Overnight in Tivoli

Search

Overnight in Tivoli

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight in Tivoli

Hoping for some recommendations for a planned visit to Villa Adriana and Villa d'Este in March.

We'll be going by public transport, so we want to spend a night someplace very convenient to at least one of the sites. Also we'd like to drop our (tiny) bags at the hotel before going anywhere.

Can someone please recommend a modest (around 80 euros) hotel in walking distance of one of the villas, with a restaurant nearby? Any other advice would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Your budget is more than sufficient for Tivoli at that time of year. In fact, most hotels there will be well under €80. I would look on www.booking.com and choose a hotel based on distance to the Villa Adriana or to the center of Tivoli.

The Villa D'Este is just off Piazza Garibaldi, where the bus from Rome and most city buses stop. There are buses that leave from the Piazza Garibaldi taking you directly to Villa Adriana.

Villa Adriana is not only the name of the villa, but also the name of the village (part of the town of Tivoli) where the villa is located. You can search for hotels near the Villa Adriana by using "Villa Adriana" as your destination.

You would have a better selection of restaurants in Tivoli.

My husband and I stayed in a very nice small inn, with a restaurant on the premises, just outside the gate to the Villa Adriana almost 20 years ago. I think it must be out of business or have changed its name, because neither of the two places with "Villa Adriana" in their name seems to be the one where we stayed.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, bvlenci. If I find a place that answers your decription, I'll report back; it sounds perfect.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 03:24 PM

Twenty years is a long time!
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Indeed. The closest place to Villa Adriana has some weird reviews, so I'm moving the search to Tivoli.

Sounds like the way to go is bus from Rome to Piazza Garibaldi, visit the Villa d'Este, stay nearby, go to Hadrian's Villa the next day, return for our bags, and bus back to Rome. Thanks again!
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 01:51 PM

That sounds best to me, and, as I said, your selection of restaurants will be better in Tivoli.
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much-- we're really looking forward to a relaxed visit to the sites.