Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Orvietto to Florence or Venice, How long Florence with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone can help me with my question. We will be travelling in June with 11 year old girl and 14 year old boy. We will be in Rome 3 days and Venice 3 days. We also want to do 2 nights in CT and 2-3 nights in San G. How many days are appropriate for kids in Florence? It seems they may be museumed out by then, but I want them to see David and Uffizi. Is one day enough, two or three?
I was also considering Orvietto. Would the kids enjoy that? What would be the best way to go? Rome/Orvietto by train? Then can you do train Orvietto/Venice? Or would it be better to take a day trip from San G to Orvietto by car(we will have a car then).
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Hi,

My family went to Florence two years ago when my son was 13 and daughter was 11. They loved the attractions and the gelato.

We took a day trip to Pisa and that is what they discussed most with their friends.

Have a good trip,

==Mike
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Hi,

We were there three days and needed five.

==Mike
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
ira

Hi A,

Please keep in mind that each time you change locations, you lose about 1/2 day.

Have you considered staying in Rome, Florence and Venice: visit Orvieto from Rome and Siena and San G from Florence?

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM

One day in Florence is more than enough for me--but I'm not a Renaissance art and architecture groupie. If your kids are nutty about Renaissance art museums and buildings, plus--in the summer--traffic, air pollution, noise, heat, humidity, and crowds, then they should love Florence.

Yeah, I know many millions of people love Florence and that's great for them. For a variety of reasons beyond my control, I've been there several times over the past 45 years and its charms have never enticed me.

You can get excellent gelato in any Italian city--it's not exclusive to Florence.

Like Mike's kids, our son also talked more about Pisa than Florence. Though at that time young Fly was an older teenager than your's, amazingrace.

He loved Venice (he somehow managed to find the local Venetian teenage crowd and we didn't see him for hours at a time), Rome, and the Naples/Amalfi Coast area (though Mrs. Fly and I didn't find Naples particularly worthwhile in comparison to other destinations, he took to it right away for some reason).
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
jgg

I agree wholeheartedly with Ira. You may find my trip report helpful. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34599242

We travelled with our kids last March (age 9 and 12 at the time) 6 nights Rome, 4 nights Venice, 4 nights Florence.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:25 PM
ira

ttt