Notices

Masseria in Puglia near ostuni

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masseria in Puglia near ostuni

We are going to Puglia at the end of September. I have read about Masseria Il frontoio and it sounds nice, but is rather expensive and not air conditioned. I also read about Masseria San Martino, which is quite a bit less expensive, but there are no recent reports on Trip Advisor. Has anyone stayed at either one recently? If so, I would appreciate hearing what you think about the rooms and the location. Thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 03:09 AM

The location is outside Ostuni and comparable to that of Il Frantoio. I think it is a very good location. ( I've stayed nearby at another masseria twice already and will return later this year).
You are well placed for sightseeing and for restaurants, and near the beaches as well.

It looks fine to me from the brief glimpse I can see online.

Read the July 25 post here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...elp-wanted.cfm
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Il Frantoio is a rustic organic foodie paradise - the evening multi-course menu you eat in the courtyard is one of my puglian highlights (and I go to puglia several times a year), but if you aren't a foodie and prefer a pool, then it may not be for you. I wouldn't be put off by the lack of air conditioning though, the ancient building is specifically designed to withstand the outdoor heat and the rooms are lovely and cool.

I'm not familiar with Masseria San Martino which looks more like a nice hotel than the foodie destination of Il frantoio.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Kate: Since you are familiar with the area, would you mind sharing more of your favorite eating places in the region? I am sure I am not the only one here who would be grateful for more restaurant tips.

I believe that Il Frantoio allows non-resident guests to reserve for a meal. But they do not offer their famous multi-course meals every day in late September, so you should check first..at least that is the information that I've read. I've not been there myself.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kate. I am much more of a foodie than a swimmer, so I don't care about having a pool. I don't eat meat, but someone on TA mentioned a multi-course vegetarian lunch. It wasn't clear to me from the hotel's message whether they are serving dinners or lunches in September.

I also noticed that Masseria Montenapoleone got very good reviews on TA, but it is closer to Martina Franca than Ostuni. How to choose? It all sounds good, but I always spend a lot of time trying to find just the right place.

I would be interested in eating places as well. From these message boards it sounds like there are quite a few people who know Puglia very well. I can hardly wait.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 02:07 AM

Masseria Montenapoleone is also in Pezze di Greco, near Ostuni.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 05:16 AM

We stayed at a lovely masseria although it was close to Conversano. Would that be an option for you? It was not expensive at all and it had the option of an evening meal served for you if you like. It is Agriturismo Montepaolo.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ri_Puglia.html
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

We ended up staying at Il Frontoio and were very happy with our choice. The room was nice, the common areas were beautiful and very helpful staff.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 07:20 PM

We had a wonderful meal at Il Frontaio, but we stayed at Masseria La Rascina, just down the hill from Ostuni. It was so lovely and perfect! We stayed there three nights, but are hoping to back again for a week. The area is a perfect location.
I have a trip report if you click on my name, with some recommendations in the area.

Btw, If a pool is important to you, Il Frontaio doesn't have one. That factor and the lack of air conditioing pushed us toward La Rascina, and we were very happy with our decision.

You will LOVE Puglia!
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 01:37 AM

We are currently at montepaulo and recommend it highly. It is lovely, beautiful pool, simple but delicious food, very comfortable.
Lots of stairs .
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 09:12 AM

We stayed in Masseria Spetterrata last week, 5 min. from Frantoio. Good breakfast and dinners. View over the Valle d'Itria from most of the rooms. All with A/C and great pool in the garden. Kind hosts.