Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast this June - still a few gaps to fill in schedule!

Old Apr 7th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a panic attack at how close this trip is with some unanswered logistics still - help much appreciated as my google/travel site research have left me paralyzed at this point:

Monday: Land Rome-FCO 1:40pm. Plan to take the train to Naples and stay 1 night to explore there - Any hotel recommendations close to the station since we'll have luggage? Or an alternate recommendation for us?

Tuesday: Ferry to Positano. Need to navigate to our AirBNB with luggage - is it easy enough to catch a taxi or should we hire a private driver in advance?

Weds - Saturday - Determine how to best day trip to Amalfi, Sorrento, Ravello and Pompeii as our preferred sites. Advice on how to split those up or combine appreciated as this is where I'm most at a loss.
After much charter boat tour research, this one looks promising for a different perspective and seeing either Amalfi or Sorrento: https://www.positano.com/en/c/plaghia-charter/i/SLV65

Sunday: Ferry from Positano to Capri to check into AirBNB for 2 nights. Have ruled out Ischia and will just relax and explore Capri - any restaurant "must do's" appreciated!

Tuesday: Capri to Rome - seems best route is ferry from Capri to Naples and then take the train to Termini. We have a hotel booked for 1 night within walking distance of the station (Hotel Raffaello based on recs found here, thank you!)

Wednesday: depart FCO 6:05pm. Since it's a Wednesday, we put our names on the Papal Audience ticket list at 9:30am but I'm reading we'd have to be there HOURS in advance to have a decent viewing spot. Not sure I'll be game for this at the end of this trip....anyone experienced this recently and can speak to this?

VERY open to any and all critiques, additions, suggestions especially on transportation on the above as we're in the home stretch!! Thank you SO much!

Last edited by nycgirl1; Apr 7th, 2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 08:43 AM
kja

Originally Posted by nycgirl1 View Post
Weds - Saturday - Determine how to best day trip to Amalfi, Sorrento, Ravello and Pompeii as our preferred sites. Advice on how to split those up or combine appreciated as this is where I'm most at a loss.
Pompeii can take a full day. Try to see the archeological museum in Naples while you are in Naples.
Amalfi and Ravello are easily paired. Consider a bus from Amalfi to Ravello and then walking from Ravello to Amalfi.
I'm not sure I would go to Sorrento just for sightseeing.
You aren't going to try to see Paestum?
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja View Post
Pompeii can take a full day. Try to see the archeological museum in Naples while you are in Naples.
Amalfi and Ravello are easily paired. Consider a bus from Amalfi to Ravello and then walking from Ravello to Amalfi.
I'm not sure I would go to Sorrento just for sightseeing.
You aren't going to try to see Paestum?
We're trying to be fairly relaxed and not on the move the whole time - thought we should choose between Pompeii and Paestum and Pompeii won out, but maybe we should reconsider?

Also unrelated question I forgot to ask: reading conflicting things about booking our FCO - Naples and return leg train tickets in advance. Seems the FCO - Naples exact time prediction is too risky as we'd be at a loss if any delays caused us to miss the train, and we should just buy the right train when we get to FCO. Is that correct? But on the return leg we should be able to predict our Naples - FCO timing and will save by buying in advance. I think?

Thanks!!