Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our hotel in Munich is the Holiday inn city center at Effnerstrasse 99. Is a taxi the best way to get to it?

Search

Our hotel in Munich is the Holiday inn city center at Effnerstrasse 99. Is a taxi the best way to get to it?

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are doing Oktoberfest from Sept 24 to the 26 in this hotel (Bavarian suite 287 Euro per night) I asked the hotel if they had a car or a shuttle from the airport and they said no take a taxi at about 65 Euro. Do you think thats the best way to get to the hotel or can we take the public transportation system? Also, has anyone here stayed at this hotel and especially in the suite we have already paid for? Thank you.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM

The S-bahn will take you to central Munich for a low price. Depending on how many are traveling, the Lufthansa bus goes from the airport to the main train station with one stop at Nordfriedhof in then northernmost part of Schwabing, a district in Munich.

A taxi is more convenient. One is right there waiting for you and take you right to the door.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Hi Idaho,

Not exactly a Munich expert but the Munich Holiday Inn City Center is on
Hochstr. 3. The hotel has direct access to the U Bahn at Rosenheimer Platz. I like the hotel because of that luxury. There are several Holiday Inn's in the Munich area - I would suggest a bit of a check on location.

Everything about taking the bus into town and the SBahn is absolutely true from Bob.

I find that after a long day of travel the cab for 50-60 euros is well worth the cost. Handling luggage on any transit system can be a bit tricky.

Hope this helps. At least I've topped this for you. There are many real Munich gurus on this site. Mildred
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Mildred and bob_brown we're going with the taxi idea. We may save a few Euros by using piblic transportation but at this point we have spent so many what's a few more as we do our, we're going to Europe dance, Again!
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM

That's the sprit! If you're willing to pay 287€ for a room per night and 8€ for a beer and still aren't broke after two days, who cares
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

You're right logos999 but our room in Paris for 7 nights is 344 Euros per night (Jr. Suite) so I think we got a deal in Munich at Oktoberfest time.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I'll be in Paris next month, 4 nights, 37€ per night. Not a suite, but good ratings anyway. Want to swap rooms
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

37 Euro per night? what a great deal! Yea but does it include breakfast like ours does? What distract are you staying in?
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Howdy Jane!

I'd suggest you double check which Holiday Inn you'll be staying at.
There is one HI on Effnerstrasse (Effner St.) and another on Hoch St. which in named HI CITY CENTER.

As someone who uses Munich Airport constantly, I'd definetely take the train (S-Bahn), as the freeways to downtown Munich are often packed - unless you arrive in between rush hours (10am-4pm).

If you stay at the Holiday Inn City Center on Hoch St., take a line 8 train for AP to Rosenheimer Platz and you are almost there (200 yards walk max.)
If you stay at the HI at Effner St., take also a line 8 train, but get off at Munich East Station (Ostbahnhof), and take a taxi from there.

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Our Hotel is the Holiday inn City Munich at 99 Effnerstrasse. Like I said before after spending soooooo many Euros in Paris why not just take a taxi even if it cost 100 Euros as long as we get to the hotel with no hassles. It cost us 227 Euros in Paris for a private sadan from CDG to the Mayfair hotel and from the Mayfair hotel to Orly! Whats another 65 to 100 at this point? But thanks for you advice.