Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our Paris 3 day Itinerary -- Feedback Please!

May 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

We've finalized our hotel at Pavillion de la Reine, they had a great internet rate, breakfast included. We're in a duplex.

So we land Saturday, June 14th at 8:20 am, will go to hotel, drop of bags. Thinking we'll go grab Falafel at the fun place in Marais and head to Marche Aux Puces.

Return to hotel for nap and shower, have a 8 pm reservation at Senderens. Should we go somewhere special for drink first?

Sunday, breakfast at Pavillion. 10 am Bike About Tour, ending at 1:30 pm. Lunch at some bistro?

Afternoon, think Musee D'Orsay since it's closed Monday?

6:30 pm (not sure why so early?) Husband birthday dinner at L'Atelier Joel Rubouchon. Bateau Mouche cruise after?

Monday-- breakfast hotel, walk to Louvre, go to Notre Dame, Go to St. Germain de Pres for lunch, hit Jardin du Luxembourg. Le Bon Marche, shopping? Should we go up to Eiffel Tour or waste of time?
Should I try to book a lunch or dinner at Jules Verne?

Monday night we have 8:30 pm reservation at Alcazar but this can be changed...

Tuesday, breakfast at Pavillion, quick walk on Seine? Husband leaves for CDG at 11 am. I move to Right bank for business meeting.

What think? MERCI BIEN POUR VOS CONSEILS!!!
May 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM

You don't say where you are coming from, but if it is a transatlantic flight I can't imagine doing the Marché aux Puces the first day.

Though I enjoyed the experience when we went, we were well rested and STILL it was exhausting. I had no idea how BIG the St. Ouen Market is and can't begin to imagine doing it if sleep deprived.
May 6th, 2008, 01:42 AM

The Marais is not much fun on Saturdays; it's very very quiet. Not a lot of restaurants open. Sunday afternoon would be a good time for the Marais.
May 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM

You really don't get it. You are staying in one of the most beautiful, and historic, parts of Paris, and all your plans are to visit other areas. If you had a month, you couldn't see all the great stuff that is walking distance from the PDLR. Calm down....and rethink. Why Senderens when one of the greatest restaurants ever is just down the street? Lordy.
May 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Agree with oakglen. And no way I'd rush off to the Marché aux Puces on Day 1. Actually, with the current exchange rate I wouldn't even bother. It sure isn't my idea of a good introduction to Paris.

Saturday is the Sabbath in the Marais, still pretty much the Jewish quarter of Paris. As noted, it will be quiet.

If you do go to the Tour Eiffel, do it early in the morning or you may waste a good part of your day standing in line.
May 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Oakglen,

What is one of the best restaurants down the street from PDLR? So maybe I'll skip Le Marche, good point on Euro too.

Would love other advice/suggestions. We're traveling from Washington, DC.

BTW is it a good idea to buy EUROS now before dollar decreases further?

Thank you!
May 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Currency speculation is exactly that: speculation. Moreover, you're likely to find that the cost of the transaction in the U.S. could well wipe out any potential savings and then some. Use ATMs in Paris (they're everywhere.) I always retain some Euros as "seed money" for my next trip -- 80 to 100 max for cab fare or whatever.
May 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Flyboy,

I should just use my B of A debit card? what about travelers checks? do people still use them?

Thanks, Elizabeth
May 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM

If you want to save time, you could do a dinner cruise on the Bateaux Mouches, which is what we did for my mother's birthday. We had a great time and what we felt was a great dinner on the Bateaux Mouches. Although admittedly, it won't be anywhere near as fancy a dinner as at the L'Atelier Joel Rubouchon.

At this point, I've forgotten how much our dinner cruise cost, but it came with a relatively good champagne and wine.

And I think I even talked myself out of the dinner cruise at this point.
May 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM

I would climb the tower of Notre Dame rather than going up in the Eiffel Tower. The views ND are good and you can see the gargoyles and bell.
I agree with others that Marché Aux Pouces might be hard to take with jet lag. Although I wouldn't try a museum on the first day in Paris, I would probably explore the Marais a little then head to ND and Île de la Cité. Maybe go to Ile St. Louis for Berthillon ice cream and watch the street performers.

I agree somewhere close to your hotel would make more sense for the first night than Senderens. Unfortunately I don't go to restaurants in the price range you are considering so can't suggest a good substitute. If you don't get a response on this thread and want to have recommendations in the Marais I am sure you would get ideas if you start a new thread with this specific question.

