Ouessant / Ushant

Search

Ouessant / Ushant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2024, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouessant / Ushant

Hello fellow travellers, I am struggling to find much info on Fodors forum about the above island off the coast of Brittany.
Ever since seeing the famous photo of the Phare de la Jument (massive wave breaking on ‘at sea’ lighthouse)I’ve wanted to see it and the island.

Has anyone been? By ferry? Where did you stay? Could you see most in a day trip?

We will be in the region in early May, would love to hear any experiences,
thank you,
Oz
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 11:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ozgirl
Hello fellow travellers, I am struggling to find much info on Fodors forum about the above island off the coast of Brittany.
Ever since seeing the famous photo of the Phare de la Jument (massive wave breaking on ‘at sea’ lighthouse)I’ve wanted to see it and the island.

Has anyone been? By ferry? Where did you stay? Could you see most in a day trip?

We will be in the region in early May, would love to hear any experiences,
thank you,
Oz
I've moored a yacht in a bay and not gone ashore but that was 50 years ago. I've taken a ferry to Brehat and Re. I'm assuming it is much the same, but never placed a foot on it. https://www.brittanytourism.com/dest...roise-islands/ Should be fun.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 02:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Then again, if the ferry is operating, you can be assured that you won't see any dramatic waves that day or crossings would be cancelled.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, seems that it’s not been popular with Fodorites!
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Consider Belle-Île- en- Mer instead.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 09:26 PM

OzGirl, we were just in southern Brittany this past fall. Although we did not visit that archipelago, there were kiosk postcards featuring collages of that very Ouessant phare/faro with accompanying magnificent waves. That imagery is probably considered a 'money shot' for pro photographers. Have seen similar lighthouse/wave pictures from Ireland and also Portugal---great stuff yeah?
Guessing that maybe travelers have to go to take a ferry from Brest. We never got north of Camaret so can't advise more than that.
An email to Brest Tourism with your questions will likely produce results. We always conclude such queries with, "If you do not know the answer, then please will you direct us to another more appropriate source?"

Bon chance.
I am done. The big splash
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 04:49 PM

Hello, I visited Ouessant few years ago. For me, a day trip is OK.
The ride of the ferry was quite bumpy, surprisingly much more rough between Brest and Pointe saint Mathieu. We were very few to board in Brest and the captain told us he was not sure he could make it between pointe st Mathieu and Ouessant. We took our chance and the captain was eventually comfortable with his "repères".
I tried on another occasion but we couldn't board as we had not booked.

Just to say that advance booking is essential. And be prepared for a cancelation if the captain doesn't feel comfortable.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you rouelan. Could you share a little more about your day on the island please?
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 01:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The area of the sea you are discussing is the confluence of water flows up from the Bay of Biscay and out from the Channel (read also north and west), when these meet and they do twice in 24 hours they make the waters here very very choppy. Sailors, rather than powered boat users, tend to plan their pass through period to avoid the worst of it. Ferries run to schedules. Luckily the isle is out of the worst of this comingling.
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ozgirl
Thank you rouelan. Could you share a little more about your day on the island please?
hello. Well, the most memorable part was the crossing. We hiked the trails on the island. There are nice but you will find dozens of similar coastal paths in Brittany. We did not visit the museum (or museums?) but had some crêpes and cider in Lampaul.
you would probably be disappointed if your main objective is phare de la Jument. As it is still quite far, you will merely see a pinhead. Maybe there are more inspiring things about the lighthouse (and others like Kereon or Pierres noires) in the musueum.
if you want to see a similar lighthouse, you could go to pointe du raz with phare de la vieille in view.
If you are interested in small islands, I have not been there for years but I think I preferred Sein.