Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our AMS itinerary: a few missing gaps...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2023, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -- we're taking our 7 and 10yo boys to AMS for the first time in April, and though my husband and I have been a few times over the years (and I studied there during university), we've not been with kids. They're good travelers, but they're also kids so we make a point not to overdo it. I'd be grateful for any thoughts or comments on what we might be missing or overlooking here. (We're comfortable with the pacing of this trip and know our way around the city, so no thoughts needed there, thanks! We also know the trip is far too short. Wish it could be longer!)

Our big gap is Saturday afternoon. I don't think I can subject them to another art museum, much to my chagrin. We planned this trip last-min so have missed the boat on Anne Frank Huis (which is okay; we'll be back when they can both understand it a bit more). They'll commit mutiny if I suggest shopping (though I may have to sneak away and do that on my own...). Wondering if anyone's got a brilliant suggestion for me to fill that gap with something unexpected and enjoyable! (One idea: a cheese tasting??)

Thanks so much!

7 April
- check-in 14:00 to Jordaan Airbnb
- walk to Vondelpark (Brouwerij and run off some energy)
- concentrated Rijksmuseum (thinking of sticking primarily to the cheeky Jan Steens)
- 19:00 canal tour, depart near Rijksmuseum
- stroopwafel! (recommendation?)

8 April
- pray for good weather and embark on 9:30 departure to Keukenhof (5.5hr tour)
- ?
- 18:15 reservation at MAX (rijstaffel)
- stroll home and stop at Jordino or Monte Pelmo for ice cream on way

9 April
- pannenkoeken breakfast/brunch at Carrousel
- 12:15 tickets to Van Gogh museum
- think we may need to find some frites here!
- meander to Dutch Resistance Museum (closes 17:00h)
- dinner at nearby Cafe Koosje (no clue what it's like these days, but this was always a favorite of mine when I studied there!)

10 April
- departure
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 12:56 PM

Do you think your kids would like a market? The Albert Cuyp market is free and can be quite interesting. That is probably the right place to get a stroopwafel too. It's open 9 - 5 on a Saturday. It also takes you to a different part of Amsterdam.

Lavandula
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 11:27 AM

Going to add a few suggestions to your schedule

7 April

- check-in 14:00 to Jordaan Airbnb
- walk to Vondelpark (Brouwerij and run off some energy)
- concentrated Rijksmuseum (thinking of sticking primarily to the cheeky Jan Steens)
- 19:00 canal tour, depart near Rijksmuseum
- stroopwafel! (recommendation?)

If you walk from Jordaan to Vondelpark, a good route walk there via Bilderdijkstraat ( I think it's the shortest route ) it means you have Foodhallen on your route too, about half way there.

The Dutch history/material culture section of the Rijksmuseum is much, much better for children than paintings. And they have great guided tours for families https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/whats-...ilies-children

Stroopwafel: lots of places in Jordaan. One firm recommendation for your kids: https://www.themousemansion.com/page...-sam-and-julia at Eerste Tuindwarsstraat 1HS, 1015 RT Amsterdam. Very much near you. I won't spoil too much, but it's adorable.

8 April
- pray for good weather and embark on 9:30 departure to Keukenhof (5.5hr tour)
- ?
- 18:15 reservation at MAX (rijstaffel)
- stroll home and stop at Jordino or Monte Pelmo for ice cream on way
Just making you aware of the fact that on saturday mornings there is a wonderful organic/crafts market at Noordermarkt.
Monte Pelmo is such a Jordaan thing. MAX sounds a bit too experimental for me, but the rijsttafel sounds fantastic. In Jordaan on Lindengracht is the incomparable Toscanini (sophisticated Italian) or the family style Capri (pizzas and gelato).

9 April
- pannenkoeken breakfast/brunch at Carrousel
- 12:15 tickets to Van Gogh museum
- think we may need to find some frites here!
- meander to Dutch Resistance Museum (closes 17:00h)
- dinner at nearby Cafe Koosje (no clue what it's like these days, but this was always a favorite of mine when I studied there!)

Carrousel, excellent choice! Just behind Carrousel is "Speeltuin UJ Klaren" a fantastic outdoor play space for kids. ( https://goo.gl/maps/5LnyppEaBn4jVpzy8 )
Very good fries at "Vegan Junk Food Bar" at Marie Heinekenplein, just behind the Heineken Brewery
Our son wouldn't have liked 3 museums on a trip: maybe exchange one for Nemo, on the other side of town. If you go there, I recommend lunch at Homeland, at the old Navy Yard just behind nemo (you can get there via a series of bridges)
Enjoy Cafe Koosje. Strong Plantage Middenlaan vibe

That was it. We used to live in Jordaan and we always found that public transport goes around it, so you need to walk a bit before you get to a viable tramstop.

If the weather is good on your Keukenhofday, you might consider backtracking back to Haarlem and then go to the beach. It's after April 1st, so the beach places are already open and it's daylight saving time so the evenings are quite long already.

Last edited by menachem; Mar 21st, 2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 12:39 PM

I'm in Amsterdam now. Just some thoughts; kirchenhof was fabulous, and they have lots of things for kids. There is a ships Museum here that is close to Centraal a great ship that is moored outside. Check the weather as it has been about 15° colder than I thought it was going to be, much breezier, and less Sunny. Just an FYI as well cash is not King here. Lots of places will only take a card but there's seem to be a lot of postings that say no card, just cash, and vice versa. I do want to mention about the Anne Frank house- every Tuesday Amsterdam time 10:00 a.m. they release tickets for the following week. I was lucky enough to participate in that procedure and they list the number of tickets available for that week and there were really a great number. So if you were rethinking going to the museum you might want to check out the Tuesday before the week you were going.
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 10:06 AM

I went by the Anne Frank house today. There are four passenger pedal boats that are available for rent right in front of the house. I thought your children might like to do that as well. In front of the reichs museum there is a company called stromma and they also had four pax paddle boats for rent.