Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Otranto,Puglia- Beach weather last week may????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there we have a two week tip to puglia from 19th-may to 2 june and have a villa booked in Aerobello/Locorotondo region.

However there are a couple of places we are considering leaving our villa for to stay over night in even thought it will mean incurring the extra B&B/hotel cost. We are also happy to do so as will give my partner a chance to have a couple of evening meals out where he can drink as our villa is in countryside so would need to drive to restaurants when there. Ok so here are our two possible over-nighters

1. Matera in first week, we are pretty much set on this as we want to see this at night. But any gorgeous cave style romantic restaurant ideas would go down well???

2. A night in Otranto in the last week. We would get up early and drive down-go to a beach- arrive otranto late afternoon/ early evening stay over night, with dinner in town- spend the morning there at market (wednesday) the next day and then visit another beach in the area in afternoon and come back in the evening. Again any romantic restaurnt choices would be appreciated (tripadvisor seems to suggest there are not many super good choices)

However main reason for the latter is to visit the beaches in this area so my question is am i taking a but of a risk this time of year. I am from UK so don't need it to be boiling or anything, but would want to swim in sea? is this realistic this time of year/what are chances of rain??

Many thanks in advance
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:30 AM

Hello again, HG!

1. We had a very good dinner at Le Botteghe in Matera. The architecture is striking, as it is inside a cave in the sassi. Furnishings are simple, as it the norm in Matera eateries as far as I could see, so I am not sure if it fits the "romantic" wish, but take a look at the photos:

http://www.hotelamatera.it/index.php...mid=73&lang=en

The luxury hotel San Angelo has a beautiful restaurant but I did not eat there; see photos. If that interests you,I will ask my sister who DID stay there a few months ago:

http://hotelsantangelosassi.it/en/ristorante_info.asp

More on #2 later!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

hey there, ekscrunchy - thanks so much- that is so weird- Le Bottege was my leading choice!! I only got to know about Matera through a UK programme called "Eating in the Sun", i only wish i knew what restaurant that was because i really want to go to that one more than anything. I think there is a chance it is in fact le bottege but i cant be sure! We are really excited about our trip- i booked this ages ago so really looking forward to it.

Thanks so much, off to look at your second link now
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

oh wow- the luxury place looks so nice!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM

Back with a few more thoughts; good to think about Puglia on this dreary day in New York!

There were plenty of people in the sea when I was there last year early May, but the water was too cold for me to swim at that time. But I am a warm water fan and consider water under 80F to be "cold!" I think there is a good chance of sunny, clear days, though.

Look at Alimini Lakes, Torre del Orso, and Porto Badisco to name 3 beach areas I've seen and think are beautiful.

I did not have dinner in the town of Otranto; we stayed at a masseria just outside the town on a Sunday and Monday nights, when many places were closed.

But we did see one very pretty, sleek restaurant that I would have been keen to try, as they have received very good reports. Located in the old town of Otranto but not on the sea. Decor is more contemporary than traditional Italian.

http://www.laltrobaffo.com/storiae.html

Remember that you must try to visit a bakery to sample the famous bread of Matera; I even brought a loaf home with me to New York but you can enjoy it in the villa! You must not miss Matera.

Sounds like a wonderful trip that you've planned.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:02 AM

Remember that I was in Puglia the first week in May, and I'm sure the water will be much warner by the end of the month!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Hey ekscrunchy....thank you for the info- that is really helpful, i expect it should be lovely in late May (well hopefully anyway!!)

all those beach suggestions are great- i think we will definitely do the Otranto trip now-thanks

Ok, will seek out the bakery idea- didn't know that was a Matera thing so thank you.

Aww, New York is a place i would be happy to spend the winter in!! one of only a handful of places i have chosen to return to (three times!!)

Thanks again for all your help... incedently what was the masseria like? we could be convinced to switch for something like that in the area instead

Hg
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Do you mean the masseria near Otranto: Masseria Montelauro? If so, it was a very beautiful place and you could easily imagine the exterior and grounds, and the reception area/dining areas as settings for a Vogue or Elle photo shoot. We had the least expensive room and it was more minimalist/less spectacular, but also very attractive. (The more expensive rooms have those gorgeous vaulted ceilings). Service at the front desk is a bit minimalist, but competent.

The location is excellent, as the drive to Otranto itself is only about 5 minutes or less.

I'm happy to answer any further questions.

http://www.masseriamontelauro.it/en/default.asp