Dingle Peninsula. It takes over an hour to get to Dingle town from Killarney. Kenmare is slightly over 66 miles from Dingle town. So, if you wanted to do the Ring of Kerry from Dingle to would need to add over 1.5 hours to an already full day trip. Kenmare or Killarney are better hubs. They are both on the Ring of Kerry. Kenmare is smaller and quieter. Killarney is closer to Muckross House, Killarney National Park and the Gap of Dunloe. Some folks complain it is too touristy, but the beauty is all the attractions are right there. If you are visiting in May you are missing the busy summer months. If you are into walking, do not miss the Gap of Dunloe walk & boat trip. It is a full day.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 04:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dingle Peninsula and Kenmare were 2 of our favorite places in Ireland.
Greenmount House in Dingle was wonderful.
https://www.greenmounthouse.ie

Shelbourne Lodge in Kenmare another favorite (we voted it best breakfast of all)
https://www.shelburnelodge.com/

After 3 trips to Ireland we long to return. Didn’t care that much for Dublin though.
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 05:07 AM

<< Doolin is awesome for traditional music and the Cliffs of Moher but I would consider it a hub for visiting other places.>>
That should be: Doolin is awesome for traditional music and the Cliffs of Moher, but I would NOT consider it a hub for visiting other places.