Search

Oscars

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 05:21 PM
catherine

Oscars

Well its the weekend of the Oscars.I thought this year that it was relevant to Europe.Shakespeare in love, England.Saving private Ryan, France. <BR>The film that should win hands down is It's a beautiful life.This movie is the best I have seen for a long time.I thought it was an absoloute masterpiece.The Italians have really excelled. I also think that the Italian actor should win best actor.Thats my two cents worth. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 09:31 PM
Dayle

I would vote Life is Beautiful for best Picture, Best Actor. I would also vote Emily Watson for Best Actress. I can't speak for the 2 war movies. I try to skip violent films, whether true stories or not!

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 10:41 PM
Maira

Agree with 'Life is Beautiful". Does anybody know where the town scenes were filmed? The town square was absolutely gorgeous! <BR> <BR>As far as "Saving Private Ryan", we went in some of the German bunkers that remain on the beaches, and it gave me such impression to think that such a beautiful place was the site of such a brutal episode. You can stll see fragments of shattered artillery and gun steel imbedded in the ground. If anything, the movie has outstanding technical merits.

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 02:06 AM
Catherine

Sorry I meant Life is beautiful.This computer is frying my brain.Agree with Emily Watson for best actress. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 04:36 AM
Al

According to the newspaper, the town scenes in "Life Is Beautiful" were shot in Arrezzo. Only one scene in "Private Ryan" was shot in France: the military cemetery. All other scenes were made in Ireland and in England. Oddly, tourism to Normandy has increased by a fairly substantial percentage since the film was released. About 30%, if I recall correctly.

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 02:43 PM
Robin

Great pics, all. Although I did love "Life is Beautiful", I really was taken with the actors & screenplay for "Shakespeare in Love". It's a delight to experience something so clever & well written. <BR>Although I believe that "Saving Private Ryan" will take the best picture award, I REALLY hope that "Life is Beautiful" will capture the best foreign language film award. If any of you have seen Robert Begnini interviewed, he's hysterical & I think it'll be a great moment to witness him running around the stage & kissing everyone in gratitude!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Karen

The Italian scenes of Life is Beautiful (Bella e Vita) were filmed in Castiglion Fiorentino and, as someone earlier said, Arezzo. This is in an area that is not as "discovered" as other parts of Tuscany. I have been going there for more than 10 years, and I love it because it is off the beaten tourist trail, yet is it so close to all the famous Tuscan towns. Benigni is from Castiglion Fiorentino, I have been told, and therefore included his home town in the opening shots. <BR> <BR>Great movie, despite the controversy. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 07:33 PM
Karen

Well, of course, I meant "Vita e bella." <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 09:23 PM
Barbara

Well, the Academy Awards just ended and dear Roberto won two important oscars. The really wonderful thing about that is that many American moviegoers who would not ordinarily go to see a foreign film will now see Life is Beautiful just because of the publicity. Benigni's childlike exuberance is a wonder to behold and an amazing gift from Italy to us. If you have not seen his earlier film called "Johnny Stecchino" look for the video. A lighter theme and absolutely delightful. <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 09:55 PM
Carol

Life is Beautiful--it should have won for best picture. Best movie I've ever seen. I loved Robert Begnini's acceptance speech. There's hope for Hollywood. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 02:03 AM
susan

Horray for Roberto! I was impressed with all the choices (for a change). Life Is Beautiful was the Best Film but "Shakespeare In Love" was my second favourite. For those of you who haven't seen it "Gods and Monsters" is well worth a look. <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 05:41 PM
deepa

Roberto Benini is such a delightful person. It was great to see him on TV during the oscars. It's refreshing to see how he acts/speaks from his heart, no inhibitions, no worries about what others think - he certainly made the others look inadequate. Good thing he did well !! <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:05 PM
Richard

roberto needs to get out of hollywood fast and return to italy before this place turns him into a phoney.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:04 AM
Erin

Am I the only person in the world who liked Elizabeth? IMHO, Cate Blanchett was robbed of the Best Actress award! I think Dame Judi Dench is incredible, but Lynn Redgrave was OUTSTANDING in "Gods and Monsters". She completely transformed herself into this dour, self-righteous, Hungarian housekeeper. The whole time you are watching her, you forget what she really looks like!

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:35 AM
catherine

I need to get out to the movies more often.I had never even heard of Gods and monsters until I read these postings.I haven't seen Shakespeare in love either. My husband had an interesting thought about Roberto.He thought rather than acting in Life is beautiful,Roberto was just being himself.Therefore is Hollywood rewarding personality or acting ? Personally I was glad he won for best actor.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:59 AM
Gene

The Academy is so political that the recipients are often given the Oscar for reasons other than the awards' intent. Even though I really like Judi Dench in Shakespeare, I think she was given the Oscar this year for her performance last hear in Mrs. Brown. Since Life is Beautiful should have won other awards, but didn't have much of a chance against Saving Private Ryan, giving Benigni the best Actor award was the Academy's way of compensation. James Coburn got a sympathy award for supporting Actor. Malick got the biggest sympathy recognition for his awful movie, Thin Red Line. Oh, it could have been a good movie if about 2 hours would have been cut out. I could go on. I think you get my drift. <BR> <BR>By the way, look for Tom Hanks to win best actor next year for his fabulous performance in Saving Private Ryan this year.