You will certainly see exterior of the Eiffel Tower on the bike tour, from the bateau mouche, etc. I think there is a stop for a bakery lunch on your bike tour day

I don't see Ste Chapelle on your list of places to visit. (I realize it is listed as a stop on the bike tour but cannot imagine how you could really see it as part of a 3 1/2 hour tour with all the other sites listed) I think it is one of the most incredible places in Paris. If these pictures don't really impress you, however, you probably aren't as big a fan of Gothic architecture and stained glass as I am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte_Chapelle

I hope you and your husband have a great trip. It is nice he can join you for the weekend so you can celebrate his birthday in Paris
May 7th, 2008, 03:43 AM

If you have BofA do your ATM transactions at their partner bank and incur no fees. I can't remember which one it is. NEVER travellers checks.
The Flea Market is greatly overrrated unless you are looking for a very specific thing, and much too large for a 3 day trip visit.
Planning an 8 PM dinner on the arrival day at a special restaurant is pure folly. You would do better to just keep going on your arrival day--visiting "easy" sights like Notre Dame, walking around, etc. and then have an early dinner and go to bed.
May 7th, 2008, 05:20 AM

An FYI on the Eiffel Tower...I was just on my 5th trip to Paris but had to climb it again with my sister, whose first visit this was.

We got there at 10:00 a.m. and it was exactly 3 hours from standing in line, to getting to the top, staying up there maybe 10 minutes then quickly escaping the tightly packed crowds and taking the stairs down (otherwise it would have been longer waiting for the elevator from the second level down).

Was it worth it? Well, it was a gorgeous day to do it, but I think about what we could have done with those three hours instead. It's totally a personal choice but realize it is a HUGE investment of time, for what it is.
May 7th, 2008, 07:14 AM

L'Ambroisie, a three star, is just a few steps away. Dinner reservations are impossible, but you might be able to get in for lunch. La Guirlande de Julie is even closer; they have a prix-fixe at 27E. L'Auberge de Jarente is a decent restaurant with prix-fixe menus that start at 12E. You walk by it on the way to the St.Paul metro. Then of course there is Bofinger, one of the better brasseries in the Flo family; you can reserve on-line. Good place for photo ops too.
May 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM

Lulubelle,

My daughter and I stayed in the Marais during our trip to Paris in March. I spent 3 hours one day exploring Place des Voges (where your hotel is located) alone. The biggest challenge of my trip was dragging myself away from the neighborhood...I just loved it! You might want to check out ParisWalks by Alison, Sonia and Rebecca Landes (not the one by Frommers.) It is the ultimate stroller's book. Not to say you shouldn't check out other areas, just don't feel like to need to plan out every minute, and leave yourself the flexibilty to change your mind about things.

I didn't find the Marais dead at all on Saturdays, although the Rue des Rosiers, where the falafal shops are, is very quiet due to the Sabbath. The rest of the Marais was rocking right along, though!
May 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM

6'30pm at l'Atelier : it's early because it's the only way to have a reservation...
11'30 am or 6'30 pm. After that, there is no possibilty to have a reservation and it's first arrived first seated...But people find the adress so good that some are waiting for 3/4 h-1 hour...
Its other adress , la table de Robuchon , avenue Bugeaud in the 16e accept reservation.
More than the Jules Verne, try
Les Ombres, it's the restaurant of the new museum : musee des arts premiers,on the quai Branly : nice view on Eiffel Tower, la Seine, Trocadero and musee des arts modernes.
Nice menu, nice service.
Erik.
May 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We're bagging the flea market and perhaps we should go to Benoit or Alcazar in the 6th earlier that Saturday evening?

Has anyone been to Senderens? Two different people have told me it's a must do -- looks fun on the website but maybe L'Atelier and Alcazr or the Quai Branley restaurant enough of fancy?

Think also, Tour Eiffel not happening. Have been there a few times before but don't think husband has...next time!

May 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Senderens is nice in menu-good fish.
Prices are not so high.
My only reserve is on teh decor : it was a "art nouveau" dining room with a lot of caracter.
Mr Senderens, 2 years ago, in order to have less pression/guide's notation had decided to "downstage" his restaurant : it means less "highpriced" ingredients like caviar,truffle,...and the result is nice.
Why have he to change the decor and hide some of the decor behind "modern" new tables,white laqued wood panel(and so it's difficult to see the magnificent art nouveau pannel)...I don't know.
So, nice meals, but decor to be reviewed or more return to origin...
Erik.