Reload this Page >

Orvieto or Montepulciano - seeking simplicity

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Dorothy

I would like to spend a night or two between Florence and Rome on my way to Sorrento in mid-October. Orvieto and Montepulciano both look tempting, and seem more or less on the train route, but the hotels I have seen listed all seem to have color TV’s & air conditioning, which is not what I am looking for. Does anyone have suggestions for simple hotels or B&B’s in those towns that can be gotten to without a car? Or do you have a favorite town on the route that I haven’t mentioned? Restaurant suggestions are welcome, too! BTW, are restaurants any less expensive off-season (or isn’t mid-October off-season)?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Peggi

We stayed on a agriturismo just outside Montepulciano last summer and loved it -named Metina. Operated by Monica and Alberto. I'm sure you could find it with a search.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Henly Gold

In Buonconvento there is a hotel called Hotel Roma. It is walking distance (2 short blocks) to train. You can take a train direct from Florence (Buonconvento is 25 minutes south of Siena on the train). In Buonconvento you can have a fabulous dinner at Mario's. Restaurant and hotel are on very quaint carless street within the walls of the city. Hotel Roma is very quaint and has no modern amenities. The town is very nice and not very toursity, much more local. From Buonconvento, you would have to take train to Grosetto and switch there for train to Rome. You will love this area of Tuscany, with a true local flair.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Dayle

Hi Dorothy!<BR><BR>We loved Orvieto! Stayed at Palazzo Piccolomini, which you can get to with no car. Totally Italian, small hotel in an old converted palazzo. Breakfast included & good. There is TV, but you don't have to watch it!<BR><BR>Orvieto is wonderful with much to see & an almost tourist-free atmosphere. Only tourists are around the duomo mid-day from tour buses or passing through. If you stay overnight, you'll have the ancient streets to yourself. <BR><BR>Food & wine fantastic, art wonderful, cave tour very interesting & unique. Duomo gorgeous! Easy walking city, flat compared to Montepulciano which is very steep.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Dorothy

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked up Metina, but the website says it’s a ten minute drive from Montepulciano, which suggests that it’s more car-friendly than otherwise. Hotel Roma looks lovely, and I will definitely keep it and Buonconveto in mind. Palazzo Piccolomini looks wonderful, too (quite a website!), but aside from its being a bit pricey for me I really do prefer, when traveling alone at least, a simple traditional room rather than a multifunctional hotel. In Greece you can usually find them by walking around the older areas of a town & looking for signs advertising “rooms” or “pension” or the equivalent. They probably wouldn’t be advertising on the net, but I thought someone in the forum might be familiar with this kind of thing... Fresh air and an interesting view out a window is more important to me than a private bath, as long as the place is reasonably clean.<BR><BR>I will also be looking for this kind of place somewhere on the Amalfi coast, if you have any ideas.<BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Betsy

Doro, here's a hotel in Orvieto that might fit your wishes. I have stayed here on two different trips to Orvieto. It is a conventional hotel but fairly simple. The reason I like to stay there is the beautiful view over the piazza and the duomo. Ask for a room at the front if you decide to book there. The decor is early '50s, clean but not much ambience. We paid about $80/room for a double including a simple breakfast. I read about the hotel in Margo Classe's Hello Italy. Oh yes, there's a great gelateria a few doors down. <BR><BR>Hotel Virgilio (Room No. 26)<BR>Piazza Duomo 5/6 05018 Orvieto<BR>Tel: 0763 341 882<BR>Fax: 0763 343 797<BR>When were were last there, there was no website or e-mail. Phone during the business day for an English-speaking desk clerk.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Dorothy

I noticed a reference to Hotel Virgilio, Betsy - and you cast the deciding vote. Many thanks! I've made a reservation and can now concentrate on the Amalfi Coast. This becomes something of an obsession, doesn't it? Even if something happens and I can't go, though, I'll feel as though I've been there after so much fantasizing.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Betsy

Be sure to report in when you return. Have a gelato for me!<BR><BR>Buon viaggio