Overnight sleeper to edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys I need some help. How does one go about reserving a sleeper on the overnight from london to edinburgh? How far in advance do I need to book? And what hotels do you recomend in Edinburgh? we have 4 days to spend in scotland. Would it be possible to take the overnight train back to London to catch an 11:00am flight or do I come back late fri to catch sat plane?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Here's a good place to start researching the Caledonian Sleeper. It has links to the site where you purchase tickets.

http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSlee...0buy%20tickets

I would fly back to London. If the overnite train from Edinburgh to London is delayed (ours was) - you will miss your plane.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The sleeper will only barely get you back to London early enough. Most transatlantic lines want you there 3 hours ahead, and the sleeper doesn't get to Euston until 7:00. Euston to LHR or LGW will normally take an hour or more. If there was any delay you'd be up a creek.

I'd probably fly down to London the night before - you would not lose any useful time in Edinburgh if you flew out at 8 or 9 at night. Then you could have a restful sleep at an airport hotel.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:36 AM

I agree with Janis. I once got the sleeper before a flight out of London, the train was delayed and we had a mad panic to catch the flight. Actually I'm not that keen on the sleeper anyway - not that comfy & there are no showers.

Alternatively, assuming your flight is out of Heathrow, get one of the 6.30am-ish flights from Edinburgh to Heathrow (BA or bmi) - that's what I'd do. Although I would have booked both flights together.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM

Sleeper trains
Online advance bookings for overnight seated and berth accommodation on Caledonian Sleeper services are now available online for services up to and ...
http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...eper/index.php

About The Sleeper
All Caledonian Sleeper services convey a Lounge Car where you can relax in a pleasant atmosphere. Enjoy a light snack, hot or cold drink or unwind with ...
http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...he-sleeper.php

British trains are endemically late - fly back like janis and caroline say

And book as early as possible for really cheap fares

If you wait until London you could pay hundreds of dollars more esp for walk up fares

I've taken these trains and as sleepers go in europe these are top notch
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:16 AM

"I've taken these trains and as sleepers go in europe these are top notch"

Blimey, PalQ, is that what you meant to say ?? I've only taken these sleepers & always assumed those on the Continent would be better !
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Yes - i had a neat single bed with proper sheets, private compartment bigger than singles than on Continental trains and i was served breakfast in my room in the morning.

I did have a first class BritRail pass however so it was a first class single - cost 40 pounds a few years ago and then that was about $60 - a similar single on the Continent with a pass would be about twice as much and smaller and not as nice IME
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM

To PalenQ. When you used your rail pass how did you make reservations for the sleeper? I go to Great Britain yearly using a 1st class rail pass and would like to make a reservation on the sleeper. I have looked up the web site and really didn't find an answer. Thank you very much
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I just made it at Euston station the day i arrived from Paris via Eurostar - went to Kings X but seems it can only be made in person at Euston where i think this train departs

So i can't answer your question though i know BETS does these reservations as well as may britrail.com - whether it would cost more here or not i don't know

the problem with those trains now is that more and more online discounts are filling up berths that previously may have ran empty so perhaps it would be problematic just showing up?

sorry can't help much. but there are more than one train to chose from the Glasgow one and the Edinburgh route - i went to Inverness that time.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM

<<< but seems it can only be made in person at Euston where i think this train departs >>>

You can phone or book online

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...eper/index.php
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Believe me, I tried the web site and not one world about making a reservation. If you go to the "buy ticket" section you (me)cannot find a price or way to make a reservation using a pass. So, a few months in advance I will call them and see if I can get it sorted out.
Thanks a lot.
Roger
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM

alan i was talking about with a pass

i do not know if you have to go to the ticket window with a pass - if you say it can be done by phone or online i'll say yes

but it's not clear if you are talking about with a BritRail pass or not.

In most countries pass reservations cannot be made online or at automatic ticket windows but in person at stations

in most countries at any station in that country but in U.K. only at the departure station they told me when i went to Kings Cross where i believe most FirstScots (?) trains come in except the Caledonian Sleeper.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:40 PM

Ah right, PalQ, I've only been in 2nd class. Had you been in 2nd class you would have had to share with a stranger. What do you get for breakfast in 1st class ? In 2nd it's just a tea/coffee & a croissant. Still no showers for 1st class, though, although I know there are theoretically ones you can use at the stations.

Even if I could run to a 1st class sleeper, though, I'd still prefer to fly down in the morning instead.