Outside seating on river cruises

Apr 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Outside seating on river cruises

Just wondering if there is any outside seating on any of the following river cruises: Batobus, Bateaux Parisians, Vedettes du Pont Neuf, Vedettes de Paris and Bateaux Mouches? I konw that the Batobus is without commentary and used more for going from one sight to another but are there any advantages to one cruise over another without regard to food? Thanks. Will only be in Paris for 36 hours and want this trip in May to be perfect.
Apr 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM

The Vedettes du Pont Neuf and the Bateaux Mouches have outside seating. You can buy discounted tickets online for the Vedettes du Pont Neuf or print out a discount coupon to use to purchase them there.
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
ira

Hi 4,

The batobuses have a big dome over the seating area that slide open in nice weather.

There is an afterdeck.

Apr 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM

I thought all those boats had some seats outside and some inside. I know Bateaux Parisiens does as I took one on them last year and was outside, and I know Bateaux Mouches does as I took them before, also.

It's just an hour boatride to me, doesn't make any difference which boat. Some other people may care, I don't.
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM

You mention food. My readings on this is overpriced and not the greatest. Go for scenery, not culinary. You can, and peaple here have, bring along food (wine, sandwich).

I like Vedettes for their smaller boats, and location...walking distance to Left Bank's many restaurants. I can have dinner and be there for last cruise of evening.
Apr 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! Michel Paris: I meant to say that food was not part of the discussion as I agree with you. Definitley do not take a boat cruise for the food . We are hoping for nice weather and plan to use the batobus as a water taxi and then at night perhaps use a different boat service (leaning towards Vedettes du Pont Neuf)for the magical night crise. Any suggestions in timing it so that we can enjoy the twinkling light of the Eiffel Tower?
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM

The upper deck is currently closed on the Bateaux Mouches due to high water on the Seine.

However there is still outside space on the lower level.
Apr 30th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac: Thanks for the heads up. Will this affect the other boat companies?
Apr 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I can't remember which departure I took last time but probably the one on the half hour (i.e., 9:30 or 10:30) should let you see the sparkling Eiffel Tower. If you go to the Vedettes site and look at the circuit you'll see that the Eiffel Tower marks approx the half way point in the cruise since the boat turns around there.
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM

If you take the Vedettes then print the 2Euro per person discount coupon from their web site and take it with you. Click on internet ticket (on the left) and you'll see the coupon.
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Adrienne, this is grewat advice on both counts.
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM

I sat outside on Vedettes du Pont Neuf two weeks ago and had no problem going under bridges.
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM

The Bateaux Mouches are by far the biggest boats. They are the first to stop navigating if the river rises too high. However, this will seriously affect the other boats if it happens because the Chinese tourists use the Bateaux Mouches, since they can carry more than a thousand people.

Two weeks ago, I took one of the Bateaux Mouches during my brother's visit to Paris, and even though it is not yet high season, I'd say there were about 350 Chinese tourists on the boat with as many waiting for the next one when we docked again. If they have to use those other boats, the boats will fill up really really fast!

Of course, if the Seine reaches flood stage, as it often does in the spring, all navigation will stop.
Jun 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM

If tickets are prepurchased for the vedettes de Pont neuf, can they be used at anytime or are they only for a certain predetermined time? I would love to save money and but don't want to lock into a time.

Thanks
Jun 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM

passionfruit: Most hotels, plus the tourist offices give out discount coupons for the Vedettes . . . . .
Jun 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM

The prepurchase tickets on Vedettes du Pont Neuf can be used any time. With the discount on the internet it is the best buy. There is both inside and outside seating. If you prepurchase over the internet and print out your confirmation be sure to follow the directions and print everything. You will need your passport to confirm your identity when boarding if you have the pre-purhase print out. There is a separate ticket window to pick up pre-purchased tickets that will save some waiting on line.