Search

OV-Chipkaart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OV-Chipkaart

What is the status of the OV-Chipkaart roll-out and is it worth purchasing for a two week stay in the Netherlands?

Thank you.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM

It is not yet in use throughout the Netherlands, so it isnīt worth buying one Iīm afraid. It is having lots of teething troubles so I'm not sure when it will be fully functional.
If you are planning on using trains a lot during your two weeks you could consider buying a "voordeelurenabonnement". It will cost you 55 Euros and gives you 40% reduction on all tickets after 9 am. It is good for you and up to 3 other people travelling with you. You will still each need to buy a ticket for your journey but at a reduced rate. You can buy the Abonnement at the station. You will need a passport photo for it.
In the months of July and August they also offer a zomertoer pass.
For Buses and trams you will have to buy strippenkaarten still.

You may however find hiring a car for at least part of your stay is a better option for really exploring the Netherlands, many of the nicest parts are not well served by public transport.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I work at the leading supplier of mass transit fare collection equipment in the US and know full well what it's like to introduce new technology.

I'd be curious to know what you would rank as the 2 to 3 best trips requiring a car. I understand there is a rental agency near our B&B (Nieuwe Kerkstraat 153 just west of the zoo) and I would be more than willing to rent one for a day or two. Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:40 AM

Only if you would drive all the way like south-west to "Zeeland", or maybe National Park Hooge Veluwe a car might be nice.
Apart from that in general you can reach any place by public transport.
Trains and buses run frequently.

Traffic can be a problem, parking often is , gas is very expensive etc.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm just back from Vleland (with arm in a sling too )
I would suggest a car for Overijssel - you could visit Urk - a former island and busy fishing village, Schokland, a Unesco world heritage site, again a former island, now surrounded by fields. the Weerribben national park,
Blokzijl is a lovely old village and Giethoorn is pretty unique. If you have time then Staphorst maybe, though not on a Sunday.
Or drive over the Afsluitdijk, and visit Friesland (you could make a long day of it an combine with the above). Harlingen is a busy and interesting old port, Franeker has a unique wooden planetarium, Hindeloopen is worth a visit. The Friesian lakes are lovely.

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry about your arm. What happened?
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Fell off my bike! I rented a bike on Vlieland, as cars aren't allowed, but ended up with one that was too big. I braked, put my foot down - but it was further to the ground than I'm used to, an i fell. Dislocated elbow!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Ouch! And it doesn't provide much encouragement to someone like me who hasn't been on a bike in over 40 years.

I hope your recover goes well.