Ostia Antica with kids

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ostia Antica with kids

Thinking of doing this as a day trip from rome. Do I need a guide or is whatever there sufficient to understand.

Any advise appreciated.

Also, any feedbact on Context Italy for the child friendly tours would be appreciated.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:33 AM

When we visited with kids we were given a map and explanation in English on a laminated sheet. Worked fine for us.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM

I'd also copy from your library some guidebook coverages of Ostia Antica - maybe study a bit beforehand with kids - about the Fish Market, etc. so excite them a bit. but yes easy to get to via metro to entrance and not an overwhelming site. I loved it!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM

At the far end of the park you'll find a little "bar". It has a great mosaic of 2 ancient fighters, Helix and (somebody else). The kids will find it interesting if they compare the mosaic to how modern wrestlers are portrayed.

dave
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM

ellene,
I have taken ten year olds to Ostia Antica several times and they have all loved it. Used the audio guides and the kids were happy. Used just the map and guide book and the kids were happy. This was a winner for all the kids.

See http://www.ostia-antica.org/indexes.htm

Henry
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Rick Steves also has a nice guided walk that is downloadable from his website (http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...taly/ostia.htm).

Paul
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, looks like it may be a winner. How long a trip from Rome?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM

ellene,
About 40 minutes.

Henry
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 03:41 AM

It is a nice, easy day trip from Rome by train. I know there are boat trips to Ostia Antica along the Tiber from Rome which might be an interesting way to get there, at least one way. I think a short guided tour included, but you could jump ship and stay on longer if you wanted, returning by train.

I thought the information I had in my guidebook plus the map they gave at the entrance was a little less detail than I would have liked, so if you can find information ahead of time that would be good. There are audio guides but they don't explain more than about 1/3 of the buildings. A lot of the good detailed information on line is in Italian only

The museum was closed when we were there on a Sunday afternoon so I don't know what it offers--had the impression it had art work rather than exhibits to orient you to the site. And, in any event, it is quite far into the excavated area so you wouldn't reach it for a while. The bookstore is in the same location.

I would take sandwiches, snacks, etc in. The cafeteria offerings weren't good. There were no places to buy food right outside when we were there in early march, but maybe there are more in summer. there is a small bar at the train station but I am not sure what selection it would have. It is a short walk to the (small) town.

Be sure to take lots of water!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:42 AM

We loved Ostia Antica. We started with the audio guides but they were too detailed/not easy to work so we ditched them after a bit. I would buy the book that shows the before and after with transparencies. Don't spend too much time at the beginning bits. I would head straight to the theatre area, then the forum area and then go back to some of the other spots on your way out. You will be amazed at how accessible the ruins are. This was a great part of our trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I took the Context Rome tour of Ostia and am so glad that I did.The docent,Darius,is doing research there and knew it like the back of his hand.